Recommend
18 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Innovation» Forums » News

Subject: Information on Innovation's International Availability from Asmadi and Iello rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This post is intended to clear up exactly where which versions of Innovation will be available for purchase, so that we don't have any misunderstandings. This october, Iello will release versions of Innovation for sale in Europe and other places, in French and in English (for places like the UK, Australia, and English-speaking folks elsewhere). Iello partners will also publish the game in language such as Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese, Russian and probably Dutch and Chinese too. Their version is functionally identical to ours, it simply has a different art style (very pretty! You can see it in the images section).

The Asmadi Games (English Only) version of Innovation will be available through stores and our website for customers in the United States and Canada (anywhere in North America). The French printing of Iello's version will be available to stores in Canada also. I hear a few of our neighbors to the north are francophones In Europe, Asia, South America, and Australia, Iello's versions will be available to stores, in whatever languages they wind up printing.

[We discussed this post with Iello before placing it here, for reference.]
8 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris.

What do those "age" images represent and when can we see an actual card image?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe those're the backs for the cards -- they don't have the numbers/text overlaid on them yet.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin B.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad there's no Polish version...

Anyway, I guess I'll end up ordering a copy from Asmadi games anyway - from what I see in the images, I prefer the graphics in the first edition... (Especially the cover AND card backs are superb - but maybe it's just me, a typography geek). Will you continue international shipping?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no such thing as local stores in South America...

angelkurisu wrote:
This post is intended to clear up exactly where which versions of Innovation will be available for purchase, so that we don't have any misunderstandings. This october, Iello will release versions of Innovation for sale in Europe and other places, in French and in English (for places like the UK, Australia, and English-speaking folks elsewhere). Iello partners will also publish the game in language such as Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese, Russian and probably Dutch and Chinese too. Their version is functionally identical to ours, it simply has a different art style (very pretty! You can see it in the images section).

The Asmadi Games (English Only) version of Innovation will be available through stores and our website for customers in the United States and Canada (anywhere in North America). The French printing of Iello's version will be available to stores in Canada also. I hear a few of our neighbors to the north are francophones In Europe, Asia, South America, and Australia, Iello's versions will be available to stores, in whatever languages they wind up printing.

[We discussed this post with Iello before placing it here, for reference.]
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Our current arrangement is to only sell internationally until Iello's edition comes out -- so I'd order soon if you wish to get it from us.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin B.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, since I wanted to wait a few months! Now I'll order it quite soon, I guess.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Catchpole
Australia
Ashfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this include Echoes?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris

Assuming there are further expansions for Innovation, for those outside North America how "compatible" will those iello expansions be with Asmadi's historical version editions.

You mention the only difference will be the artwork, but that sounds like that could be quite major. Not sure I would welcome a mixture of styles.

Edit: yes now seen examples of the iello base set cards. Very different!!! So a more specific question if there are further expansions beyond echoes will non-NA persons be able to buy the asmadi version directly from Asmadi so as to match their existing cards??


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KindredSprites wrote:
Does this include Echoes?


Having just seen this thread, I'll second this question: is the expansion getting the new art treatment as well?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
must admit i'm getting frustrated seeing all of Carl Chudyk's games get released with low budget art assets and garish colors in the US, with Europe getting the well produced art versions. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth that better English versions exist, but they aren't allowed to be sold to me.

I wish Asmadi and Iello could work out a way to sell the new English version in the US to those of us that are turned off by the functional but drab (imho) look of the original release...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
must admit i'm getting frustrated seeing all of Carl Chudyk's games get released with low budget art assets and garish colors in the US, with Europe getting the well produced art versions. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth that better English versions exist, but they aren't allowed to be sold to me.

I wish Asmadi and Iello could work out a way to sell the new English version in the US to those of us that are turned off by the functional but drab (imho) look of the original release...


Sure, to anyone who isn't a jerk about our art

The expansion will likely be released by Iello at some point in the future, assuming it was successful for them in Europe. It's an excellent game, so I don't see why it wouldn't be!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
flamejuggler wrote:
must admit i'm getting frustrated seeing all of Carl Chudyk's games get released with low budget art assets and garish colors in the US, with Europe getting the well produced art versions. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth that better English versions exist, but they aren't allowed to be sold to me.

I wish Asmadi and Iello could work out a way to sell the new English version in the US to those of us that are turned off by the functional but drab (imho) look of the original release...


Sure, to anyone who isn't a jerk about our art

The expansion will likely be released by Iello at some point in the future, assuming it was successful for them in Europe. It's an excellent game, so I don't see why it wouldn't be!


Really not trying to be a jerk, just an honest US consumer giving feedback that the simple icon art wasn't immersive enough to compel me to buy a good game, but that the IELLO treatment WOULD make me get my wallet out. I can't imagine I'm alone. The original design is definitely functional, but I want to feel the time passing/civilization advancing vibe more while playing, and the redesign delivers on that thanks to the art, while the original feels too abstract, in my opinion.

