Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GATES All/Intermediate

Empowers Powers

You have the power of Ownership. When another player wants to use his power, use this power to force the player to pay you 2 Lucre or else he cannot use his power. If a player's power is mandatory, he must pay you the Lucre. Only if he does not have 2 Lucre does he not use his power. Players whose power requires another player have use of his power no longer need that requirement if they pay you. If a player does not have his power for lack of enough home colonies, you may use this power to allow that player to pay you 4 Lucre to use his power for the encounter.

HISTORY: The Cosmic War is over before it begins. The Gates already control the universe. They publicly deny their power until they purge a small group of competitors.

Do Not Use With Beckett, Beggar, or Schizoid
Use Only In Games With Lucre

FLARE

All
Wild: If you do not have your power due to lack of home colonies, establish a number of home colonies to get your power back with ships from your colonies if you can.

Regroup
Super: You may demand your payment from any player at the start of an encounter. The player must decide now to pay you or not. If he pays you, he can use his power normally. If he does not pay you, he cannot use his power at all for the remainder of the encounter.

Commentary: This is a Lucre created by me. Many, many years ago, before even Mayfair bought the rights to Cosmic Encounter, I created a power called Battery whose power is as written above, though for Eon Lucre of course. I soon abandoned the idea because even though I liked the concept, albeit annoying, it was too powerful due to the limitations of Eon Lucre rules. Other players use their powers too much for the Lucre they do receive to compensate, including other Lucre powers. The game lost its Cosmic spirit. I had since forgotten about it.

However, during a period in which I decided to create some new powers again, Battery returned to my head. With Mayfair Lucre rules, the concept can work. Since I now have a "Battery" power from Matt Stone's set, I changed the name to "Gates". I'll give you three guesses why, and the first two don't count. Anyway, the Gates player becomes wealthy, which is fine, and other players have enough Lucre to use their powers. (Butler gets screwed. :b ) Cosmic Encounter retains its cosmic spirit.

I originally did not force players who had mandatory power to pay Gates. This allowed Anti-Matter not to pay Lucre so that he can play his attack 40 and win. It also meant a restriction in games with Filth because Filth could purposely choose not to pay, share several colonies, then pay Gates to force people to lose their colonies. I decided to add in the forced payment because mandatory powers that become optional might prove too powerful. I also recently added allowing players to pay to use their powers when they don't have enough home colonies. I figured it was a good fit.

Gates/Economist is a super combo that rivals Mesmer/Vulch and Silencer/Schizoid in horrid thought.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
why does it have do not use with beckett or begger?

For Schizoid you could just rule that Gates doesn't work on Schizoid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckett starts not in the game. He has no Lucre to spend. He could never use his power to get in the game.

As for Schizoid, when mandatory payment wasn't part of the power, Schizoid could choose never to pay Gates. Not having his power, the offensive player would never ask questions regarding the win. Schizoid player would be the only one to know how to win. Once he completes his own conditions, he pays Gates and wins the game. With mandatory payment, he'd have to pay Gates every encounter. He'd run out of Lucre fast then never have it again because he must pay about as quickly as he gets it, except when he's offensive player. It leads to about the same situation as before.

Beggar's power is to have other players pay for him. He has to use his power to make others pays. However, he'd have to pay Gates first to use his power, but he has no Lucre to pay and his power is supposed to have other players pay Gates. It's a paradox conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...

Beckett and Schizoid are pretty easy. Just add a clause that goes "except Shizoid" and he's done. Er... on second thought "except shizoid or begger". I suppose if it's just the mandatory aspect we're using the clause for we could add in beckett too.

Wait what does Beckett do again? I can't seem to look it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckett is the Shark power redone. He takes over the position of players until he gets a colony.

I'm considering lowering Gates' payment to 1 Lucre to use your power. Many Lucre powers, such as Butler, use 2 Lucre for their payment. I don't want them to become totally useless. Gates will still get a nice income, and mandatory powers have more Lucre breathing room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that sounds good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
Players whose power requires another player have use of his power no longer need that requirement if they pay you.

I am having difficulty parsing this sentence. It may just be because I'm tired, but what does this mean?

Quote:
(Butler gets screwed. :b )

He does? It seems to me that he's not so bad off. He either gets his tip from someone else, in which case he doesn't use his power to mess with the guy, and thus doesn't have to pay Gates; or he doesn't get his tip, and can pay Gates to mess with the guy who didn't tip him.

Over all, this power seems too powerful and annoying. And more importantly, it's unbalancing. Powers that operate only as a main player or only as offense will have to pay fairly rarely, while powers that operate more frequently have to pay all the time. Shadow pays 2L every encounter! The Claw pays only when his claw activates. Macron pays every time he's involved in the challenged. Masochist only pays once - if he wins. Reincarnator pays whenever he loses, and presumably also when he uses his current incarnation. Relic pays only when someone draws a new hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's a good point. there are a few powers like Trader who barely care.

and some who would quickly get driven broke.... like Macron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so I'll make the power as it was originally and not make payment mandatory. Shadow and Macron don't have to pay if they don't want to. Making the payment 1 Mayfair Lucre will help.

Plant can't use his power unless his victim has his power. His victim doesn't have his power if he doesn't pay Gates. Therefore, it's necessary to state Plant can still use his power even though his victim doesn't have his. That this helps Plant when his victim has less than three home colonies is feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.