Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks,

I need your wisdom and knowledge: currently I have both Devil Horsemen and Men of Iron, and am thinking about getting Infidel, all three games from the GMT family.

However there is one detail which is holding me from getting Infidel, and it is here that I need your experienced opinions: as related to game mechanics are DH and Infidel the same?

Please, let me explain myself. I know DH and Infidel cover completely different topics of history: DH covers the Mongol warfare system interacting with different armies of the time while Infidel shows the interaction between the European armored mounted knight and the light cavalry tactics then used in Middle East, within the context of the First Crusade. Also, DH belongs to the GBoH series from GMT while Infidel and MoI belong to Men of Iron series which is a sort of simplified GBoH.

But since both games are 'cavalry intensive' I have the doubt if DH mechanics (although suited for the Mongolian way of war) could be similar or have some relation with the heavy cavalry vs light cavalry covered in Infidel.

And for further reference, I also own Mameluke, the expansion set for DH.

My favorite wargaming topic is that of warfare in Medieval Japan(the Sengoku Jidai period in particular), so these three games go a little off the path (topic wise) when compared with other games like Samurai, Ran and Shogun Triumphant.

I think DH and MoI are excellent, fine games and have no doubt Infidel is another gem, so I want be sure it would not be any redundancy by playing it. My budget is tight right now and I have a nice but clever wife whom will ask me: 'another game, and you say it is the last one? honey move on into another excuse; is the same one I have heard over the last sixteen years...'

My fellows, thanks in advance.

Jumval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Devil's Horsemen uses the Great Battles of History system.

Infidel uses the same system as Men of Iron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
It sounds like you already know the differences between the systems.

There are differences between the battles in Infidel and Devil's Horsemen, as DH focuses on the Mongols and Infidel focuses on the Crusades. I've played Devil's Horsemen and can say there are some tactical differences between them, but those differences are not great. The Mongol's used very similar tactics to the Saracen, though the Mongols tended to have more Shock capability than the typical Saracen army of the Crusade period.

If your budget is tight, I would say play the games you own and pick up Infidel later, perhaps in a trade. As the developer, it pains me to say that, but that is the fiscally responsible answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Devil's Horsemen (though I own it and have played GBOH), but, I do believe that Infidel has a little more variety in its scenarios, and also they could be slightly more balanced. In Devil's Horsemen, I heard the Mongols are the team to beat. That being said, go for the one that is most interesting to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Davis
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To the Flames with financial responsibility! Are you a gamer? ARE YOU?! arrrh

I shall take the reasonable & objective view with you here (be suspicious): ninja

I own all four and so should you.

It's cheaper than golf... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks!!!

Just to say thanks to everyone for their fine comments.

As of last Saturday, I received my copy of Infidel and although had no chance to play it yet, definitively it is a gem of a game.

In the meantime I played two scenarios from Men of Iron (the test scenario Agincourt and the battle of Crecy) and am positive after one or maybe two more sessions I'll get a tight hold on the game mechanics, which although not overly complex but it has some 'fine print' that needs to be taken into account, specially when some scenario specific rules come into effect.

And last by not least I told my wife the excuse of wargaming is cheaper than golf, and after replying that I have never played golf in my life(true!) she stopped talking to me since then. It seems I'll need to wait for next weekend, where a good dinner and some margaritas could turn the tip of this 'battle' into my favor.

For all purposes, when I deal with my wife on these new game situations, I feel like the French at Agincourt...

Thanks again, my friends!!!

Jumval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
I hope you enjoy the game.... and work things out with your wife!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.