Red November» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timed Destruction Events and ghost markers question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Firth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
My very 1st game was a 3 player which we lost badly only 20mins(of ingame time) into playing.
This got me thinking perhaps something is wrong with how we interpreted the rules.

It was my turn as I was at the back position on the time track. I did some stuff (I forget what exactly) that took 8mins.

As I moved my token to catch up to the ghost (update part of turn) the 1st star(event) I drew was a +10min missile launch which I placed +10min from that star. I then ended my marker within 2mins of the timed event.

The other 2 players happened to be about 2-3mins away also.

the problem was that including moving to the missile room noone could choose more than 1min to fix it with their ghost marker going past it, so of course we failed. Is this correct? It seems very harsh and could happen right at the start or end of a game.

It got me thinking that you don't move the ghost marker until AFTER you resolve what you are doing with your minutes not before, therefore 1of us could in theory had said take 10mins (auto success) just so we get it fixed.

To sum it up, do you move the ghost marker as you SAY what you intend to do (eg fix the missile launch) or AFTER you actually DO IT?

The difference being whether or not you can in essence avoid what happened to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you did it right. You move the ghost marker as you do what you are doing, so you move it up for each room you enter, and then when you decide which action you take, and how long you spend, you move the marker that many minutes (minus any item use) and then roll to see if you succeed.

Then you do the updates, and times markers are moved that many minutes from the time location that they were drawn.

Sometimes you just get screwed by the last person finding a timed event when everyone else is already forward in time and can't stop the event from happening. It happened in a 5 player game I played before, except it happened at the very end of the game. 3 people were already at the rescue point, and 1 player didn't have time to reach the event room. The 5th player could reach it, and had only a single minute to try to stop it, and unfortunately had no items to help. Well, the roll did not go our way, and we were all destroyed 2 minutes before rescue.

If the person farthest in the time line finds an event, then it is easier because you still have players behind that can try to fix it. Otherwise, you just have to do what you can.

In order to try to prevent getting screwed like that, all I can say is try to get and use items any chance you get, in order to spend as little time as possible doing things. You want to move up the time line in small increments to try to deal with less things happening at a time. The less cards you can draw at once, the easier it will be. Also try to keep the rooms from flooding, so you don't waste extra minutes just moving from room to room.

It's a tough game, but where would the fun be if you knew you could win it easily?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Auclair
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:

In order to try to prevent getting screwed like that, all I can say is try to get and use items any chance you get, in order to spend as little time as possible doing things. You want to move up the time line in small increments to try to deal with less things happening at a time.

This is definitely an important point - sounds like the other players were so far ahead of you it made stopping the Timed Destruction Event nearly impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PatientRock wrote:
The ghost marker moving past the Timed Destruction Event is ok, it's when all players' Time Markers move past the Event that the game is lost.

The ghost marker is moved as you make your actions - essentially it's a way to keep track of what you're doing before you starting moving your real piece.

But again, it's your real piece, the Time Marker, that sets off the Timed Destruction Event, not the ghost marker.

But if the Timed Event is what you are trying to fix, you cannot move the ghost marker past the timed event. If you are two minutes away from the event, you cannot spend three minutes to fix it (which would move the ghost marker past it), because the event would activate before it was fixed.

But if you are not working on the event, and there are still other players behind it, then it is fine to move past it. Only when ALL players have moved their marker past the event does it destroy the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Auclair
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:

But if the Timed Event is what you are trying to fix, you cannot move the ghost marker past the timed event. If you are two minutes away from the event, you cannot spend three minutes to fix it (which would move the ghost marker past it), because the event would activate before it was fixed.

You're absolutely right! Had misread the rule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Firth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
PatientRock wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:

In order to try to prevent getting screwed like that, all I can say is try to get and use items any chance you get, in order to spend as little time as possible doing things. You want to move up the time line in small increments to try to deal with less things happening at a time.

This is definitely an important point - sounds like the other players were so far ahead of you it made stopping the Timed Destruction Event nearly impossible.

Yup, exactly this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.