Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Much Hype... yet No Reviews??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get it. This game has been in the Hotness on and off for quite a while. Developer needs to get it out to some reviewers (i.e. Tom Vasel, Undead Viking or Drakkenstrike).
Really curious if this game lives up to all the hype generated here on BGG???
TI:3 lite? Playable in 2 hours (really)???
Better than Galactic Emperor? (Not that this is a bad game, like it quite a bit myself! But what's better or different???)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
Avatar
mbmbmb
The game is in prototype form and hasn't yet been published. I am sure it will see plenty of reviews once it is available.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait 'till the final copies reach our shivering hands... reviews will be all over the place.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space is available for rental
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can read polish http://www.gamesfanatic.pl/2011/08/24/przepraszam-co-mysli-p...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yosz wrote:
Google Translate to the rescue!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as we can get copies be sure some reviewers will be happy to make a report on it. For now we only have one proto version.

Maybe 2 hours is short with some groups, it can easily take 3 hours with slower players. But it is the kind of game you always have something to do, so it's a full 2-3 hours.

My opinion doesn't really count since we will distribute the game, wait until the reviewers will make reports, but I really think you will have to play it at least one time, there's too much stuff going in the game to get what this is all about. Like all the games of this kind.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2, 3, even 4 hours for a 6-player game of this depth will go over VERY well with my gaming group. Can't...freaking...wait.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I second that, well maybe not for 4 hours, but still.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo_1 wrote:
Don't get it. This game has been in the Hotness on and off for quite a while. Developer needs to get it out to some reviewers...


Dude! Extract head from rectum -- game hasn't even been published yet! Sheesh. whistle
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! As a matter of fact, I can read Polish!

yosz wrote:
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude! Take your own advice. They've posted a video of the game box with all the components. Rules are available. People have played it. Not an unreasonable query on my part. Why don't you take a look at Core Worlds. Also unpublished, yet reviews exist.


Lancer4321 wrote:
Neo_1 wrote:
Don't get it. This game has been in the Hotness on and off for quite a while. Developer needs to get it out to some reviewers...


Dude! Extract head from rectum -- game hasn't even been published yet! Sheesh. whistle
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo_1 wrote:
Dude! Take your own advice. They've posted a video of the game box with all the components. Rules are available. People have played it. Not an unreasonable query on my part. Why don't you take a look at Core Worlds. Also unpublished, yet reviews exist.


Lancer4321 wrote:
Neo_1 wrote:
Don't get it. This game has been in the Hotness on and off for quite a while. Developer needs to get it out to some reviewers...


Dude! Extract head from rectum -- game hasn't even been published yet! Sheesh. whistle
Dude! Take a look at the game's comments section. You'll get a pretty good idea based on the mini reviews there in the meantime.

Also, dude, you can't really compare Eclipse, a Finnish game, to Core Worlds, an American one, especially if you expect the likes of Tom, UV, and Drakkenstrike to take notice. (Actually, I know at least Drakken has taken notice and is looking to do a Components Breakdown video when he gets his hands on a copy.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Much Hype... yet No Reviews??
Just to clarify: at the moment three (or four?) handmade prototypes of the game exist. I don't even have a copy myself.. The game is being printed, and I'm sure once there are actual copies of the game available, there'll also be reviews, by Drakkenstrike and others.

The components in the video are pre-print mockups, so that's not a playable copy.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotora wrote:
Neo_1 wrote:
Dude!


Lancer4321 wrote:
Dude!


Dude!...

Also, dude...


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adebisi
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
404 Not Found
badge
Click to format C:\
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kilgore wrote:
Just to clarify: at the moment three (or four?) handmade prototypes of the game exist. I don't even have a copy myself.. The game is being printed, and I'm sure once there are actual copies of the game available, there'll also be reviews, by Drakkenstrike and others.

The components in the video are pre-print mockups, so that's not a playable copy.