Is that "Sure" just a friendly jest, or is there actually intent to have some means for US folks to buy the Iello version and Asmadi still get their cut?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Intent or not, your wording was rude. But yes, I would like to work out a way to get a few copies of the iello edition here to sell to people.

I personally vastly prefer our art / presentation to Iello's. I understand some people have different preferences -- it's a different sytle entirely.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer Asmadi's art to the Iello edition's cluttered appearance. I hope Asmadi editions will continue to be somehow available to us Europeans - I ordered the base game recently (still waiting for it to turn up), and if it lives up to my expectations, I will be ordering the expansion soon as well.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Green
United States
Mclean
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
unic wrote:
I much prefer Asmadi's art to the Iello edition's cluttered appearance.


+1
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
Intent or not, your wording was rude. But yes, I would like to work out a way to get a few copies of the iello edition here to sell to people.

I personally vastly prefer our art / presentation to Iello's. I understand some people have different preferences -- it's a different sytle entirely.


It's not rude to have an opinion (art/design is inherently subjective), though I understand you don't like hearing that others find your product functional but boring looking. Admittedly, my lowbudget/garish colors comment is more aimed to Carl's other game, Glory to Rome, but you admitted in another thread that Asmadi didn't have the resources to do a full art treatment so went another, simpler direction.

I'm just lamenting that Carl's designs so far have been produced by companies with "frugal" budgets in the US, but then given lavish treatments in Europe by publishers who seem to agree that more immersive art makes the game play more fun and engaging. And then US consumers are region-locked from getting the special effects enhanced edition. its a bummer and a fair complaint, no need to be defensive or call me rude for having an opinion that I'm sure you've heard before.

I personally vastly prefer immersive art in games I purchase. Yes, its a different style entirely, but people WILL have preferences now that different versions exist. I think your design is consistent and well thought out (while original GtR is just...gulp), its just a bit abstract and function over form for me to be excited about bringing it to the table personally, so I've abstained so far. So I'm looking forward to news on how i can get ahold of the UK version.

i do think its odd that the Iello version doesn't have a consistent location on the card for the age number...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with this guy. If you can find a way to get me the IELLO edition for a reaosnable price, I'll consider buying the game, not a moment sooner.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
I'm with this guy. If you can find a way to get me the IELLO edition for a reaosnable price, I'll consider buying the game, not a moment sooner.


Ditto.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I, however, am in Europe and I'd really much prefer the Asmadi version. Any chance of arranging a Trade?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still order from us in Europe, until Essen, probably.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
You can still order from us in Europe, until Essen, probably.

Does this mean that after Essen, European customers cannot order the Asmadi edition, and US customers cannot order the Iello edition?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meng just Meng
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
I personally vastly prefer immersive art in games I purchase. Yes, its a different style entirely, but people WILL have preferences now that different versions exist. I think your design is consistent and well thought out (while original GtR is just...gulp), its just a bit abstract and function over form for me to be excited about bringing it to the table personally, so I've abstained so far. So I'm looking forward to news on how i can get ahold of the UK version.


Hello! I just recently played Innovation and have been loving the game so far. Having only played a few games, I've been having a blast but I'm still new to it. (Thank you Chris for the game )

In regards to the two versions: I very much prefer the Asmadi design as it is more functional, clear, neat (I think squares are better than circles) and have better terms in that the terms are more concise ('meld'-one word as opposed to 'put into play'-3 words). However, I was really disappointed with the card quality as I expected better for such a quality game. I would like to add that GtR's art and quality made me assume that it is another one of those Ameritrash games like Monopoly Deal (please don't be angry at the comparison, I'm a new gamer too) and it really put me off from playing it though I will try it out when possible only (and only) due to other gamer's response and reviews.

But my partner was just meh. She thinks the game is just 'ok' but she has been enjoying every game we had (a lot of tense moments eg. in one game her archery was threatening me the whole game and she was way behind in age). Anyway, after probing her more she felt that the game was geeky like chess and required a lot of thinking and the artwork left much to be desired (though she agreed that it was very functional and quite obvious in regards to the concept of the game).

That being said and after reading Gabriel Iello's response http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7395685#7395685, I believe that the original design appealed more to the core boardgamers (as opposed to the more casual ones). The Iello design's terms is more simplistic in nature (though long-winded) and more importantly, there will be a feeling of actual developement (and achievement) in one's civilisation especially with the beautiful artwork (though a little cluttered).

If Iello's version appeals more towards the casual gamers, I'm all for it. It would be easier to teach and more appealing to learn and re-play. Am now looking forward to owning Iello's version.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin B.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just bought my copy, in Asmadi version (as I said earlier, I *do* prefer it!), from one of the OLGSs in the US; it was less than 30 usd (with shipping). After 2 games I have to say a big THANK YOU to Mr Carl Chudyk and Chris Cieslik - this game ROCKS!

And I have a question: what are the exact changes in terminology in the Iello version?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
May I ask who's Iello's Italian partner for Innovation?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.