Agricola» Forums » Variants

Subject: Loose the luck element rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john plant
United Kingdom
Ledbury
flag msg tools
OK so your plot of land may be more fertile than your neighbours, and your networking skills well oiled so reflecting the cards you are dealt as you start to get the good life going in the game/real world.

But are we not meant to rely on our brain power to advance our selves through life?

So a variant I have not tried yet, but will, when I next persuade my gamey friends to try it.

So what is it?

Instead of dealling each player a secret hand of cards....
Turn over as a public pool 7 cards/player. All these cards are available to whoever gets them first

THEN......

Auction off the turn order in food to be paid at first harvest.

There you go.
Does that not sound interesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you completely loose the luck by just signifying who is using which occ/minor with a coloured token effectively playing with a hand of identical occ/minors.

So two players could play the same card?

Unfortunately this would neutralize one of the things I think cards add to the game in that it alters the relative strength of different spots. If everyone can play seasonal worker then the DL spot retrains the same effective value to each player (This is in reference to my alteration I realise this would not be an issue with the OP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd only see this being interesting to people who have played the game enough to know how to value the auctioned cards. Anyone else would be lost and frustrated trying to figure out what to do and almost assuredly be at a disadvantage by taking bad cards, over-bidding food or even both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lose the luck element
stowfords wrote:
Turn over as a public pool 7 cards/player. All these cards are available to whoever gets them first

There are two obvious effects this would have:
1. Combos would be very difficult to put together. If a couple of cards combo really well then as soon as one is taken another player would (should) take the other one to prevent the first player getting a strong combination.

2. It would be much more difficult to plan a long term strategy as any card you based it around may get taken by someone else before you can get it.

If these consequences appeal to you then you may like this variant.

P.S. You may want to change "Loose" to "Lose" in the thread title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, loose that luck! Unleash it! Set the luck free!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to think that most people get through life through emotional reaction to random elements. Brains don't often factor in whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
I don't think a food auction works here, largely due to a lack of resolution -- players only have 3 food to bid with, and they presumably need 1 of those food to play the occupation they want. So the first person to bid 2 food goes first? And who goes second?

Also, 7 cards/player makes for a gigantic pool of cards to play, bigger than 2 of the standard placards in a 4P game. You'd probably be better served by having an occupations market like the power plant market in Power Grid -- some number of occupations that are biddable, and a similar number coming in behind them when the first lot get bought.

Ultimately, though, I have trouble thinking of a way to make a large, random, public occupations pool work out so that the first player who has some food doesn't get a significant advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derakon wrote:
I don't think a food auction works here, largely due to a lack of resolution -- players only have 3 food to bid with, and they presumably need 1 of those food to play the occupation they want. So the first person to bid 2 food goes first? And who goes second?

I believe his suggestion is that the bid isn't actually paid until the first harvest. So I can bid as much as I want, and then it's just tacked on to what I have to pay to feed after round 4.

Still a valid question on the rest of the turn order though. You'd probably want to auction off the entire turn order. Unfortunately though, there would still be some advantage to bidding first. You almost need fractional food, but obviously that's impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:

Fish in a barrel, Tim, fish in a barrel...

I'm surprised the Merriam-Webster hasn't just, uh, "updated" the definition of "loose" to coincide with common usage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gische
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not convinced this wont have issues, but it sounds interesting enough to try. Give it a couple of tries and then report back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
timstellmach wrote:

I'm surprised the Merriam-Webster hasn't just, uh, "updated" the definition of "loose" to coincide with common usage!

New definitions for misspellings are unnecessary, that's why. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
Sobriquet wrote:
timstellmach wrote:

New definitions for misspellings are unnecessary, that's why. whistle

it was a joke, MrG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
timstellmach wrote:

I am confident this will happen in my lifetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stowfords wrote:
Instead of dealling each player a secret hand of cards....

So that would be 35 occs and 35 minor's on the table to choose from. Doesn't seem workable to me.

I quite like the power grid type option though, although it would probably give the start player to great an advantage. Maybe three occs on display and 3 available to build, any not built get swept away at the end of the round and replaced by those on display and 3 new ones put on display. Maybe have two row on display one to come in in 2 turns to allow a little more planning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
timstellmach wrote:

This happens all the time.

Check out the definition of 'aggravate'.

smh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't tried one yet, I've found that a drafting variant for occupations and minors does a great deal to equalize the luck factor of entirely random hands, and is far less cumbersome than a pool of 50 or 60 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McKinney
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you used a massive pool of cards it would just mean that the most experienced player(s) would crush less experienced players. Trying to explain why a certain occupation out of 28 was their best play would be difficult. That said I'd probably thoroughly enjoy a game like that... assuming I was okay with other players never wanting to play agricola again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
I suppose one way you could run a pool like this would be to randomly draw 15 occupations, then determine start player, then let each player in reverse turn order remove one of the occupations from the pool. That'd leave you with a pool of 10, i.e. the same number as there are major improvements, which is manageable. The player going first would still likely have an advantage, but the more obviously awesome cards wouldn't be available to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see how it would ever be a good idea to bid more than 2 food to go first, even if you didn't have to pay until the first harvest. Even if you didn't have to pay until the *last* harvest, it's still probably not worth bidding more than 4 food. This basically means you're exchanging the first-player advantage for a first-bidder advantage - and nothing is gained by that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.