4 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Variants

Subject: Heavy Terrain, Close Terrain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I was thinking while reading about battles in the heavy jungle of the Solomon Islands and New Guinea in the Pacific, how to recreate the heavy growth terrain where units can not see more than a few yards ahead.
So far I've come up with this variant, if anyone would like to try it here are some peliminary rules, any opinions are appreciated. thumbsup

HEAVY TERRAIN, CLOSE TERRAIN:
Heavy Woods, Heavy Jungle

-A terrain card with a RED border. You can call it either "Heavy Terrain" or "Close Terrain" (something like that?)

-No LOS into or out of the card.
-Potential Contact enemy placement is Always on same card.

Because fields of observation and fire in this type of terrain is severly restricted units almost always contacted the enemy at close ranges.
Therefore any Potentail Contact chart would have to be weighted so that you get mostly enemy dug-in emplacements on the same card.

For testing: use a few Woods cards, place bunkers, HMG and LMG teams, or squads in trenches, on the same card.

Some examples of possibly locations for "Heavy Terrain" in FoF scenarios are: jungles in the Pacific, heavily forested areas in Europe like the Hürtgen, Vosges, and Foret de Gremecey in Lorraine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C'mon, it's not that bad....cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a card with no LOS to or from it is too restrictive. IMO dense terrain can already be suitably represented with lots of +3 Jungle or Forest cards. The map scale of FoF is abstract - see 1.1.1.A:

Quote:
Each Terrain Card represents a geographic area where Company leaders can reasonably exercise command and control of their units through voice and hand signals. The size of this area depends on the terrain, ranging from 10-20 meters across in close terrain to 40-100+ meters in more open terrain. Accordingly, Range and Line of Sight are abstract as well.

First, this says that scale is determined by C&C considerations rather than weapon ranges. Plus, I also think of terrain cards as representing "tactically significant" areas. ANY tactically significant position would be able to engage adjacent areas - otherwise, the position really wouldn't have much purpose. In close terrain, that adjacent area may only be a jungle track 10m away.

For dense terrain you might think of "close range" - one card - as "just beyond hand grenade range" (and hand grenade range might be quite short with lots of trees in the way). I think you could still project useful VOF from there, even in rather dense jungle, and even if you can't see the target very well. Volume of Fire is not so much a matter of accuracy as how much lead you can put in the area. Also, the +3 cover value will make enemy units harder to spot (-1 card draw).

Point blank range ambushes can still occur via the Contact procedure (unit placement of "same card") - and the Enemy Package and Unit Placement tables could be designed to make it more likely.

One matter that might need special handling for very dense terrain, tho, is Incoming VOF. Just how much area would a barrage cover, and how close would troops be willing to call it in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark thank you for your lengthy and well thought out response.thumbsup
It is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for, I do truly appreciate you taking the time.
After reading your response, thinking about the terrain card system a bit more, reading some of what Ben posted throughout the years, I have to agree with you that the Enemy Package and Unit Placement tables are probably more suitable for getting the effect I want than by making radical new cards.

I'll keep this on the back burner for now.
I'm still trying to figure out how specific each terrain deck is.
If the intention was for each deck to cover a general campaign area (Normandy as a whole) or if each deck is really focused on the local terrain the unit fought over.
Ben mentions new terrain for locations like the Ardennes and Vietnam highlands (from reading through his old posts looks like he has a number of terrain decks ready).
I'll have to wait and see what he had in mind for the terrain card system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.