Tomas
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Ideas are bulletproof
badge
I think, therefore I am, I think
mbmbmbmbmb
(Our first play through the scenario. Contains spoilers!)

Police Report wrote:

The investigation into the missing girl, Nola, had taken a strange turn. Three people had apparently entered the mansion that night. Now three unidentified dead bodies had been uncovered among the rubble, all in bad shape. One of them belonged to a female.

The following narrative is reconstructed based on a partly burned journal found at the scene. The author of the journal remains unknown.

I was waiting on the porch with Michael McGlen, a local gangster. The mansion was rumored to attract strange people, and both of us being there should be proof enough. Joe was late as usual, so eventually we started the investigation without him. A girl had gone missing, so we made our way towards her room, looking for clues. The house groaned in the wind, and the lights flickered occasionally, but nothing unusual for such an old house I figured. We found our way to her room, and after a thorough search found her journal in a locked drawer.

The girl was kinda mad alright. But she writes of hiding something near the cellar. We made our way over there, only to find our way blocked by something... horrible. A huge, slithering, glowing... thing!

Things that go bump in the night

Michael started screaming, and emptied his magazine into the creature. It barely had any effect. I run towards it, fired my pistols, and escaped into the next room. The creature seemed momentarily stunned so maybe it was not invulnerable after all. While I had dealt with the occult before, this was definitely.. new. I heard Michael screaming and firing from the other room, and then nothing.

If it bleeds, we can kill it!

Terrified, I opened the door, and squinted though the smoke. I was about to pull the trigger when I saw something move; it was Michael, alive.

We ran towards the kitchen. Nola's journal led us to a small closet. We made a quick search and come up with something strange.. a green cold statue, picturing some kind of alien being. Then.. the walls flickered. There was something in the room. Another one of those things. I now saw it was full of softly glowing eyes, shifting like bubbles...

I run as fast as I could. I heard the firing of a submachine gun behind me. I didn't stop. When I regained my senses I found myself in the attic, and Michael just behind me. I felt I was slowly losing it, and Michael was visible shaken and bruised from the encounter too. My eyes wandered, and led me to a carving in the ceiling, and then, the whole room started spinning....

Running away

...after a bright flash, we found our self in a bedroom. It must have been a portal of some kind. That, or I've gone mad. There was a soft chanting in the air, and a stronger smell of ..sulfur. So maybe this is where those creatures come from. Michael was rummaging through the room and came up with a cult robe. This might come in handy, he said. Maybe this is where the girl is kept? I suddenly had a bright vision of a room with robed figures chanting from a black book, and in the background, a girl chained to the wall. I must definitely be losing it...

Hurry! We ran through a corridor towards the sound of the chanting, or so I thought. The door to the chamber was cool to the touch. I opened it and... The mansion was gone! I heard the distant sound of a flute, and there were bright shapes around me, but... I could still sense them somehow.... Like I was part of two different worlds. I suddenly saw Michael running away from one of those slithering things, back from where we came. Then Joe had arrived. He entered the mansion, and coolly emptied his clip into one of those creatures, and killed it outright in a lucky break!

One shot, one kill

Joe and Michael run away from the second creature towards another room filled with chanting. Joe kicked in the door, and was met with robed figures. Nola wasn't there anymore. I can't sense her... Joe pushed though a few cultists, grabbed the Black Book they were chanting from and ran. They had to destroy it somehow to make it all end.

Suddenly the room with cultists shifted, and on the altar another glowing creature had appeared and started chasing them. Michael fired a burst into it, but hit a lantern on the wall that started a fire. Joe was running away, only to be met by another slimy creature. They were now trapped by the two horrible creatures, and the room was on fire! Joe was desperately reading though the book, trying to undo it, and with it those horrible abominations, but breathing in the black smoke made it hard for him to focus. Meanwhile Michael was screaming and firing as one of the creature slowly engulfed him...

Why won't you just die.....

My connection to the mansion is fading... The lights are stronger now and the voice...
so cold
it hurts
it hurts

Police Report wrote:

The rest of the black journal is too badly burned to be readable, and contains strange unidentified symbols or glyphs. We need to take it to the academy for further studies. By now the bodies have been identified. One was that of Joe Diamond, a private eye. The female body belonged to Nola, the missing girl. The identity of the third male body is not yet determined, but we suspect it could be Michael McGlen, a local criminal. All bodies were badly burned. The body or whereabouts of the suspected third person to enter the mansion, and possibly, author of the journal is of yet undetermined.

Cathulu wins again!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Ideas are bulletproof
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat and game belong to
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
who also painted the miniatures. Thinking the name was an omen, we were looking forward to using these replacement witches, but it really turned out to be Season of the Shoggoth instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
[G]RRRRRRRRRR
badge
[G]RRRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Shoggoths! That's how I have always pictured them. (Although HPL describes them as blobs when in their natural habitat - water - and mentions that they DO develop limbs and tool-like appendages. So FFG is not completely off, but I still much prefer these blobs.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McDrunk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love in the fourth picture it looks to be crawling down the wall. Excellent session report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. Very entertaining and your Shoggoth looks amazing!

I was wondering what the markers are that you are using in the rooms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the markers here: https://dapperdevil.com/product/magic-circle. I prefer using them instead of putting a pile of cards on the board. I have added stickers to those markers'reverse side, with numbers on them. I also bought markers with only numbers on them to put on top of the piles of cards that normally would go on board. Now the keeper keeps the cards somewhere around him/her "hidden". That way the corresponding pile of cards is found by the keeper when necessary. The board looks so much better that way! The original idea for this came from boardgamegeek, but can't now remember who it was from

Scrat wrote:
Great session report. Very entertaining and your Shoggoth looks amazing!

I was wondering what the markers are that you are using in the rooms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Ideas are bulletproof
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I like FFG as much as anyone, and those tokens really make the board look great, I lost my hand of keeper cards (trauma + mythos) twice during the game, due to the myriad of similarly sized cards. I then mistook it for my discard pile for a turn or two before we noticed the error.

But I guess FFG without thousands of different cards would be like Lovecraft without tentacles or something... goo

It really needs a set of cardholders, Memoir / Battlelore style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gleason
United States
Asheville
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report! I really like the look of this game when the minis are painted. Now I have to get this PoD, it sounds really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well written Tomas, well done, nicely accompanied with images, and great minis too!

I came here because this session report was awarded 1st place in the Excellence in Session Report Writing Awards here:

Excellence in Session Report Writing Awards

Do head over there and give Mozart78 some appreciation for running these awards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.