Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Watch It Played - Come play WoA with us right now! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't really a Play By Forum post, but it's kinda like it.
This isn't really a Review, but it's kind of like it.
This really isn't a Session Report, but it's kinda like it.

So I'm posting in General.

Last monsth we created a video series playing through an entire game of Mansions of Madness using the moves submitted from BoardGameGeek members. We learned the rules, we had fun and people seemed to really enjoy it.

Our first video is now over 3,300 views and over 300 people watched the entire series of 23 videos. No one was more surprised than me, I assure you. You can go here to see the list of videos from that series:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/674805/inner-sanctum-a-play-...

Well, we're getting ready to do it again, but this time we have a new channel.

The first video in the series is always the more daunting one, because I have to go through the rules, so if you are familiar with the game, you can skip the first video (you'll want to watch the first five minutes or so to see how we're setting things up). However, if you're on the fence about this game, or others in the D&D Adventure Series, this first video will give you a good basic sense of the rules, and prepare you to be able to submit possible moves to our game.
We'd love to have you along for the ride!

Follow all the action on our new channel: www.youtube.com/watchitplayed

Video 1 in the new series can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbY_p2Zb3Y
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bloch
Canada
flag msg tools
Just to let you know, you're using the HP Tokens wrong. You're supposed to add them when your hero takes damage, just like the Damage Tokens for Monsters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it played both ways. Either way should be fine as long as the players understand how to implement the extra 2HP gained from levelling up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bloch
Canada
flag msg tools
Fair enough. The math involved in leveling up makes me prefer the easier to understand damage counter method, but I also prefer to have my character sheet with the art showing. This game has very little art as it is, and it just looks cooler. And then I know something is wrong if the art is getting covered too much by HP Tokens!

EDIT: It also makes it easier to track Villain HP if you use the HP Tokens as damage counters, because they have a lot more than 1 HP or 2 HP and it would look kind of silly to have 6 Damage Tokens around one figure. You could place the HP Tokens over the Villain art just like you would over the Hero art.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
I've seen it played both ways. Either way should be fine as long as the players understand how to implement the extra 2HP gained from levelling up.


I have not found a rule that states this anywhere, although I have heard people talk about it. Even the Legend Of Drzzt rules don't include this anyhere I could see.

Is this a case of a rule people have added in after the fact?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DBloch2012 wrote:
Just to let you know, you're using the HP Tokens wrong. You're supposed to add them when your hero takes damage, just like the Damage Tokens for Monsters.


I checked the rules on that as well, and I don't see that anywhere. They don't specify. I've always thought of HP as something you start with and then lose as you are hurt, so that's why I tend to do it that way when playing this game. That said, it IS a shame to cover up the little bit of artwork the game provides on the cards!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I think people use the "add HP tokens when taking damage" method simply for the level up purpose....

simple example: an 8hp hero with 3 damage tokens, levels...and turns into a 10hp hero with 3 damage tokens.....

so either way, just make sure the way you're doing it, that when a hero is lucky to level up, that you throw a couple hp tokens on them......
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bloch
Canada
flag msg tools
Pelvidar wrote:
chromaticdragon wrote:
I've seen it played both ways. Either way should be fine as long as the players understand how to implement the extra 2HP gained from levelling up.

I have not found a rule that states this anywhere, although I have heard people talk about it. Even the Legend Of Drzzt rules don't include this anyhere I could see.

Is this a case of a rule people have added in after the fact?

Well, as far as I know, there is no rule on how to use the Damage Tokens for Monsters, either. Like chromaticdragon says, it's up to the player's preference.

Pelvidar wrote:
DBloch2012 wrote:
Just to let you know, you're using the HP Tokens wrong. You're supposed to add them when your hero takes damage, just like the Damage Tokens for Monsters.

I checked the rules on that as well, and I don't see that anywhere. They don't specify. I've always thought of HP as something you start with and then lose as you are hurt, so that's why I tend to do it that way when playing this game. That said, it IS a shame to cover up the little bit of artwork the game provides on the cards!

If it works better for you to use the HP Tokens to count how much HP you have left, instead of how much HP you have lost, then don't worry about it. Personally, I view HP in the same way as you do, but I use the value on the card at the start instead of counting out that many HP Tokens. Again, just my personal preference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly there are no actual rules on this. We still use the gold HP tokens from Castle Ravenloft and flip them over to the black side when heroes/villains are injured.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Tinnel
United States
Mansfield Center
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Oddly there are no actual rules on this. We still use the gold HP tokens from Castle Ravenloft and flip them over to the black side when heroes/villains are injured.