I'm working on a review based on my 'Maturing review' concept. I just need to get my hands on the final product and get 10-15 more games under my belt before I really can give an honest opinion. Don't want to do it on the basis of a prototype.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Niittymaki
Finland
Helsinki
EU
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mb
Once the print run is ready, X copies will be flown to the US, and to Europe for marketing purposes. This includes sending review copies to reviewers, decided by the distributor in question in that country. As far as US is concerned, one copy is already promised for Mr. Drakkenstrike, who has told that he will make a video for Eclipse.

Lautapelit.fi
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
toniemn wrote:
Once the print run is ready, X copies will be flown to the US, and to Europe for marketing purposes. This includes sending review copies to reviewers, decided by the distributor in question in that country. As far as US in conserned, one copy is already promised for Mr. Drakkenstrike, who has told that he will make a video for Eclipse.


That's where you guys made your big mistake. It's obvious, if you would just listen to the advice of the OP, that you should have gotten your game into the hands of reviewers before it was printed. Even before it was designed, if possible.

(Note: I would be happy to review it for a free copy. whistle
...or a slice of pie.)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Niittymaki
Finland
Helsinki
EU
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mb
arkayn wrote:


That's where you guys made your big mistake. It's obvious, if you would just listen to the advice of the OP, that you should have gotten your game into the hands of reviewers before it was printed. Even before it was designed, if possible.

(Note: I would be happy to review it for a free copy. whistle
...or a slice of pie.)


Well, we have not paid so much attention to how other publishers launch their games, but so far we're quite happy with how things have gone with Eclipse. Touko and Sampo have made an excellent job in presenting the game for BGG users, and we think all who have followed the diaries have a pretty good understanding what the game is about.
Presenting unfinished game for reviewers has pros and cons, but in our view there's plenty of time for reviewers to do their tests while the games are in transit. The boat ride is 5-6 weeks after all.

Lautapelit.fi
4 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
toniemn wrote:
Well, we have not paid so much attention to how other publishers launch their games, but so far we're quite happy with how things have gone with Eclipse. Touko and Sampo have made an excellent job in presenting the game for BGG users, and we think all who have followed the diaries have a pretty good understanding what the game is about.
Presenting unfinished game for reviewers has pros and cons, but in our view there's plenty of time for reviewers to do their tests while the games are in transit. The boat ride is 5-6 weeks after all.


Just so we're 100% clear - I was 100% joking... Except about the pie.

I recognize you may have just quoted me but been addressing the OP's "concerns."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiousity, how did Marcin Krupiński and his friends from Poland get a chance to play this game (from Finland) several times? At least that's what I gathered from their reviews of the game (which by the way are very positive). Some European game convention???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never mind. I see they got some self made copies from some place called "Avangardzie", and played it on vacation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Niittymaki
Finland
Helsinki
EU
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mb
Neo_1 wrote:
Just out of curiousity, how did Marcin Krupiński and his friends from Poland get a chance to play this game (from Finland) several times? At least that's what I gathered from their reviews of the game (which by the way are very positive). Some European game convention???


As Sampo (kilgore) mentioned above, there are some hand made protos out there, one in Poland. Our Polish partner Rebel.pl has been very active with their copy and shown the game in many gaming events in Poland.

Lautapelit.fi
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Niittymaki
Finland
Helsinki
EU
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mb
arkayn wrote:


Just so we're 100% clear - I was 100% joking... Except about the pie.

I recognize you may have just quoted me but been addressing the OP's "concerns."


ok.

Just out of curiosity, to what do you refer with "OP"...?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
toniemn wrote:
Just out of curiosity, to what do you refer with "OP"...?


OP means Original Poster. Or possibly Original Post, depending on context.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space is available for rental
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toni is right. Polish publisher Rebel.pl had a prototype copy and was presenting it on several occasions. So far the game had really positive reception. Probably I'll be doing a full review for GamesFanatic.pl and probably will do a video one (from time to time I do reviews in both Polish and English) - but Drakkenstrike will do it better for sure
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.