Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Brunelle
United States
BURLINGTON
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Oh, how could I stay anything but MAD over you, Cthu-ly, woo-ly, woo-woo!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm an insomniac. When I get very sleep deprived I get on to Ebay and do foolish things. Last year, I bought a PSA graded 9 Mox Jet, which I paid way too much for. No-- I am not a rich man, so these little forays into madness are costly. Earlier this year, I paid way too much for a copy of Dark Tower and it was very musty. Once I played it, I realized that it wasn't as great as I remembered (go figure). I sold it back and took a heavy loss. But let me get to the point. Last year, I also bought a sealed pack of Unlimited, graded 9.5 by GA. There's a picture of it on BGG, actually. When I bought it, I did not know about people being able to tell what is inside early boosters without opening them. Do I open it up and get my Ghost Ship, or do I hang onto it and pawn it off later down the road?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you mean Pirate Ship?

If you've searched the pack and know what's in it I'd say you have an ethical imperative to at least reveal the contents if you decide to get rid of it.

This is a place where actual continued ignorance would have left you in less morally shady territory, but I think once you've searched it, you're on the hook for the implications. Not to say that the original seller didn't do exactly the same thing, but personal responsibility and all of that.

I don't know if there are any people who actually collect packs just as such based on grade (apparently there are...) but I guess you could try to recoup a little more for it that way, given that its pristine condition apparently is what drew you to it to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Brunelle
United States
BURLINGTON
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply! I have not searched the pack-- it was encased in plastic when I bought it. It's already been graded. My point was that I can never be sure that the seller did not search the pack, and no-one buying from me could trust it if they knew about the possibility of card searching. Yes, I did mean Pirate Ship. I was just envisioning the worst possible scenario for if I did open it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can scan the cards in the pack without leaving marks/folds in the plastic.

I tried to do it with some Revised packs a long time ago, and they took some serious damage. There may be better methods than what I did, though. The cards are packed fairly tight in the booster, and you need to slide one card at a time so that you can read the title through the white area of plastic towards the end of the pack. It is only slightly transparent so you need to get the plastic very close to the card. This is tricky, especially with the "last" cards.

I'm pretty sure that your booster would loose grading if you did it. The other side of that coin is that it is less likely to have been scanned as it is due to it's prestine condition.

You should probably contact some professional dealers and ask what they would give for the booster. Their quoted price is a good indication of how likely the booster is to have been scanned. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just open the damn booster, will ya?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
ozimek wrote:
I don't think you can scan the cards in the pack without leaving marks/folds in the plastic.

I tried to do it with some Revised packs a long time ago, and they took some serious damage. There may be better methods than what I did, though. The cards are packed fairly tight in the booster, and you need to slide one card at a time so that you can read the title through the white area of plastic towards the end of the pack. It is only slightly transparent so you need to get the plastic very close to the card. This is tricky, especially with the "last" cards.

I'm pretty sure that your booster would loose grading if you did it. The other side of that coin is that it is less likely to have been scanned as it is due to it's prestine condition.

You should probably contact some professional dealers and ask what they would give for the booster. Their quoted price is a good indication of how likely the booster is to have been scanned. ninja

Actually you can do it without damaging the booster with some practising. I had a friend who worked in a game store in the mid 90-ies and from time to time we would go through the booster boxes scanning for choice rares. There was no way to spot that he had done it. Even I could do it on 9 out of 10 boosters. Nothing I'm proud of today but jsut to show that it isn't that hard.

It does depend on the specific booster pack though as some of them was glued just a bit lower than standard and with them it was not possible.

So I would assume that the booster has been scanned and that you can forget about P9 and dual lands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
gabrielbrunelle wrote:
Thanks for your reply! I have not searched the pack-- it was encased in plastic when I bought it. It's already been graded. My point was that I can never be sure that the seller did not search the pack, and no-one buying from me could trust it if they knew about the possibility of card searching. Yes, I did mean Pirate Ship. I was just envisioning the worst possible scenario for if I did open it.

Trust me, Pirate Ship is not the worst possible scenario. Try a Deathlace!

or one of its four companions!

Seriously though, if you haven't searched the pack, then it's a harder call. Everyone knows searching is possible, but it's impossible to know what the likelihood of the pack having been searched unless you know the original seller.

I remember in one sealed tournament a number of years ago...OK, aeons ago by modern standards (circa MirVLight era...) the shop owner bought a pack of Unlimited to give away as a prize. The winner despite the suggestions of myself (and many others) that they re-sell it sealed to avoid the nightmare Lace scenario, cracked it and pulled a Mox Emerald. And yes, people knew about searching back then as well, I'm sure that's why Wizards moved to the foil packs with Ice Ages and Fourth edition.