We do the same.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I believe damage tokens for monsters are specific to the figure and not the card....so if you have 2 skeletons on the board and two heroes each have a skeleton card...you don't keep track of which skeleton card took damage, but rather, which skeleton figure took damage....and then, when a skeleton figure is destroyed, you take the experience card from the active player.....if that player doesn't have one, then move onto the first hero with a skeleton card and take that experience card....correct me if I'm wrong though....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DBloch2012 wrote:
Well, as far as I know, there is no rule on how to use the Damage Tokens for Monsters, either.


Actually there are.

EDIT - ninja'd by Chadwick.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bloch
Canada
flag msg tools
EDIT: Nevermind. I'm stupid.

WoA Rulebook, p. 10 wrote:
If more than one Hero controls that type of Monster, the player who made the attack discards the card if he or she controls one of those Monsters. If not, go clockwise around the table. The first player you reach who controls one of those Monsters discards that Monster Card.

I just assume that, since both tokens say HP on them, they both work in the same fashion as damage counters. That's all I'm saying. The Rulebook backs me up, too:

WoA Rulebook, p. 9 wrote:
Damage that does not reduce a Monster or Hero to 0 Hit Points stays on that Monster or Hero (use the Hit Point tokens to track damage).

The emphasis is mine. Note that, although another assumption, there are both Hit Point Tokens and Monster Hit Point Tokens. I believe that the phrasing "Monster or Hero" means to include both to track damage for Monsters and Heroes respectively.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
the rulebook wrote:
The player controlling
that Monster discards the Monster Card into the Experience
Pile. If more than one Hero controls that type of
Monster, the player who made the attack discards the card if
he or she controls one of those Monsters. If not, go clockwise
around the table. The first player you reach who controls one of
those Monsters discards that Monster Card.


this works very well, if you keep track of the figures damage....not sure how well it would work putting the damage on the card...maybe someone could explain.....

......also, if you have three Gibbering Mouthers on the board...you would want to keep track of which actual one took damage....it can get confusing as they are all moving around....so for simplicities sake, I like to keep the damage with the actual figure...this way, I don't prematurely kill one, just because I fail to recall which mouther actually took damage......
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bloch
Canada
flag msg tools
@Chadwick: You are right. I was mistaken, and posted my reply too soon before I checked my sources. I do that sometimes, and I apologize.

However, the original debate was about the use of Hit Point Tokens on Heroes. I still believe they are damage counters used to track how much damage the Hero has taken (*). The Rulebook also seems to confirm this on page 9.

(*) Instead of as health counters to show how much health the Hero has left.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Turn one
http://youtu.be/W77NhsaR75Y

the most popular suggestion has been
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
I would step adjacent to the orc at the tile edge. Then attack with the at-will power to attempt to heal the wizard before then exploring the tile edge.


as far as the suggestions on how the turns should go....I like the idea of you guys taking on the role of another character....that way each video would start with the community turn, then you taking a turn....rinse, repeat....

love the progression of the watch it played....the logo is fun...good job....look forward to another season....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VonVeederVeld wrote:
as far as the suggestions on how the turns should go....I like the idea of you guys taking on the role of another character....that way each video would start with the community turn, then you taking a turn....rinse, repeat....


This is the idea that appeals to me the most as far as changing the format goes. I may give that a try!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VonVeederVeld wrote:

as far as the suggestions on how the turns should go....I like the idea of you guys taking on the role of another character....that way each video would start with the community turn, then you taking a turn....rinse, repeat....


I took your advice in episode 4! I think this WILL work out better... makes a little more effort on my part, but might make each video a little more satisfying for viewers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bloch
Canada
flag msg tools
I don't know if you're still viewing this thread, but I don't have a YouTube account and I wanted to back you up on your theory from Episode 5 about the 2 HP you get from leveling up. It does mean that your base capacity for hit points increases by two, and you can actually see it by looking at the Hero. For example, Vistra has a capacity of 8 HP at Level 1 and a capacity of 10 HP at Level 2.

The reason they say you gain more hit points when you level is because of what others and myself mentioned in the posts above: you are using the Hit Point Tokens as health counters which you remove from the base total when you take damage. However, that base total increases by 2 when you level up, so you would need to "add" two Hit Point Tokens to make up the difference.

I hope this makes sense. It's the main reason others, and the rules, say to use the Hit Point Tokens as damage counters. It's less confusing that way.

