Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw this listed for re-release and it lists 2 player as an acceptable player count. Any thoguhts from the community? My understanding is this needs at least 4 to play well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
I just saw this listed for re-release and it lists 2 player as an acceptable player count. Any thoguhts from the community? My understanding is this needs at least 4 to play well.

The general consensus is that the game is not a 2P game, but _technically_ supports 2 insofar as it has a stated cert limit and starting cash for that count. I'd say that it requires _at least 3_ to be truly worthwhile and better probably with 4.

There are quite a few 18xx titles which technically support 2, but in practice they prove to be barely worth the time. I imagine there are geeklists or threads that go into this whole issue in depth, but if you want 18xx for two, 1825 Units 2 & 3, 1860 and 1800 are the choice options, IMO. 18NEB also works for two, but I haven't played it enough to say whether it really works or not, but I'm leaning towards it being a reasonable 2p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Player counts: 6>>5>4>>3>>>2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evelin Auger
Canada
Portneuf
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it with 2 players and it is still fun. It is better with more, obviously but when there are just two persons, it is still a 18xx and I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's absolutely a great game for 2 players.
Yeah, it's a totally different game, as you don't go for overall max. wealth, but just to have more than your opponent. This leads to very fun decisions.
It's more cutthroat than any other player counts. It's not uncommon to have to juggle 6+ companies at once.
And with just 2 players, there absolutey no more luck and random. You can't be hosed by a third player, no kingmaking, nothing. Either you or your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO: It's not a good 2P game. I don't even play 1830 3P games - we pull it out only with 4 or more players.

There were already good suggestions of 2P-18xx, I just want to add Powerrails, which was designed especially with 2P in mind - even if this one might be hard to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Also, thanks so much for suggesting some good 18xx games at a 2 player count. I really didn't think there were any. I will definitely be checking out 18NEB, 1860, and 1800 and trying to figure out what 1825 units 2 & 3 means

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Inkiläinen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1825 Unit 2
1825 Unit 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, 1865 Sardinia is also a good 2players option.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/87907/1865-sardinia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.