Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of King of Tokyo arrived today. Hurray for that, and I'm really looking forward to playing it soon.

Upon opening the box, I thought, wow, that's a great insert... it looks like it'll actually be useful (unlike many game box inserts). But then looking at the holder for the cards, I thought, uh oh, what about with those extra 11 promo cards I have? It doesn't look like those will fit.

But it turns out that it's worse than that, as the bin for the cards doesn't even safely hold all of the cards that come with the game! Arrrgghh... Putting all of the cards into that bin (including the promos), 14 cards easily slide out of it, so as it is, it's not big enough for 3 of the cards that come with the game. You wouldn't notice that to begin with, because all of the cards are sealed together and seem to fit in there fine.

The particularly annoying amusing thing about this is that there is plenty of space underneath that area; they could have made the bin much deeper to comfortably hold all of the cards.

Anyway, here's what it looks like...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my game yesterday and had the same problem. My solution is simple - I put a paper band around the cards (you can use rubber band if you're not afraid to damage the cards, or even put together a tuckbox). I'll post a picture in a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad8r wrote:

Is that with the promo cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:

Is that with the promo cards?

Yep. You see they are sticking out but won't fly all over the box now. Still, I wish they made the insert deeper!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dany Majard
France
arcis le ponsart
Marne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try inserting sleeved cards...Failure. Mine's in the trash. I believe this is a great travel game, even the board is superfluous anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I cut out the base of the insert where the cards are stored and now my sleeved cards fit perfectly sideways on in the slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, really disappointing flaw in an otherwise great insert. I don't understand why companies just don't provide some extra space in the card wells, especially when they have the room. Instead they seem to try to give you exactly the needed space, assuming the cards are held tightly together in plastic. Ohh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
Disappointing but not as bad as Mission: Red Planet. I wish they'd put more effort in testing the inserts in real life. And also considering future expansions. Unfortunately this is not the trend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately for me I tend to remove the inserts and fit multiple games into a single box anyways. Especially since I'll be sleeving the cards anyways. Plus I agree that this looks like a great travel game, I'll be putting this into as small of a box as I can.

For ultimate compactibility, the only really important components are the dice and the deck of cards - everything else could be kept track of with pen and paper, and random items used as a stand-in for your monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly off topic, are the cards in the game the same flimsy quality as the promo cards? If so they will definitely need some sleeves imho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ErnieB wrote:
Slightly off topic, are the cards in the game the same flimsy quality as the promo cards? If so they will definitely need some sleeves imho

They are pretty flimsy but they get very little use and so shouldn't be a problem (they basically never get handled during the game)

[More of an issue are the dice... I've seen 2 sets of this and both have dice that have started chipping after a few plays]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My game and the game of a friend have already seen nearly triple digits plays and the dice are really wearing out....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I overstated the problem... The cards fit fine in that well inside a baggie. Still, the question remains why they wouldn't just make the well deeper, but anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved my cards, so they don't fit at all. I hate that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I put all the Monster Standups/StatWheels under the Insert.

This leaves the Monster- and Card-slots to house all sleeved cards quite nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made one small modification and all my cards ( including promos ) fit nicely and they are all sleeved.

Heres details

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/705268/sleeved-card-storage-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
This suggestion by Cabe is great for sleeved cards! Not so great for neatness but works
Card Size?

I don't like cutting or throwing away my inserts. But I managed to get everything in without cutting

Put some of the cards in the card well, and 2/3rds of the cards on the monsters in the big well, you should be able to fit 1-2 of the HP track wheels on top. Then spread the other track wheels above, with the board. The lid closes all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Streuner
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
"Cambot! Gypsy! Tom Servo! Crooooow!"
badge
“Look at me! I’m dancin’! I’m dancin’!” (Claptrap)
mbmbmbmbmb
The manufacturer has corrected this problem in their second printing with a deeper insert. But, if you get the promo cards and then sleeve everything, then you just barely get a couple cards in overflow.

Hmmm, I wonder how storage is going to work when the Power Up expansion comes out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.