Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there

there was a copy of the 2nd Ed RB at my FLGS and it was purchased, so I emailed them to forward my info to the buyer, The guy didnt leave his info , they think he was an out of towner or someone on vacation.

The guys did ask if i could demo the game sometime , what would be the best way to do this? is it even possible?

I was thinking of using the DASL board I have from Streets of fire , or would it be better to just use a blown up version of the SK1 maps?

Also what would be the most alluring to new players? Tanks or Infantry ( dont anyone say Black SS!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Visually, I would go with a 2 board scenario using fresh looking boards and a having low counter density. I wouldn't worry about using AFV's and guns. I might avoid hills and chapter E through G.

I think if you just play in a very basic style the game can be simpler. Basic line up and shoot, don't use the tricks of the system, like firelanes, overrun, bypass, unless they ask if it can be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually thinking using SK rules instead , even though I play Full ASL irregularly Im not sure if having a huge binder around would be a good idea.

I was thinking something that was a sort of tactical puzzle to solve, IE something quick and not massive

Thanks for the ideas though! Ill give it some thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with your gut on the SK rules. Tanks are fun and all but I'd also stick with infantry only as those are the core rules for the game system and most new players would pick up SK1 first.

You could try to have multiple people play by giving each person a leader and some squads in whichever scenario you choose. Then as you go through the turn order they can discuss the appropriate thing to do with their units with the people on their side.

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest a simple scenario like Gavin Take or The Guards Counter Attack. I learned ASL by just playing Gavin Take and found it immediately interesting. I think Guards Counter Attack would be a better starting scenario though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that Blacks were allowed in the SS.[ba-dum-bum!]

I've been pondering this because I will soon be teaching the game to one of the guys from our weekly meet up. I am leaning towards going through the updates of the SL 1/2/3 Holy Trinity or working our way through Paratrooper. I have always had a dyspeptic gut reaction to SKASL - "go all in or just do SL" is my basic reaction. I am tempted to start with some HASL scenario stuff because the maps are more coherent and I suspect there are plenty of decent small scenarios. I'd go with DASL if you are trying to lure in Memoir '44 players.

Of course, all this could change after I ask him what he wants to start with. Could end up starting with Vichy vs Free French in Syria for all I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im thinking Ill just enlarge my SK1 maps and use those .

Brent, without the SKs I would never have played ASL , I think they do a better job than using Paratrooper , and even in their simpler form, they are quite a lot of rules to digest/grok

Robert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you might even try not even using a scenario at all: just compose two forces, have then enter the board on opposite sides, and say "whoever controls this center building/group of buildings wins." That way, you can spend more time on demoing the game itself and not worry about talking about scenario cards. You can do that afterwards.

Consider using the Heat of Battle mechanics along with SK. That's one of those things that doesn't happen too much and it isn't very rules intensive, but brings a lot of great narrative to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really loved Jay Richardson's (?) tutorials on SK1. No scenario, minimal markers. All the phases are demonstrated. But the part that I loved was the way he ran through the same situation several times using different tactics to demonstrate strengths and weaknesses and to show how the rules flowed. For someone just trying to learn the game (if that is your audience) it is a great way to start to pick it up. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would certainly go with a starter kit over paratroopers. Not too many people want to learn a game that is OOP. At least with SKs I could learn a scenario, enjoy it and purchase it (at the time of this writing). I think MMP will be publishing the SKs for a while yet. Plus it's much more affordable to someone who wants to dabble.

Also I would advice against having a 2 inch stack of play aides and the full rule binder.

ASL has a reputation of being godawful complex. I think your main goal would be showing people that it's not so intimidating.

Also wear something sexy. Maybe something low-cut. That'll bring the crowds in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You wear something dark and sinister because your going to help...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
assuming the demo is going to be in Canada, a scenario featuring Canadians!
One way to interest the locals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.