Subject: Rule question dominance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kvothe Arliden
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everybody

If you want to do dominance, you are only allowed to do it on a tile where at least one other species is present? (in a two player game you are often alone, at least at the beginning)....Because when you do dominance, you must act out all the actions, first score the tile (according to who has got the most cubes on the tile) and then determine dominance according to the elements and the winner then draws a domination card and plays it. So if I'm alone on a tile and dominant according to the number of cubes I'm not allowed (according to the rules) to score the tile because I'm alone....so I can't play dominance unless there is at least one opponent on the same tile?

I hope you understood my question and can help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can score any tile you want (that has not already been scored this round), including tiles with no one on them. Dominance is tracked by the cones so you shouldn't be determining dominance it should already be determined by the time you score. If you are alone on a tile you dominate it. Page 7 Example shows a tile with 2 black cubes and a black dominance cone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to select ANY tile for your Domination action.

There is no requirement about how many players are present on that tile.

You definitely CAN pick a tile that ONLY you are present on.

(You can even pick a tile in which NO species from any player are on... in this case NO ONE scores points and NO ONE gets a card.)

I'm not sure, but you may be confusing the rules about determining which player has Dominance on a tile:

1) Only players who ACTUALLY have cubes (species) on a tile are eligible to be Dominant on that tile.

2) And, if you are the ONLY player with cubes (species) on an Earth Tile, then you must still match at least ONE element on the Earth Tile from your animal's Adaptations in order for you to have Dominance on that tile (and thus be eligible to take a Domination card).

Lots of english words... sorry. I hope this helps though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
If you are alone on a tile you dominate it.

Not if you are going to go extinct on that tile later... (no matching elements)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kelsey
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's often a preferred play to pick a tile where you are alone as you will score all the points yourself as well as get the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are dominant so long as you have a matching element symbol. You could conceivably be in a hex when domination comes up where you have no matching elements due to wasteland or other effects. Even if your alone you don't dominate that hex.

That said you could also choose to score a empty hex with noone in it rather than give away a card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kelsey
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:
That said you could also choose to score a empty hex with noone in it rather than give away a card

Not trying to take the question off in a different direction, but since you don't have to do the action that you've put a action pawn on why would someone choose to do this instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MintMMs wrote:
Chrisxny wrote:

Not trying to take the question off in a different direction, but since you don't have to do the action that you've put a action pawn on why would someone choose to do this instead?

Ah yes a rule i earned in my year long play by email game. True
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
MintMMs wrote:
Chrisxny wrote:

This is totally hypothetical, but since you asked:

Each hex can only be scored once per round.
If you suspected your opponent was going to use an earlier Domination action to move a bunch of his cubes into a juicy Sea tile (via Mass Exodus, for example) and then use a later Domination action to score that tile...
You could "score" it for 0 pts disallowing further use of that hex during later Domination actions.

riiiiighhht.... I know that would never happen... but it's possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize this response is a little late, but I think the OP was simply confused by the text in the grey boxes on P16 where it reads "There must be another animal present".

What this means is that if you are alone on a tile, you will only score for first place.

For example, if you are alone on a sea tile, you will only score 9 points. The rule is just clarifying you won't score 9+5+3+2.

If a second person is on the sea tile with you and has less cubes, you will receive 9 points and they will receive 5 points.

So on and so forth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.