Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Lohse
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The September 2011 LnLP P500 geeklist has been posted.

The list can be found at...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/71698/lock-n-load-p500...

Monthly Interview: Since White Star Rising: Operation Cobra has been announced, I figured I would interview myself this month... and by that I mean taking questions about that item [since I am heavily involved with its development], scenario design in the NaW series, playtesting, this geeklist, or other topics of interest. So ask questions in the comments, and I will try to answer them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
An Elf, a Human, and a Dwarf walk into a bar...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the campaign game split into five sub-games that you must win, as one side or the other, in linear fashion?

Or is it bracketed, so that depending on what the win/ loss numbers are, and when they each occurred, you will have a different scenario to play?

The write up says "linked" and I'm guessing that means five games total, but how are you doing the TO&E for the looser of one game to the next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lohse
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mycroft Stout wrote:
Is the campaign game split into five sub-games that you must win, as one side or the other, in linear fashion?

Or is it bracketed, so that depending on what the win/ loss numbers are, and when they each occurred, you will have a different scenario to play?

The write up says "linked" and I'm guessing that means five games total, but how are you doing the TO&E for the looser of one game to the next?

Sorry for being slow to respond, I just noticed this question.

The campaign is linear, with 5 distinct scenarios. The Germans have a set OOB for each scenario, while the American OOB carries over from scenario to scenario, reflecting any losses taken [with reinforcements in some cases, and with the American player getting refit points based on objectives achieved that can be used to refit reduced or eliminated units although there are never enough refit points]. So there are the same 5 scenarios to play, assuming the American player keeps winning... of course if you win scenario 3 at the cost of getting the American force nearly totally wiped out then winning scenario 4 is going to be unlikely. In other words, the German player can "lose" in a given scenario while still keeping the American from winning the overall campaign.

If the American player looses before scenario 5, the campaign ends at that point [who wins and to what extent is determined based on when/if this happens].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
An Elf, a Human, and a Dwarf walk into a bar...
mbmbmbmbmb
No stress, already pre-ordered. So it's linear, which is totally understandable.

Might there be some way of doing it from the German perspective also? So they were the one's having to worry about not having enough troops to win the next battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lohse
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Within the same campaign, not easily... I guess it might be possible but I worry that with all the extra variables it would be far more likely to be unbalanced in someway that playtesting doesn't pick up.

It would probably work better to just design a separate campaign designed around a German force..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.