Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Brandon
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
This is my first BGG post so be gentle! I've been a follower for years but only just recently registered due to my interest in this game. I picked up my copy at Historicon and see this as a great system for bringing multiple-player wargaming to my game group.

Some of the events require that players discard their hand but the sequence of play says players draw cards after any events are resolved. If this is correct then players will never have any cards to lose.

Also, can a "People" event that says a character may fire allow a hidden soldier to be targeted?

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,
First, are you still using the rules that came in the box at Historicon?

These have been greatly improved. Version 1.42 will be up here soon (they have been submitted-- waiting approval).

I think the new rules will clear up a lot of things.

But to give you an answer now--

If you are able to put down 3 cards to match the 3 phases of the Story deck, you will hold your hand through the turn. There are ways to 'stash' a card or two with some soldiers, using the "hold" function.

But at the end of the turn-- before the next 3 phase cards are turned up-- is when you discard your hand.

If you were NOT able to match the 3 phase cards, then you match what you can and discard the rest of your hand and "fish" from your action deck until you find one that matches one of the two actions.

There are hardly any events that call for a full discard, and remember, the events only happen if the "cause" and "effect" bands line up.
Check the new rules-- they really help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Brandon
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Kevin,
I am using the new rules recently posted and my question wasn't about placing action cards. There are several Story cards with events that require or allow players to discard action cards. The sequence of play shows that these events take place before players draw their action cards.

My Story deck and Orders deck cards are not numbered as the new editions so I can only reference the event wording as an example. A Weird event on one says "A burning aircraft flies over the battlefield. Discard all Action cards and redraw hands." How do you discard if you have not yet drawn any cards? There are 5 cards with similar events.

My other question was about events having a character fire at another character or soldier whether or not they were hidden. An example is "Gef. Fritz Dreher 226-912 takes aim, fires and hits the nearest enemy soldier."

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sequence was adjusted in the 1.50 rules that I just sent to Kevin.

Thank you for the catch before we started printing the rules for general release. Dave contact sales and tell Debbie I said you need a hero upgrade. I will let her know to expect your email and we will send you a new leader. Just let her know which one you would like.

The reason I missed this is that the original design had events happening at the start of the phase. After watching players with the game during the summer conventions we saw people forgetting to resolve the events. So to simplify play we moved events to the start of the turn in its own place in the sequence. I had missed the timing of the discard events and am thankful for your catch of the mistake.

Deeply appreciated,
Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,
I noted that you had a Part 2 to your post and confirmed the answer with Jeff.

Even random events are still subject to the normal rules as much as possible, do Dreher can't shoot someone that isn't spotted. No one can.

In a similar tone, events and the "square" permissible actions/required actions are still subject to the rules. You can't auto spot someone who is outside your spotting range. An order to "move closer to the nearest enemy solider" could always be followed, but one to 'close combat the nearest enemy soldier" could not be carried out of you're more than a normal move from the "nearest enemy soldier."

As to this random event, lest someone think there is an 'auto kill' put into the game, it's just an auto hit-- as though you were shooting at someone and got a single Hit result, meaning they draw one card and check for KIA, Wound, Pin, or the ever-popular "Zip".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Brandon
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thank you, Jeff! That is a very nice gesture and appreciated.

The other question about firing at hidden soldiers due to an event hasn't been answered but I have been allowing it when playing assuming that events override the sighting requirement.

Also noticed a minor spelling issue with the use of "ordinance" which should be " ordnance".

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Brandon
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Kevin,
I was posting at the same tme as you so missed your answer to my second question. Thanks for the clarification.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.