Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

No Retreat! The Russian Front» Forums » Rules

Subject: Supply in the south - Barbarossa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Layman
United States
Davidson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just starting a solo run thru of the Barbarossa scenario and wanted to confirm the supply situation for the germans in the south in early going of the scenario. since the german armies are too far away from lublin and bucharest to draw overland supply if they venture to far east, do they have to take both Odessa and Kiev to draw overland supply from these 2 cities before advancing east? thought of some enveloping moves to get the russian out of supply, but the german armies would be also unless these 2 cities fall early.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an artifact of the deluxe expanded map -- you used to be able to trace to the board edge, which was in Rumania. So yeah, you have to be a bit more careful with supply in the south until you take Odessa and/or Kiev.

Edit: I notice in the Scenario Book that one of the game examples/quizzes has units tracing supply to Rumania and not Lublin, showing it was not updated with the new map.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
This is an artifact of the deluxe expanded map -- you used to be able to trace to the board edge, which was in Rumania. So yeah, you have to be a bit more careful with supply in the south until you take Odessa and/or Kiev.


Right. This was intended in the design. Mind you if you take Dnepropetrovsk your supplies woes are over, even if you don't have Odessa or Kiev. And the effective supply range is in fact 5 hexes (one unit in the back of the line (like a Rumanian army) will extend it for one hex (rule 6.2, alternate supply sources). Of course Dnepropetrovsk is still a bit risky to tackle without either Odessa or Kiev, as if you don't capture the city, you could find yourself "Out of Supply" next turn. But in the summer of 1941 when the German wants to take a city, he takes the city. Period. He has the overwhelming force to do it (you need to deploy the Reinforcing German 2nd Army south in this case).

If you have the "Luftwaffe" card it will also help.

I wonder why the Soviets held to tthose two cites at all costs in 1941? Hey the German Army Group Centre had to swing south to help ACS advance down there, too.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Layman
United States
Davidson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl, Interesting thought about Dnepropetrosvsk. If odessa and Kiev are soviet controlled, wouldnt Dnepr provide the overland supply to germany, unlimited hexes(assuming it doesnt touch ezoc)? Not sure I follow the need to have an army extend the supply line 5 hexes, when overland supply is unlimited hexes from a city. On a side note, I'm having great time w/ this game. Love the uncertainty and flexibility the cards provide, too. Looking forward to your other NR designs!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I am reading through the rules (just got the game last week and it looks great), and I have a supply question that I believe pertains to this thread.

The illustration on the bottom right column of p. 22 of the Rule Book shows the German 17th army SE of Kiev, and indicates this unit is tracing supply to the mountain hex in Rumania. Am I right in thinking that this is not correct, and in fact this unit is out of supply (as is the 1st Panzer Army)? Or at least it is out of supply unless or until the German player can take Odessa (which he does later on in this example)?

Also in this example, but on a slightly different topic, the original counter blow marker placed by the Soviet player on his unit in Kiev seems to be the wrong color. Shouldn't it be a Soviet counter blow marker with red arrows on black background (or do I need to go back and read the counter blow rules again more carefully)?

Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shilton wrote:
The illustration on the bottom right column of p. 22 of the Rule Book shows the German 17th army SE of Kiev, and indicates this unit is tracing supply to the mountain hex in Rumania. Am I right in thinking that this is not correct, and in fact this unit is out of supply (as is the 1st Panzer Army)? Or at least it is out of supply unless or until the German player can take Odessa (which he does later on in this example)?

Also in this example, but on a slightly different topic, the original counter blow marker placed by the Soviet player on his unit in Kiev seems to be the wrong color. Shouldn't it be a Soviet counter blow marker with red arrows on black background (or do I need to go back and read the counter blow rules again more carefully)?


I'm confused by the example in the book regarding supply status as well. Is the example incorrect? I would also like claification on shilton's last question. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shilton wrote:
Hi,
I am reading through the rules (just got the game last week and it looks great), and I have a supply question that I believe pertains to this thread.

The illustration on the bottom right column of p. 22 of the Rule Book shows the German 17th army SE of Kiev, and indicates this unit is tracing supply to the mountain hex in Rumania. Am I right in thinking that this is not correct, and in fact this unit is out of supply (as is the 1st Panzer Army)? Or at least it is out of supply unless or until the German player can take Odessa (which he does later on in this example)?

Also in this example, but on a slightly different topic, the original counter blow marker placed by the Soviet player on his unit in Kiev seems to be the wrong color. Shouldn't it be a Soviet counter blow marker with red arrows on black background (or do I need to go back and read the counter blow rules again more carefully)?

Thanks.


The supply example is incorrect, this was from an earlier edition of the game before the map got expanded in this new edition. This was covered under another thread, but can't remember which one at the moment. I am thinking (thinking mind you) of creating an FAQ because the same questions are being asked under threads you would not think to look at.

Yes the color of the CB example is incorrect as well, again this was covered but under thread topics you wouldn't think to look at.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.