Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised to hear that Heroscape was being discontinued. Just out of curiosity, are there any alternatives (but similar in quality and scale) to Heroscape?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mosley
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could check out Summoner Wars: Master Set. It was made by one of the people that worked on Heroscape. It's not a miniatures game but it feels like one. Also if you really like miniatures check out Warmachine Prime Mk II. It's what I moved to since Heroscape is starting get to around the same price point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mosley
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh its not out yet but I also have my eye on Super Dungeon Explore. Lastly, there is a rumor that Wizards is making another miniatures game. No word if it will be anything like Heroscape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you aware of Claustrophobia? There's no terrain to build, but there are various dungeon tiles to lay out as the game progresses. Easy to learn, plays fast and comes with durable, painted miniatures of similar scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What age group are you looking for? If it is yourself, then some of the above are good alternatives. Claustrophobia and Earth Reborn give you that miniature feel, but in a more complex package. If you want a game to play with the under-tens, these will probably too much for them. I got Battlemasters at a local game group sale, but I have not yet played it. It looks like it might be a good alternatives for the younger crowd. (It might be out-of-print now also).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msweazey wrote:
Claustrophobia and Earth Reborn give you that miniature feel, but in a more complex package.

Earth Reborn is a lot more complex than Claustrophobia. Is Claustrophobia more complex than HeroScape? Maybe, but not by much. My kids could have played it and played it well by the time they were 8 or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you like Heroscape but haven't played all the expansions and add-ons I would suggest fully exploring that first. Just because the game isn't making new stuff doesn't mean the old stuff isn't worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies... definitely some great suggestions.

msweazey wrote:
What age group are you looking for?

I am looking for a something to play with my (almost) 11 year old son. I was teaching him how to play Battleship Galaxies this week and he was completely fascinated by the miniature ships. I started looking at Heroscape as an option for getting him exposed to other miniature gaming, but I was concerned that since it was discontinued, its availability and overall longevity would be too limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if HS has been discontinued, there´s still enough product around to get a decent collection, for some fun games! You might have to scout around the online stores and get a little something here, a little something there, or be ready to pounce when someone here or over on Heroscapers.com decides to sell their collections, but still worth the effort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
j3rm wrote:
Thanks for all the replies... definitely some great suggestions.

msweazey wrote:
What age group are you looking for?

I am looking for a something to play with my (almost) 11 year old son. I was teaching him how to play Battleship Galaxies this week and he was completely fascinated by the miniature ships. I started looking at Heroscape as an option for getting him exposed to other miniature gaming, but I was concerned that since it was discontinued, its availability and overall longevity would be too limited.

It may not be easy one-stop shopping, but with some online browsing and a few scourings of local stores you should be able to get a decent Heroscape collection going for a reasonable price. If you're willing to buy off eBay or buy gently used stuff it'll be even easier.

Battleship Galaxies has been described as "Heroscape in Space." I don't quite agree with that myself but it does have some of the same designers behind it and is certainly in the genre that HS players would likely enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Song of Blades and Heroes. It is a great set of rules made to be used with any fantasy miniatures. It has options for hexes too, so you can use the Heroscape figures and board if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Monsterpocalypse. It has the same high-quality pre-painted goodness, although it is significantly more complex (and obviously on a larger scale). The new non-collectible packaging is also very friendly to new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mendenhall
United States
Unspecified
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
Even if HS has been discontinued, there´s still enough product around to get a decent collection, for some fun games! You might have to scout around the online stores and get a little something here, a little something there, or be ready to pounce when someone here or over on Heroscapers.com decides to sell their collections, but still worth the effort!

What Jesper said.

If it ain't HeroScape....it just isn't HeroScape.

(Back to fondly dusting off my latest insane map build for gaming this coming holiday weekend. ahhhh, what a glorious game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j3rm wrote:
I started looking at Heroscape as an option for getting him exposed to other miniature gaming, but I was concerned that since it was discontinued, its availability and overall longevity would be too limited.

There is an upside to it being discontinued. HeroScape wasn't called "plastic crack" for nothing! Each new wave meant another $100+ order for me - and that was with very good pre-order discounts from CoolStuffInc and/or WargamersHQ.

And I was only buying 1x of the uniques and 4x of the commons. There are a lot of people who were buying more than I was. Then there was the space consideration; a thousand or so figures plus comparable terrain takes up a lot of real estate.

HeroScape is a game that will never go out of style. I'll be playing it with my grandchildren, and I fully expect that they'll play it with their children some day. It's not going to wear out easily, and it's always going to be fun. You don't need everything to have fun, not by a long shot, and not having a steady supply of new stuff may be a blessing in disguise - you might manage to enjoy the game and avoid the addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormcow wrote:
Check out Monsterpocalypse. It has the same high-quality pre-painted goodness, although it is significantly more complex (and obviously on a larger scale). The new non-collectible packaging is also very friendly to new players.

I have looked at it, and it looks very cool but it scares me to death. I don't think I dare start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust Tactics is sold and played as something really close to Heroscape.

- A core set with maps and tons of minis, dices and whatnots.
- Smaller packs with individual squads in them sold separately
- small cards for each unit with their stats on them.
- There are heroes and mechas with health and squads with individual 1 health per unit.

Now, of course the units are not pre-painted (unless you buy the very expansive premium editions) and the board isn't 3D (point down), but the rules are a tad more complex and offer more possibilities than HeroScape (point up).

