Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, so we have all kinds of various and sundry threads in this subdomain regarding our hobby. Whether it's 'what's the last wargame you completed', or 'rulebooks on your table this month', or 'box art on your bathroom wall last month*', we wargamers like to go on about our hobby and all of the ancillary activities related to it. Well, I figure, why not another list? After all, we wargamers are nothing if not compulsive about our hobby. So, building on that solid foundation of an introduction, I thought I'd start a similar thread, but one not quite covered by the others.

"Wargames you are prepping for play" is about those things you do before you play a game. Unlike many other niches in the boardgaming hobby, in wargaming, one does not simply walk into the gameroom, open the box, and begin to play. There is more than just reading the rules involved in playing a wargame. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume...wait a minute - that's for after the game starts. But what I really mean is all of those things related to playing a given game, such as:
* tearing off the shrink - these things are sometimes televised.
* punching the counters (or carefully extracting them with a knife)
* clipping the counters - don't think I forgot, did you?
* stickering blocks
* 'added' - sleeving cards
* 'added' - writing variants and/or scenarios
* building or painting miniatures or terrain
* plotting strategy to destroy your next opponent
* yes, reading rules, though ably covered by one of the existing threads
* building the whole damn game, for you PnP fanatics...

So, to start off the September 2011 edition of the obsessive list making which tugs on the soul of every wargamer, I will note my current wargame preparation activities:

1. Still preparing for the kick-off of our four-player campaign of Axis & Allies 1940 Global, using the Alpha+2 ruleset. I am in the midst of setting up the pieces for each nation, and creating/printing some player aids. I just made up a victory cities display for use with the Alpha+2 rules which I printed on 110 lb. cardstock.

2. Just got my copy of Space Empires: 4X. I will be punching and clipping counters within the next few days.

3. Also received my mounted board for World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin. I inspected it and it's in perfect condition, and in my opinion a great step up from the original mapsheet. I've already placed it in the game box (that was pretty straight-forward, but I'm a completist at heart, so I had to mention it)!

OK, so what preparations are you making for your next wargaming exploits???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

3. Also received my mounted board for World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin. I inspected it and it's in perfect condition, and in my opinion a great step up from the original mapsheet. I've already placed it in the game box (that was pretty straight-forward, but I'm a completist at heart, so I had to mention it)!

Did they add anything over to the actual board other than a thick backing? I couldn't think of anything to add. Just curious.

As for prepping, I'm torn on this one: Chris and I started playing Vietnam 1965-1975 on VASSAL. While I am celebrating this major achievement (for me), I'm pondering punching out the counters. At the same time, they have remained unpunched for 27 years, and it's kind of cool that way, especially since I don't think I'll ever get to play outside of VASSAL.

In other news, my copy of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage should be here in a couple of weeks, and I'll be punching out the counters and unwrapping the cards, and putting them in the plastic card boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Did they add anything over to the actual board other than a thick backing? I couldn't think of anything to add. Just curious.

As for prepping, I'm torn on this one: Chris and I started playing Vietnam 1965-1975 on VASSAL. While I am celebrating this major achievement (for me), I'm pondering punching out the counters. At the same time, they have remained unpunched for 27 years, and it's kind of cool that way, especially since I don't think I'll ever get to play outside of VASSAL.

In other news, my copy of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage should be here in a couple of weeks, and I'll be punching out the counters and unwrapping the cards, and putting them in the plastic card boxes.

RE: WW2BtB mapboard: Just the thick backing - the actual map appeared to have no changes whatsoever.

I also neglected to note that I will be sleeving my copy of Modern Naval Battles: Global Warfare Ship Expansion #1 once my replacement set arrives (the first copy had a printing/packaging error, but Dan V is taking care of it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Wright
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received my pre-order copy of Breakthrough: Cambrai and I'm currently reading the rules and clipping counters with the hopes of getting it to the table soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hughes
Australia
Northbridge
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Tonight we will finish testing of FAB: Sicily

Saturday I will have my first games of Nightfighter, followed either by Crash Tackle Rugby Board Game or Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game.

Sunday is Father's Day here, so my youngest son will humour me, and play JAB: Realtime Boxing. I in turn will humour him, and play Battleship Galaxies.

The rest of the month will be dominated by getting game time in for two reviews for Battles Magazine:

Phantom Fury, a soon to be published solitaire game of the fight for Fallujah in 2004. This looks pretty good so far, by the way.

La Bataille de la Moscowa (third edition), the month's magnum opus. A game of La Bat is not just a game, it's theatre, and Moscowa is no different!

I too have just received Breakthrough: Cambrai, and have Space Empires: 4X on pre-order, but I can't see them making the table in the month.

So, an busy month, and an eclectic mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting into my first few plays of Fields of Fire. Counters all nicely sorted (except for NVA and NK units, Im only interested in the WW2 era) into tiny baggies, rules reviewed and rereviewed. V2.1 rules were actually fine. The three hour play time is killing me, though. But it seems right. I'm either in love or a lust that's gonna burn out fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Reading the rules of Paths of Glory and hope to get in a couple solo games and start a game via ACTS.

2. Working through a few more solo plays of A Few Acres of Snow.

3. I will also start reading the rules for Space Empires 4x.

4. Have a goal to play a couple CC:E and ASLSK #1 scenarios.

5. Need to play a couple of scenarios in Hornet Leader as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm officially new to wargames, yay!

