Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: Pandemic: first 2 games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pirate skulls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
My husband and I tried out Pandemic tonight. We lost both of our first 2 games due to misunderstanding a rule or not realizing important moves until half way into the game.

1st game: Introductory Style (4 epidemics) we didn't realize the importance of research stations till about 3 turns from the end. plus i forgot about my dispatcher's special talent the first half of the game.

2nd game: Regular Style (5 epidemics) we put out research stations first off but didn't realize you could RECEIVE cards on your turn, instead of just giving. this makes a BIG difference.

despite losing the first two games (and we weren't too far off from winning) we really enjoy this game and are happy with the complexity and difficulty. we own forbidden island and love it for it's quick and easy play but this build up on the mechanics is awesome and well done.

the board and quality of all the pieces is very nice and we are looking forward to having a lot of fun with the game and then the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The beauty is the games play quickly so you don't so much mind a learning game or two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic game here. I re playability is both high and satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion adds some really neat things, new roles, new special event cards, and adds several levels of difficulty (which I have yet to need lol) as well as a traitor type aspect with the bio-terrorist role.

You also get awesome petri dishes for your cubes! and with a little luck it can even all fit back in the original pandemic box. I love both pandemic and the expansion! Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamecouple wrote:
My husband and I tried out Pandemic tonight. We lost both of our first 2 games due to misunderstanding a rule or not realizing important moves until half way into the game.

Quote:
despite losing the first two games (and we weren't too far off from winning) we really enjoy this game and are happy with the complexity and difficulty. we own forbidden island and love it for it's quick and easy play but this build up on the mechanics is awesome and well done.

Glad you enjoyed the game. And good for you for not blaming the game for your rule misunderstandings. I think that happens to most people one way or another when teaching themselves a game.

As for Forbidden Island, it's worth noting that Pandemic was designed and published first, so I'm not sure that "build up" is applicable in this case.

Either way, enjoy your future plays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
The beauty is the games play quickly so you don't so much mind a learning game or two!

Ha, I have friends who don't like to play Pandemic because it takes too long.
All relative I guess!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Auntie
badge
说了又不听,听了又不懂,不懂又不问,问了又不做,做了又做错,错了又不认,认了又不改,改了又不服,不服又不说,那你要我怎麽办?
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I also enjoy Pandemic. During our initial games, we also made a few mistakes with the rule such as curing the disease only at reseach station situated at the same colour city as the disease cube, thus making the game tougher.

We have since proceeded through the different difficulty level and have attempted the legandardy level (7 epidemic cards) recently. It started off quite badly in our first 2 games. The outbreak is uncontrollable with 1 game finishing within 10 minutes! However that did not deter us from the game and we had an attempt at it the day before. In the end, we managed to win the game with a medic and researcher combination as well as the archivist and medic combination! A very satisfying game indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoy the game.Once you have all the basics down, my own personal opinion is that talking through your plans,moves, is a key factor in beating the system. For our group, we now regularly win at heroic. Also,for me, because we are three players..Researcher, Medic,and Scientist seems to be the key choices,although of course all the roles have something good to help out with your task.The expansion is excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.