Popular Tags: [View All]
Emperor Penguin
United States
Mercer
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping that typing this out will help me vent so I can make it thru at least one more day.

Basically like the title says, I hate my job. I really liked the job for the first few years but the last few years have felt like torture. (I know I should be happy at least I have a job. And know I won't get fired, which is one big reason why I haven't quite yet)

Here is why I think I hate it:

1) The sales team is selling functionality we don't have. Then we developers need to write that functionality in a hurry.

2) Also over the past four years my original gang of work friends have quite and taken other (better) jobs.

3) I too should have quite fours years ago. Back then a coworker who had an almost identical career as me left for a new job making significantly more money than I make even now.

4) To try and get a little more money I got myself promoted to a "team lead". Although it does have its perks I still think that was the worst decision I made (other than not quitting 4 years ago). In all honesty I think I jumped to this role too soon. Now I spend a lot of my time managing and not programming and therefore I'm not expanding my programming knowledge very much.

5) Ultimately I'm just burned out and there is not sign of things ever going back to how things were five years ago.

So I'm stuck in a rut and I feel I'm too young to be here (I'm only 30). I need a job where I can grow as a developer, feel a sense of accomplishment, and take pride in what I do. Not just crank out crap as fast as we can to meet the promises of a salesmen to a company who hasn't even signed a contract (yeah, we've spend thousands of hours and hired additional people to work on a project for a large customer who didn't sign a contract and then backed out of the deal. And we are part of a BIG company, we should know better).

If there were other job options in the area I would quite in a second but this is the only place in like a 60 mile radius. So I'd have to move, which means trying to sell a house in this terrible housing market.

But I'm at the point now where I think I'm willing to just sell the house, quite my job, and start over some place else.

Anyone want to hire a small town C# developer who loves board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My first job out of college was at Intel. It was a lot of fun at first. At about the 4 or 5 year mark I was put into a job where I did the same damn thing (Windows NT network device driver programming for server interconnects) over and over and over and over again. I tried to switch jobs within the company but was told "Gee, sure we'd like to have you doing this other stuff, but you're the only one who knows how to do these drivers."

I should have quit, but I stayed on until I got my 7 year sabbatical and vesting. In retrospect, that was a horrible decision. I hated my job, I was unhappy, and it would have been way better to quit, take an unpaid sabbatical of my own, lose the vesting money (which ended up being not all that much anyway), then get a job that I liked.

I guess I'm tying to say, I've been there in a sucky job I hated, and my advice is, QUIT NOW if you can afford the risk. If not, start full-time job hunting now. You spend so much time at work, it needs to be something that won't make you miserable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got retained at one of my past jobs (Software QA), when 90% of the folks got laid off during a takeover. In retrospect, it was not as fortunate as I had hoped. The dot-bomb happened, and after a year or so, I got laid off and was unable to find QA work - by that time, all the out of work programmers were taking the available QA jobs. My "unfortunate" friends ended up mostly getting nice jobs at major software companies, that they still hold.

They now make much, much more than me. I've had to switch carriers a few times, including doing a stint doing blue-collar warehouse work for a year when software jobs were not to be had.

Now I'm in IT, but I don't hate my current job, at least. Just wish I made more - buying a house right before the housing bubble + pay cuts does not make things fun.

*sigh*

[Edit] I dunno what I'm trying to say, other than co-whining. While I probably made the wrong decision, and should have jumped ship back then, I don't think I could have know it at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to look for a new one, and then make the jump. Always have something else lined up before you go. Things are just too uncertain right not to quit.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
firstly, GREENVILLE, PA?!?!?!
I was born just south of there.
you're right, you have very few career opportunities out there.

secondly,
I could write a book about how sales departments basically run companies, and that everyone else is considered "support" to the almighty sales staff. too bad I am guessing that book has already been written by someone else. fuck sales. seriously. in the ass.

thirdly,
why not try getting work in Cranberry, PA? it's not super-far, and you could at least keep your house. That seems to be where a lot of jobs are these days in the area.

fourthly,
quitting is overrated. unless you already have bookoo bucks in the bank. because then you go from being angry at your job to being constantly scared of your lack of funds. at least if you're angry you can bitch, yet still be able to feed & clothe yourself.

fifthly,
don't judge yourself by what your friends get, because one day one of them will get cancer. then you won't mind not having their life. your day will come, just keep on track and put the effort into finding new work.

don't lose hope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
don't judge yourself by what your friends get, because one day one of them will get cancer. then you won't mind not having their life.

Wow, I never thought of it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
fuck sales. seriously. in the ass.

Word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you start your job search (and you should, soon) think hard about your feelings about being a team lead or in any management position.

If you do not like the management aspect of your current position make sure you are clear about wanting a programming position without management duties on your resume and as you interview.

Make it a positive and not a negative. Tell them you've tried management and that while you are good at it, programming is your strength and what gives you satisfaction in your work.

Two good things about that, too. There are a lot more out of work managers out there than programmers. You will likely have an easier time getting work. Also, you will probably like your new job much better than your current one and more than any new manager job you might take.

My husband did that when he hired on at his current job (now something like 12 years ago) and he's very happy with his work and makes plenty even without the manager salary.

A company worth working for will recognize the value of a person who knows what he does well and what he feels comfortable doing at work.

It's almost never better to stay somewhere you hate if there's any possibility of going somewhere else. Your physical and mental health are factors here.

Good luck,
Helen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

Word.

Then, if you're lucky, you hear the company owners talking about how useless that piece of development was, that no clients use it, no one likes it, and they can't understand why your valuable time was spent creating it - and have long since forgotten that it was at their demand, that they approved the design, and that you advised against it. Then again, I did quit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with everyone else: you can make good money on the technical or the managerial side; pick what you like. I have found the technical side a happier place.

