Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game last night of Mansions of Madness and it was fun.

We played scenario #1, and we had an interesting situation happen.
We were in the Foyer and a monster was trying to escape. A player used an elder sign to make the monster move away two spaces.

In the foyer you have some more movement options. the Keeper was in the player starting spot, and moved 1 space away first. Now it had only 1 space it could move, but the space was still only 1 away from the player. Does this mean the monster cannot move again, as it wont be moving farther away, or should the keeper selected a different space to move away first, that would have allowed a 2nd move away(

option 1 was 1 space away, but any followup move would be 1 same distance or closer

option 2 was move 1 space away in a different space, but then could move 1 space away even farther

Does the keeper have the choice of being clever and do option #1, or is forced into option #2

I have found a ruling that says moving towards outside would have been legal again, but lets ignore that, as there may be other rooms, where there was no exit as an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
The Elder Sign cards states (for a pass) "The keeper must move each monster in your room 2 spaces away from you".

Since it doesn't say "The keeper must move each monster in your room 2 spaces" but specifically "2 spaces away from you", then I must assume that at the end of such movement the monster (or monsters) must now be 2 spaces away from you.

If the monster was in the same space as you then it moves 2 spaces away, if it was in an adjacent space then it must move 1 spaces further away from you. The end result is that there should be no monsters in your space or in any adjacent space!

It's not the case of "move one space and then see if there is another space it can move into", the monster (if at all possible) must end it's movement so that it isn't in an adjacent (or same) space than the Elder Sign.

Unless there is some unusual circumstance, it should be possible to ensure the monster does end up two spaces away. If there really is no available location two spaces away, then it would have to end up adjacent but as I said that would be very unusual.

Of course the rules aren't clear on a number of issues (but that isn't that unusual with MoM or a lot of FFG games, seems a lack of playtesting or just the inability to write clear rules). For example, does "move each monster in your room 2 spaces away from you" mean the keeper moves all the monsters 2 spaces (no matter how far way from you they were) or does it mean the keeper moves all the monsters so they are all at exactly 2 spaces away.

For example: If a monster was "trapped" in a space adjacent to the Elder Sign (with no other available adjacent space to move into), then I think it should be allowed that the monster moves through the space where the Elder Sign is located if this would allow it to reach a space that is two spaces away from the Elder Sign (meaning the monster in fact moves more than 2 spaces).

soul42 wrote:
I have found a ruling that says moving towards outside would have been legal again, but lets ignore that, as there may be other rooms, where there was no exit as an option.

Don't understand what you mean by this, could you elaborate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say if the option is there for the monster to end up 2 spaces farther away from the elder sign, then that is the direction the monster must go. So if the monster starts 1 space away from the elder sign, then it must end up 3 spaces away, if possible. The monster is fleeing the elder sign.

Quote:
Since it doesn't say "The keeper must move each monster in your room 2 spaces" but specifically "2 spaces away from you", then I must assume that at the end of such movement the monster (or monsters) must now be 2 spaces away from you.

If the monster was in the same space as you then it moves 2 spaces away, if it was in an adjacent space then it must move 1 spaces further away from you.

I disagree with this interpretation. "Away from you" is the direction the monster must move 2 spaces.

-TR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.