EDIT: Also, I can't remember, but did you remove Tarak's Dazed Condition Token at the end of his Hero Phase? Maybe you should make a checklist for each turn, because as good as the Sequence of Play cards are for the basics they don't remind you of things like Curses or Conditions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DBloch2012 wrote:
I don't know if you're still viewing this thread, but I don't have a YouTube account and I wanted to back you up on your theory from Episode 5 about the 2 HP you get from leveling up. It does mean that your base capacity for hit points increases by two, and you can actually see it by looking at the Hero. For example, Vistra has a capacity of 8 HP at Level 1 and a capacity of 10 HP at Level 2.

The reason they say you gain more hit points when you level is because of what others and myself mentioned in the posts above: you are using the Hit Point Tokens as health counters which you remove from the base total when you take damage. However, that base total increases by 2 when you level up, so you would need to "add" two Hit Point Tokens to make up the difference.

I hope this makes sense.

EDIT: Also, I can't remember, but did you remove Tarak's Dazed Condition Token at the end of his Hero Phase? Maybe you should make a checklist for each turn, because as good as the Sequence of Play cards are for the basics they don't remind you of things like Curses or Conditions.


This is the first time I think I've fully understood the point people have been trying to make about the 2 hit points. I see now how depending on whether you use the Hit Points tokens as health or damage can make a difference.

Seeing how that figures out now, it does seem like using the HP as damage is a better way to go (although it drves me crazy to think of these little shield things as damage) - why not make it obvious they were meant as damage, as the blood red monster damage tokens are.

Why not call them damage tokens, instead of labelling them as hit points?

I'm glad you folks persisted though, I think I've come around to your way of thinking.

PS. Yup, we got Tarak's dazed conditon token off.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bloch
Canada
flag msg tools
Sweet. I'm enjoying both your and BlackBeltGaming's videos. I especially like the fact that you take your time and read the flavor text. When playing with my friends we kind of skip that over after a while (*), so it's great to see someone using them during the game.

(*) I think they feel a little awkward when I read text aloud. It's unfortunate, because eventually I want to run campaigns based on the Ravenloft and Firestorm Peak modules for the board games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
This is the first time I think I've fully understood the point people have been trying to make about the 2 hit points. I see now how depending on whether you use the Hit Points tokens as health or damage can make a difference.

Seeing how that figures out now, it does seem like using the HP as damage is a better way to go (although it drves me crazy to think of these little shield things as damage) - why not make it obvious they were meant as damage, as the blood red monster damage tokens are.

Why not call them damage tokens, instead of labelling them as hit points?

I'm glad you folks persisted though, I think I've come around to your way of thinking.

PS. Yup, we got Tarak's dazed conditon token off.

To be honest, I would still use them as Hit Points, removing them as damage is sustained. However, Leveling up should increase your current, as well as your maximum, hp. This would make it feel more like leveling up in the RPG D&D games to me.

Great videos, by the way. I've really been enjoying them and hope to pick this game up soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcYWgxgsR4o

episode seven is up showing turns 8 & 9....

hats off to Rodney...what a great and enjoyable series to watch...you guys have such warm charisma and really show people how they too can enjoy these games...I have become of fanboy of watch it played, and get really excited to watch as each episode is uploaded....I also am a fanboy of these D&D adventure systems, so I really like that you are proving that these games aren't broken, and that by playing by the rules in the book they can be extremely fun and enjoyable to play.....thanks for that.....

this was my favorite episode so far...I have yet to play this specific scenario myself, and really look forward to it now....Lukes choices this turn were great...my son is four and judging from Lukes understanding of the game, I feel confident that my boy will also be able to grasp the concept (maybe with a bit of help from dad) .... so keep it up, your doing great things for the gaming community....
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VonVeederVeld wrote:
this was my favorite episode so far...I have yet to play this specific scenario myself, and really look forward to it now....Lukes choices this turn were great...my son is four and judging from Lukes understanding of the game, I feel confident that my boy will also be able to grasp the concept (maybe with a bit of help from dad) .... so keep it up, your doing great things for the gaming community....


When Luke and I were playing this game regularily, there were times I could leave the game set up in his room and he would do an entire Scenario himself. I'd go in an check every now and then, and he was better at avoding rules erros than I am

So, yes - feel confident. Shoot above their heads, they'll surprise you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gecko's video contribution was awesome! showing mad paintig skills.

Im hooked on these series; you got lots of charisma and make it REALLY funny.

How cool is it that Luke and Andrea play with their dad. I'm just loving this.

Edit: new chapter linky

http://www.youtube.com/user/WatchItPlayed#p/u/0/5jF1w0naYGE
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.