Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike M.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure it is a stupid question, but what are the differences between Dust and Dust Tactics.

Thanks,
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Moldie wrote:
I am sure it is a stupid question, but what are the differences between Dust and Dust Tactics.

Thanks,
Mike

Dust and Dust Tactics and Dust Warfare: Core Rulebook are three different games that all take place in the same universe.

Dust is a board game much like Axis and Allies and Risk.

Dust Tactics is a miniature board game which bears resemblance to HeroScape.

Dust Warfare is a table-top miniature game that uses the same minis as Dust Tactics and follows a similar way of playing as Warhammer and Warhammer 40K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much thanks Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone thought about a way to have the Dust game be the campaign and actually fight out the battles using Dust Tactics??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
\|/
badge
/|\
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thought. Dust Tactics lacking air and sea vehicles make a direct correlation to the units impossible but you could use the combat value of each of the units at a factor of 10x as the AP value of each army. The side with supremacy gets to go first (maybe making a double 1st turn to give more weight to having supremacy). Retreats would follow the rules of the Dust game (using the Combat Value to AP conversion) with the opposing player choosing dust figure losses according to the Dust rules (tanks protect mechs and so on, and again by the CV to AP conversion). Dust Tactics board layout could have something to do with map location but I don't have any specific ideas at the moment. Map size and terrain are still a question.
You would need a number of the DT expansions to provide enough units for large battles, and this game would take a very LONG time to play. I'd be curious to see some flushed out rules from someone actually willing to try this idea out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
DropDeadCriminal wrote:
Interesting thought. Dust Tactics lacking air and sea vehicles make a direct correlation to the units impossible but you could use the combat value of each of the units at a factor of 10x as the AP value of each army. The side with supremacy gets to go first (maybe making a double 1st turn to give more weight to having supremacy). Retreats would follow the rules of the Dust game (using the Combat Value to AP conversion) with the opposing player choosing dust figure losses according to the Dust rules (tanks protect mechs and so on, and again by the CV to AP conversion). Dust Tactics board layout could have something to do with map location but I don't have any specific ideas at the moment. Map size and terrain are still a question.
You would need a number of the DT expansions to provide enough units for large battles, and this game would take a very LONG time to play. I'd be curious to see some flushed out rules from someone actually willing to try this idea out.

I'd wait until we actually have some air units before trying this...

Also, i'm not sure it would be such a great idea. Dust is a good game, but it does have one problem in my book and that's the runaway leader. IF you are behind by more than 10 VPs against the leader, you can kiss victory goodbye most of the time. Now, you may only suffer through this inevitable loss of the game through 30 minutes in a Dust game.
In a Dust and Dust Tactics combined game... i wouldn't want to suffer in agonizing defeat for dozens of hours...
So for me to even condider such an idea, it would also require major changes to the Dust game also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think combining the two could be a great idea, although I think I'd completely discard the Dust rules - but using the components and some simple rules and choices to give an overall story and give some choices and variety to how the Dust Tactics game plays would be fun, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never player Dust before. So I wasn't sure if it could be combined with Dust Tactics.

That being said, I know something that would work.
Risk 2210. Or any risk game I suppose.
Simple cross over. Every army point in Risk is worth 50 points in Dust Tactics. Defender gets an additional 50 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.