Popular Tags: [View All]
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read somewhere, cant remember where, that the ranges in Warfare are going to be a 6:1.
So every 1 range in Tactics will be 6" in Warfare.

Can anyone confirm this??
It seems a bit much in my perspective. It would take a 4.5 foot by 4.5 foot area for Warfare to equal the Core set of Tactics at that point.

I understand Warfare is more a TT version of Tactics, but I would think the scale should stay the same distance wise. Otherwise whats the point?
Dont get me wrong, Im a big TT gamer, but I would want more than just a gridless warzone.

Makes more sense to me to do a 4:1 ratio. So 1 Tactics range is 4" in Warfare.
In a 4 foot by 4 foot Warfare area you get the same battle area as 4x4 tile Tactics area. Not only that, but any scenery you make for Tactics would easily switch over to Warfare at this scale. Only a ~ 1cm difference.

Anyone have any info or insight on this??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
That sounds right. I didn't get a chance to play it at GenCon, but I watched a game and listened the to the demo guys instructions, and I seem to recall that they were multiplying everything by 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
the 6:1 ratio is what eeveryone who went to gencon and played in the demos has reported .

also its intended to be played on a 4footX4foot table top

as some one who plays DT on a variety of sizes of play areas , and sees how the game and units change as the table size changes , it means DW will only ever be the small game , since chambers has essentially decided to limit the game to an 8X8 square field (which is smaller than any game of DT is played ) , so it favors units that excel on small tables (ESPECIALLY units that have fast , charge , or assault ) , and would penalize units that excel on large tables .

that would also be why the DW artillery rules are still being tested , and werent shown off at gencon . with the table size being shrunk , and artillery having min. range , , so in DW , that would translate to a 18 inch radius circle around the walkers that it cant hit . if they sit in the corner , they might see some use , but if they move at all , they would be unable to fire at most of the board .

just redfining range"a" might fix that , but it wouldnt help units with variable range like the steel rains petard mortar , which i think has min. range 3 , but is not considered artillery .

one person also reported that they were told by a FFG staffer at the booth that "in DW , you build your force around your tank " , which explains alot as to why FFG decided to make the "revised points " they arent accurate in DT , but they make sense for the small game with new mechanics that DW is supposed to be .

the game seems like a dust themed TT game , as opposed to a conversion . it sounds like a whole new game , and should have its own stats and points values .

and i am worried about some of chambers comments , like being interested in pursueing 40k style army books , and that he is wanting to pursue some other ideas , (andy chambers wanting to guide DW's developement , NOT dg ) since the games use the same stats , anything chambers does to DW can spill over and imbalance DT .

several of his comments on the forums and facebook sound very much like the 40Kjr i have said i was concerned about FFG wanting to turn this game into .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess its a wait and see game for now. Since its all still beta correct?
As long as my opponent agrees ill just do stat x4 instead of 6.
I kind of like the idea of a build up, more room to maneuver before and after contact.

But thats me. I have the intentions of playing 4x4 tiles instead of the usual 3x3 just for that reason.

Time will tell.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.