So I guess what I'm saying is, it's hard to tell. It could have come from an old box with a scrupulous owner. It also could have been searched half a dozen times and passed on. If you wanted to sell it, then I would just be honest about its past and you should still be able to sell it for a decent price. It's just a question of weighing possible outcomes and making the best decision possible on that basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Brunelle
United States
BURLINGTON
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for the advice; I really appreciate it. Here's the specs on the pack: bought off Ebay from a place called highgrademagiccards in Washington state. They supposedly have a sterling reputation, and my feeling is to trust that it has not been tampered with, but I've always been a sucker. They have an unopened pack of Alpha for sale right now, and I notice that the graders added a note to the hard sleeve saying "From Unopened Box". My card says "Authentic: Unopened" but it does not mention the box. So-- you can tamper without opening. But anyway, the madness has passed for now. I'm keeping my graded, plastic-encased pack for a while longer. The grading company is GA and they seemed ligit to me when I did some research. There you have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly my booster-sneak-peak-fu wasn't very strong. shake I was just talking from my personal experience from many years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Brunelle
United States
BURLINGTON
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, probably nobody is following this thread, but I opened the booster today. The garbage rare (Wheel of Fortune) was facing the wrong way! This, of course, means that the pack had been opened and tampered with before I bought it, and I got screwed. YeeeHaaaw!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't consider a Mint Wheel of Fortune a garbage rare. It's worth around $100. Plus there are many good uncommon and rares.

If you don't want them I'll take them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
I wouldn't consider a Mint Wheel of Fortune a garbage rare. It's worth around $100.

It's a great card, but an Unlimited Wheel of Fortune is not worth $100. http://www.starcitygames.com/ lists it at $20 (Revised at $10, Alpha/Beta at $200).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
Syvanis wrote:
I wouldn't consider a Mint Wheel of Fortune a garbage rare. It's worth around $100.

It's a great card, but an Unlimited Wheel of Fortune is not worth $100. http://www.starcitygames.com/ lists it at $20 (Revised at $10, Alpha/Beta at $200).

I just abused that card horribly in Cube last night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Brunelle
United States
BURLINGTON
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys make a good point. I shouldn't have said that it was a garbage rare. It's not a bad card at all. My main point, however, was that the pack had indeed been tampered with. I paid a lot for it based on the belief that it was unopened. The company that sold me the pack was West Coast Sports Cards, Inc. (Ebay ID: highgrademagiccards). The grading company was GAI. Buyer beware!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, My fault. I thought it was a Beta pack.

Having a card in backwards doesn't mean it was tampered with. The first few sets have a very high level of issues with the packs. Some were missing cards. Some didn't have rares at all. Some had all rares and some had all commons. It is very possible a card could get in backwards. I am not saying it wasn't tampered with, but it would be VERY difficult to open and then re close a pack. Especially since you said it was graded 9.5 that would have come up on the grading. Besides if you were going to replace a card why wouldn't you pick something like death lace. Wheel is a good card if you are being an ass why would you put something worth money (and always has been worth something.)

edit:grammer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Brunelle
United States
BURLINGTON
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for your comment, Jerry. I contacted another Ebayer who bought an unlimited pack from the same seller, and he said that his rare (Bad Moon) was also facing the wrong way. The seller replied to an email of mine saying that they had every pack in a booster box graded and sold every one without a complaint. I'm very sorry that I wrongly accused the seller of any wrong-doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even as late as Tempest they had issues. My close friend opened a starter deck that was all RARES! He couldn't figure out how to play because the only lands he had were rares and had no basics. I ended trading him 200 cards for some of the choice picks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously. I opened a pack of the new set tonight, and it had a card that had a card printed on BOTH sides of it. I wish they'd get their printers straight. I can't even put it in my deck now . . .

Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Seriously. I opened a pack of the new set tonight, and it had a card that had a card printed on BOTH sides of it. I wish they'd get their printers straight. I can't even put it in my deck now . . .

Ugh.

You should keep it, I hear misprints like this often become collector's items years later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Auger
England
Manningtree
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

Ugh.

Except its not a reprint. The double sided card is part of the new set.:)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slaphead6 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Ugh.

Except its not a reprint. The double sided card is part of the new set.

Congratulations. You, like every one who has opened an Innistrad booster, has opened a double-faced card. There will be exactly one in every pack...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goodshepherd wrote:
slaphead6 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Ugh.

Except its not a reprint. The double sided card is part of the new set.

Congratulations. You, like every one who has opened an Innistrad booster, has opened a double-faced card. There will be exactly one in every pack...

In a perfect world, although there are a much greater than average number of collating errors because of the added complexity of the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.