September Goals:
Goal #1: I've played 3 scenarios from Combat Commander: Europe and plan to play through 2 more scenarios.
Goal #2: I picked up Fighting Formations in an auction and am nearly finished the rules. Sounds pretty easy to learn, having played the above mentioned game, will play a beginner's scenario this month.
Goal #3: I nabbed Down in Flames: WWII Guns Blazing. For an estimated 30 minute game, I hope to get through this one 5 or 6 times, although likely less if it doesn't solo well.

Question for any Canadian grogs out there.. is there somewhere I can locally pickup Plano containers in Toronto, otherwise ship for a good price within Canada?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting ready to kick of campaign game IV of Valor of the Guards: ASL Historical Module Number 7, for the second time! I'll be the Soviets again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
mummykitty wrote:
Getting ready to kick of campaign game IV of Valor of the Guards: ASL Historical Module Number 7, for the second time! I'll be the Soviets again!

Wow...the whole campaign???

How long it take you the first time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Retreat! The Russian Front - GMT version, just got it.

and, as always,

Empire of the Sun. Played a 'practice' game a week ago and REALLY want to play a full year. I may break it out and play the opening turns a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Roberts
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Currently painting my "Flames of War" Russians, a project that's been in the pipeline for about 2 years now. Was going to just paint 1 Company to see how they look but decided to just start and keep going (they had to be done after all).
The Tally is...
Battalion HQ + 2 45mm at guns
2 Infantry companies + 2 HMG
1 Naval Inf company + 2 HMG
HMG company (9 HMG)
Flamethrower platoon (4)
Heavy mortar platoon (4)
76mm Inf gun section (2 guns)
57mm AT gun platoon (4)
Sapper/engineer platoon
AT rifle platoon
All up 96 stands, most with 4 men or more.
Don't think, just paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this may seem silly, but I just re-sorted a ton of my games. I realized that some games have too many kinds of chits in certain baggies and don't have enough space in their boxes or what not. I don't have as many boxes as games, and never had enough baggies. However, fortune changed that and I wanted to be wiser with out I used my chit-trays and other storage.

The games I reorganized but don't foresee playing in the near future:
Paratroop
Under the Lily Banners
Civil War in the Far West: The New Mexico Campaign, 1862
Patton's 3rd Army: The Lorraine Campaign
Rio Grande: The Battle of Valverde

The games I reorganized and hope to get on the table this month:
RAF
Men of Iron
FAB: The Bulge
Civil War Express
Combat Commander Series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be getting Maria ready to hit the table as soon as it arrives. Should be a few more days. Also planning to play Wilderness War and Paths of Glory later this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am prepping to play T-34 for The Great S&T Play Off, September Edition, but that just requires making some tank figures.

If I play Renaissance of Infantry, I'll have to draw the next map (I don't use the generic map--I use a Chessex wet-erase to make one that is more accurate).

Boy.. I feel old. You guys are all playing new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
No Retreat: The Russian Front - GMT version, just got it.

Ditto!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1. None But Heroes - Punching and reading the Line of Battle rules. I have the first scenario set up for testing purposes.

2. For the People - Moving counters from baggies to a GMT Tray so I can easily set it up and take it down.

3. South Mountain | April's Harvest: The Battle of Shiloh, April 6 & 7, 1862 | Three Battles of Manassas - Punching & Clipping for play with Line of Battle Rules to see how well it works with these games as well.

4. Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #3 - Punching and clipping. I got this one from my awesome FLGS when they received a small shipment of these bad boys from MMP back about a month ago.

5. Armies of Oblivion: ASL Module 12 - Reading through the vehicle notes for this one because there are some funky and small production runs that are included. It's pretty funny that you can include every AFV that the country had in its possession of a certain type in a scenario.

6. World at War: Blood and Bridges - Clipping. I got this one for my birthday and have been enjoying the World at War series of games. The chit pull + dice fest is a lot of mindless fun, plus...it's a hypothetical WW3 so it's endlessly fascinating.

7. Wings of War: Miniatures - Storing the final SE5a Billy Bishop that I finally tracked down. I love this series and hate to say that I own everything ever released because I wish the Series 5 bombers were still going to see a release date.

8. King of the Tabletop - Okay not really, but I am working on a solution to put my bigger maps on a 6' x 2.5' table. Pesky war-game companies don't respect my setup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4. Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #3 - Punching and clipping. I got this one from my awesome FLGS when they received a small shipment of these bad boys from MMP back about a month ago.

Someone must have cleaned out a closet somewhere deep in MMP HQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?. That's a wargame, right? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?. That's a wargame, right? whistle

Eh, close enough...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got King Philip's War and the Special Ops magazine with Raphia and Savage Streets in it. Haven't starting punching the counters yet, but I will soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert martin
United States
Douglassville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
None But Heroes , punched , clipped , set up and ready to go. Will finish reading the rules tonight. Next game ,,,,,, I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm hoping my friend has started prepping the gaming area for our next game of Days of Decision III / World in Flames. The setup is a two or three day project for one man given the map set up, sorting the counters into the correct force pools and annual additions, whiteboard preparation and so on. I don't think he cleared down the last game we played, so this is an even more mammoth task than usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
usrlocal wrote:
I just ordered the deluxe mounted map for Empire of the Sun from GMT. I guess that counts as a 'prep'. Apparently it's worth it for the errata that are addressed on the map. Once I receive it I'll start soloing the game in earnest.

Shoot. I passed this up thinking I was just passing up the mounting. What errata?

I have an order shipping from NWS any day now (waiting first on For King and Country, then on ASL rulebook). I bet I could add this in over the long weekend.

Also, anyone know if the For the People mounted map fixes any similarly essential errata?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Getting ready to print Navajo Wars playtest files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.