However, most team leads/supervisors/whatever do minimal paperwork and still spend most of their time on technical matters. If it's true, say that you don't mind being a team leader, but you don't like being swamped with paperwork and politics. Basically, figure out just what's making you crazy in your current job and try to get rid of just that.

But if you decide you'll be happiest just coding, go for that.

It may be worth looking at renting your home if you have to move, though my personal take is that home prices will continue to decline as the baby boomers retire.

The farther you move, the more generous the relocation package is likely to be. (Nothing in commuting range.) But, of course, your skill set has to justify the cost of that relocation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSoren wrote:
Then, if you're lucky, you hear the company owners talking about how useless that piece of development was, that no clients use it, no one likes it, and they can't understand why your valuable time was spent creating it - and have long since forgotten that it was at their demand, that they approved the design, and that you advised against it.

"Who was the idiot that approved this!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

Word.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate your job too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
secondly,
I could write a book about how sales departments basically run companies, and that everyone else is considered "support" to the almighty sales staff. too bad I am guessing that book has already been written by someone else. fuck sales. seriously. in the ass.

I was going to comment on that. In starting to read his post, I was, like..."where is he? He doesn't work for my company, does he? Kinda sounds like it..."

Yeah.

Sales.

Seriously, WTF.

The annoying thing is that the 'major players' (Microsoft, Intel, etc) have their own sales teams. So you cannot sell to them without having YOUR company's sales douches talking to THEIR company's sales douches and comparing who has the largest...cars. Or travel per-diem policies. And after circle-jerking each other around a while, they sign contracts of some kind, and THEN the developers finally get to talk with each other from both sides...finding out that one side was promised to deliver something that they couldn't, but that's fine because the other side didn't actually want anything like that, anyway. (It seems to be a prerequisite of working in sales for a software company that you have no idea what your company does...having a healthy fear of computers and technology also appears to be a big boon)

It's just insane how big business operates in this country. Trying to work from a small business selling to these companies is a major pain in the arse, as sales douches DO NOT TRUST (or are otherwise deathly afraid of) technical resources, so you simply cannot talk to them without your own sales team.

How the heck did things *get* this way? Other than keeping the 'good ol' boy network' employed, of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to feel the same way. Get your butt on Careerbuilder.com and Monster and find yourself something new. Eventually you'll find something good, but be patient. You're young. This too shall pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
I could write a book about how sales departments basically run companies, and that everyone else is considered "support" to the almighty sales staff. too bad I am guessing that book has already been written by someone else.

Jennifer Government by Max Barry is a good one. His other books touch on similar topics. Fiction, but they frighteningly real in many ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
It seems to be a prerequisite of working in sales for a software company that you have no idea what your company does...having a healthy fear of computers and technology also appears to be a big boon.

Word. Again.

I actually don't think sales have changed at all in, I dunno, a hundred years. What's changes is the complexity of what they're selling.

Fifty years ago, the yahoo could go in and BS his way through selling his company's tractors or type writers or whatever cuz everybody knows what those things are (even though I'm sure he still totally BS hyped the details). Nowadays you have the same yahoo in trying to sell his companies enterprise asset management tool with a third tier back end database that can, uh, with the thing that, uh, look I don't know what the fuck it does but it will make the shit that your company has that you don't know what the fuck it does work like TWICE as efficiently. Let's go get some drinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only been unemployed twice in my life; once involuntarily and once voluntarily. In the latter example, I was in a very high stress job that was making my physically and mentally ill. Without being able to afford it, I quit. I have never regretted it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose I could come up with something meaningful and uplifting to say ... but that seems like a lot of work, so here's a song I think about when I'm having a bad day at work:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, hearing about all these corporate jobs from hell make me glad I decided on the relatively low-pay but career-secure path of teaching math at the high-school level.

Of course, my first full day with students is tomorrow, so I may not feel quite so cheery come tomorrow evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
FWIW, hearing about all these corporate jobs from hell make me glad I decided on the relatively low-pay but career-secure path of teaching math at the high-school level.

You just keep telling yourself that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
don't judge yourself by what your friends get, because one day one of them will get cancer. then you won't mind not having their life.

Wow, I never thought of it that way.

Being freelance, I console myself sometimes by playing the game: If someone has something I want, it is because they are willing to do something I am not.
whether it's get up and go to a job everyday in rush hour traffic, to working a 40 hour week, it keeps me happy knowing I am free to make as much or little as I want each week without a boss standing in my back pocket and making my life miserable.
I am liking what I do even if I don't have a boat or a summer home, I get what I need to keep me going. And that's the secret. What do YOU need?

Is it money, is it freedom, is it fame, is it to keep up with the Jonses? figure that out and the rest will follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Definitely sounds like time to plan for a new job, whatever that means exactly for you.

If you really don't like managing, maybe you can change back to programming again at your current place, until you're ready to jump ship?

If you are truly burned out, try to take some significant time off, if you can. Or at least make other changes in your life - a change is as good as a vacation, sometimes, as the saying goes.

Whatever all this advice might be worth.

Best of luck. I think we can all relate to what you're going through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
thirdly,
why not try getting work in Cranberry, PA? it's not super-far, and you could at least keep your house. That seems to be where a lot of jobs are these days in the area.

I work in Cranberry Twp and went to GCC. If you can hoof it to Cranberry (it's far but not that far) your opportunities are great. And plenty of places are hiring, though I have no idea if it's in your field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
The person you need to be telling this to is your boss. If he/she isn't the kind of person who you can talk to then you should start looking for other work that you'll enjoy because it's not going to get any better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.