It's also a more *serious* setting than HeroScape, for better or worse depending on your preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape has been discontinued but it's not gone. You can find it here & there, in trade on Craigslist or wherever if you want the Rise of the Valkyrie, and other bitz are much more readily available.

Some of you may be interested to know - and some of you probably already know - that today marks the release of the fan-made Wave 14: Thormun's Reprieve.

There will be three more weekly announcements; by the end you will have a full wave of canon-compatible cards. The minis are from here and there but are widely available (well, most of them are).

The group that put them together, the C3V, is a workshop of fans in a private subforum on Heroscapers. It's a large group, and we've been working our tails off, and I am very pleased with what we've produced.

Here, for instance, is Zaeus:

Anyone recognize him from AT-43? Guide Darius? Good, there will be a prize for you after class.

Here is his card (the Advanced side; the C3V made Basic sides too):

Enjoy, Heroscape playing community, these guys are for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DuBois
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ds3272 wrote:
Some of you may be interested to know - and some of you probably already know - that today marks the release of the fan-made Wave 14: Thormun's Reprieve.

There will be three more weekly announcements; by the end you will have a full wave of canon-compatible cards. The minis are from here and there but are widely available (well, most of them are).

Are there any stores that are cool enough to have packaged all those diverse miniatures together so I can just call them and say "gimme heroscape homebrew wave 14 plz, here's $100"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find one, buddy, let me know.

We looked all over the interweb for widely available figures and there is not, to the best of my knowledge, one source that will pack them up for you that way.

I'm not the expert shopping guy, either, but I'd start looking at the usual suspects for minis: Troll and Toad, CSI, Miniature Market, Auggie's (which also sells 'Scape single minis), and so on.

Maybe I should have started a separate thread about this. Hmmm....

Anyway. A quick poke at Google tells me you can get AT-43's Guide Darius - aka Zaeus - for $3.25 at Miniature Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DuBois
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm suggesting is, I think someone from the C3V should have talked to a few of those businesses over in the Sponsored Links section, and worked this all out beforehand. I don't do miniatures outside of HeroScape, so visiting half a dozen miniature vendors and making orders bit by bit (and potentially not getting the entire Wave if something has gone out of stock everywhere!) is more trouble than I would want to deal with.

Actually, even printing out cards is more hassle than I want to partake in nowadays, just because of all the alone time I'd need to have with an X-acto knife. My eyes are getting too old for that crap, really. I have to stop every couple of cards because they physically hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because it isn't done, doesn't mean we didn't try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
ddubois wrote:
What I'm suggesting is, I think someone from the C3V should have talked to a few of those businesses over in the Sponsored Links section, and worked this all out beforehand. I don't do miniatures outside of HeroScape, so visiting half a dozen miniature vendors and making orders bit by bit (and potentially not getting the entire Wave if something has gone out of stock everywhere!) is more trouble than I would want to deal with.

Actually, even printing out cards is more hassle than I want to partake in nowadays, just because of all the alone time I'd need to have with an X-acto knife. My eyes are getting too old for that crap, really. I have to stop every couple of cards because they physically hurt.

Dunno if it'll help, but www.levalet.com, check under "Games by companies", under "Hasbro".

Last time i went there, they still had a bunch of HeroScape stuff at their original, non-inflated, prices. Get them while you can i guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It would be especially interesting if a source bundled all the figures and properly based them to look like HS units. I know that that can be a stickler for many, myself included...not a fan of having custom-looking figures running around with the offical crew in a game that trades so heavily on visual appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
It would be especially interesting if a source bundled all the figures and properly based them to look like HS units. I know that that can be a stickler for many, myself included...not a fan of having custom-looking figures running around with the offical crew in a game that trades so heavily on visual appeal.

Yup.

As much as we would have liked to have done something like this, none of the retailers would pack everything together for us.

From their perspective, I understand. It would have been a lot of extra work, for what? Why go to the trouble of packing them up when a customer can go somewhere where they *aren't* packed up and by them separately?

It would be an expensive labor of love for the retailer, I think, and that's not good business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ds3272 wrote:
jcb231 wrote:

Yup.

As much as we would have liked to have done something like this, none of the retailers would pack everything together for us.

From their perspective, I understand. It would have been a lot of extra work, for what? Why go to the trouble of packing them up when a customer can go somewhere where they *aren't* packed up and by them separately?

It would be an expensive labor of love for the retailer, I think, and that's not good business.

In the age of rapid-updating ability on virtual storefronts though, it seems like linking the minis together in some sort of bundle deal would not have been unreasonable if a store already sold all the figures, even if that bundle didn't actually save you any money, just time.

Anyway, I'm very interested in this wave, probably the first custom figures to really capture my interest this much. They actually FEEL like regular classic scape, even moreso than the DnD wave that really was legit scape. I am really really really hoping some enterprising young custom figure maker sets up shop rebasing/painting figures for folks like me that have no such cut and paint leanings. I bet there are quite a handful of fogies like me that would pay for that service....we provide the figures, they provide the rebasing and touch ups to make them look like classic scape.

I've been proxying these figures in games and am SHOCKED at how well they fit into the game. Having been burned by too many over-complicated, off-balance, or ill-fitting custom figs before I was wary. No need to be with "Wave 14" as they are excellent thus far. Top marks from me....just hoping I can find a way to actually add them to my game in a nicer way than using printout cards with plastic army men!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.