BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: need help playing Runewars in Ann Arbor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ty Woodruff
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
My roommates and I need help playing Runewars. We bought the game at Vault of Midnight and have tried to play it twice but we are really slow because we have no idea if what we are doing is correct, the rules are very vague and ambiguous to us noobs. I can come pick you up if need be but we really need some help, don't want this game to be a waste of $100. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ack! Wish I lived out that way. Runewars is a game I really enjoy!

I hope you don't give up and have an opportunity to have someone help you learn the game. In my opinion, while there may seem to bee too many things going on at once, it's not a very difficult game to learn in parts.

One thing that helped me when I first taught it to my friends was to completely disregard the Heroes phase at the start of Summer. I often opt to skip it the very first year, and by the time Summer rolls around a second time they've got the other major mechanics in their heads.

(And I don't skip Heroes because it's complex or anything, but simply because it's an entire subset of rules that are easily temporarily removed from a player's perspective.)

Are there any particular areas that are getting you stuck?

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it once, but I might be of some help. I might actually be better at helping you find someone that can help you, though, as it was a long time ago that I played.

Have you talked to Nick at Vault of Midnight? He might know the game, or know someone that would be happy to play a game with you to teach it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Allen
United States
Madison Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/2188/runewars/board-to-death-...

This may help a little, I have never played myself so I am useless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Metro Detroit Area
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ty,

I know there are people out there that like and enjoy this game, but I am not one of them. I find the mechanics of the game clunky and the pacing too slow. I love a good strategy and tactics game, this one just does not do it for me.

I am putting this on eBay myself, trying to get back some of the $$$ spent.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaboy Green
United States
livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would also suggest searching out some geeks at
Ann Arbor, MI: Great Oak Board Game Day
this meet up has a large range of people and one game of this was played last month
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you be willing to drive to play it? I love Runewars, and I am about an hour and 45 minutes from Ann Arbor (correct Jeremiah?)

I'd be willing to teach it, and play several times over the course of a day.

Currently we only have one car working, and coming up there would mean leaving wife and kids at home with no car.

Also my wife and I host monthly game days, if you would be interested in that, Jeremiah and a couple other fellows from that way come down. You can get just about any game onto the table with the group we have.

Let me know if I can be of service!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Would you be willing to drive to play it? I love Runewars, and I am about an hour and 45 minutes from Ann Arbor (correct Jeremiah?)

I'd be willing to teach it, and play several times over the course of a day.

Currently we only have one car working, and coming up there would mean leaving wife and kids at home with no car.

Also my wife and I host monthly game days, if you would be interested in that, Jeremiah and a couple other fellows from that way come down. You can get just about any game onto the table with the group we have.

Let me know if I can be of service!
Yes, an hour and 45 min to Jon's, and I'm planning on going to the next game day. The one time I played was with Jon.

The Great Oak Game Day is closer (it's in Ann Arbor), but it leans to Eurogames. I'm sure you could get people to play Runewars at either, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.