5 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: How Many Different Boards Could You Make? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ze Black
Canada
flag msg tools
While I know that all the information is not out yet for the game, but I'd like to accumulate the different choices which can be made to affect the game.
Since there is not enough information about the scars/player powers, my items deal with the end game rewards.
I have divided the changes into two groups; the first is the one which involve the game board, and the second is the one which affects the Territory Cards.

These are the choices I've found which affect the board:

For example you can place 5 major cities in 42 territories, making for 850,668 different boards with those choices alone.
9 minor cities in 42 territories = 445,891,810
14-15 Cities (depending if the world capital evolves from a major city) can have one of 5 shields = 2002 or 3003
There is one +1 and one -1 continent bonus changers for 6 continents = 15
Naming to continents has an unlimited number of names; so I can't think of a number for this choice.
(Winning affects the game, but who wins is too subjective to give a number)

These are the choices I've found which affect the cards:

You can destroy up to 15 of 42 cards = 98,672,427,616
There are 47 coins for 42 territories, but since each card can have up to 5 added to it, I am unsure how to calculate the different permutations.

Finally there is a limitation of 15 winners, so only 15 of all the possible winner rewards could be accomplished, and 0-60 rewards for players who held on.

Seeing as we don't have all the information to date; I would like feedback regarding my numbers and if you have a better way of calculating the number of different boards people could end up with.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of complete worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of that will depend on if the destroyable cards are all diffrent, or if there are duplicates in the mix. I'd guess that they are very likely all diffrent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
the question is not "how many different combinations are there", but "will different games result in a meaningfully different board"... If the cards that can be ripped up don't make much of an impact on gameplay then it doesn't matter how many combinations there are of card ripping - it's still the same game.

for example, take your favorite board game that has cards and pull out 10% of the cards. Does it play the same? Is it substantially different? Some games will have little impact, some games will be quite different (better or worse).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Vey
United States
Breinigsville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haqattaqq wrote:
the question is not "how many different combinations are there", but "will different games result in a meaningfully different board"... If the cards that can be ripped up don't make much of an impact on gameplay then it doesn't matter how many combinations there are of card ripping - it's still the same game.

for example, take your favorite board game that has cards and pull out 10% of the cards. Does it play the same? Is it substantially different? Some games will have little impact, some games will be quite different (better or worse).

I think that ripping up the territory cards could have a large impact on the play of subsequent games - especially if that territory card happens to have 6 coins and a major city on it. A major city allows a player to place their starting armies there (at least until the initial placement rule changes). All that player would have to do is defend his city until that territory card came up and voila, 6 coins for reinforcements. Ripping up that card would remove that threat to the other players, freeing them up to take on other priorities.

If I knew that a player was guaranteed to start every game on a six coin territory, I'd be gunning for him, or ripping that card up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the card destruction, especially the territories, is to help balance the game if players stack too much good stuff into one area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.