Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game and played scenario 0 solo.
Like it, and will deffo play a lot more... But...

I just felt a bit overwhelmed by the choices available, particularly in two areas:

a) the Order/initiative matrix and track, and
b) to deploy or muster (which I think is covered elsewhere in a thread).

On a) I just couldn't get my head around what are, generally speaking, the considerations and no-nos and the solid tactics when you have the initiative? Has anybody (Chad maybe?) written a beginner's guide to not getting it totally wrong in their first few games?

Example. First game with scenario 0. As the Russians I thought it a good idea to begin by getting some asset cards. Spent the 10 cube and got three lovely assets cards. Then realised that That I'd just given the German player carte blanche to move and fire or whatever for the next three or four impulses! All mostly for free by laying out his two mission command discs. So as the Russian I sat there watching that initiative marker move oh so slowly towards the russian side, while my forces were outmaveuvered, and shot up.

So I say again, has anyone got any tips for hiow to balance what you need to do on the map, with sensible ground rules for choosing order cubes? I guess that's the heart of the game.. but I want an inside track!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, those are interesting non-obvious decisions. I think you can often make a case in both directions for spending 10 points to get 3 cards (3 cards can be very useful!) vs doing several cheaper orders to keep the initiative and not give your opponent several cheap orders in a row. It probably depends on many factors, e.g.:

* Do I already have a bunch of cards? Then getting more is less urgent.
* Do I have no cards? Then probably I should get some.
* Does my opponent have no cards? Then maybe I should take the cards, especially if this is the last order left which supplies cards.
* Do I have some obviously great/urgent series of cheap orders I could do? Then maybe I should do them first (and possibly then finish by spending the 10 to take 3 cards).
* Does my opponent have some obviously great/urgent series of cheap orders they could do? Then maybe I should not give them a lot of initiative.
etc...

But one thing: if the German laid both their command tokens in the first turn, then they'll probably be feeling pain in the 2nd and 3rd turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon George
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just noticed there's a FF Beginners Advice v1.0 for some tips
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon George
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:

Example. First game with scenario 0. As the Russians I thought it a good idea to begin by getting some asset cards. Spent the 10 cube and got three lovely assets cards. Then realised that That I'd just given the German player carte blanche to move and fire or whatever for the next three or four impulses! All mostly for free by laying out his two mission command discs. So as the Russian I sat there watching that initiative marker move oh so slowly towards the russian side, while my forces were outmaveuvered, and shot up.

The first question I ask myself is, what are the objectives?

In scenario 0, you have to have majority control of the objective hexes. My number one priority as the Russians was to move in and take control of these objectives before I handed initative to the russians. Once secured with infantry I then concentrated on getting close and personal (melee) with the t34 on the stugs. The german player can be quite distracted by the tank assault when their priority should be the objectives.

I found advance order useful to push more infantry into contested objective hexes when it looks like you're losing melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jherek wrote:

The first question I ask myself is, what are the objectives?

In scenario 0, you have to have majority control of the objective hexes. My number one priority as the Russians was to move in and take control of these objectives before I handed initative to the russians. Once secured with infantry I then concentrated on getting close and personal (melee) with the t34 on the stugs. The german player can be quite distracted by the tank assault when their priority should be the objectives.

Exactly what I thought when I first read this thread.

Perhaps that's your problem, maybe you are more worried about the mechanics of the game than what you have to do to achieve victory.

The matrix/initiative/order system does have its quirks (especially when there are fewer cubes left near the end of the turn) but I think you should be looking at what you want to achieve first and then how you can do that in a manner that denies your opponent some options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that advice guys. Yes.. I think I am a little overwhelmed by the novelty of the matrix (interesting.. in the film the Matrix... the red cube or the blue cube, Neo??) and must come at the thing from the angle you suggest... what do I need to do to win this scenario? What do I need to do to hinder my opponent from winning the scenario? I just keep thinking that Fire (for the Germans) is such good value- if in range plug away until you've reduced them all to a trembling mass of jelly.

And Sniper.... hmmm.. that would be such a blow to lose a command piece early in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
I just keep thinking that Fire (for the Germans) is such good value- if in range plug away until you've reduced them all to a trembling mass of jelly.

Not that simple. "Just let 'er rip" doesn't work well in this game. With each fire attack you make, your opponent gets to take a Return Fire attack against your unit [rule 34.3]. You may end up with just as many or more jellied units then he does if you don't plan and execute a Fire order intelligently.

Quote:
And Sniper.... hmmm.. that would be such a blow to lose a command piece early in a game.

Even if your end-of-turn Sniper Activity roll is successful [rule 21.12c], your opponent doesn't have to lose a command marker: He could instead choose to suffer -1 command radius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wise words Chad. Thanks. As you can see, I am still a Newbie here!

Have to say that the game mechanics are (for me) a welcome mix of the refreshingly new (The Matrix, Orders, Initiative, different die, two hits and you're gone) and old friends (hexes, Op fire, terrain cover, firing arcs). A combination that hits the sweet spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.