Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too long ago my wife learned she is of ½ Danish descent. Her father was adopted and his records, including ancestry, were not available until a certain time period after he passed away.

So now I’d like to do something nice for her to celebrate her now knowing her heritage. What might be something culturally Danish that we could do together (within a budget)? Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Danish by ancestry, on both my mother's and father's side. Somewhat detached from true Danish culture though, so I won't have mucht to offer. Here's some ideas:

Lego is Danish, so get her some Lego... might even be fun.

Cold rice pudding with hot cherry sauce is a Danish dessert we've had on numerous occasions... usually around Christmas. I have no idea how to make it, as my parents/grandparents usually do it. Other Danish foods we've had include meatballs (similar to Swedish meatballs), shredded cabbage, and anything with cinnamon on it.

Vikings were Danish, so maybe you'd like to find a Viking-themed game? There are a number of them out there (personally I'm a fan of Yggdrasil).

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danes are keen cyclists. You could go for a nice bike ride followed by a smørrebrød picnic (smørrebrød is the Danish open sandwich usually on rye bread). And a nice cold bottle of Tuborg to quench your thirst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Danes have long been noted for their elaborate carpentry and wax-working. Along with a famous love of pickled herring and grouse, they love to eat many many boiled eggs. They're big on pole-vaulting too, it's practical the national sport there. I say practically, because the national sport is line dancing, which they invented over 300 years ago. Danes are also famous for spycraft and often send letters written in code in invisible ink, including the address. The post office actually has a dept exclusively for cracking both the chemical and encryption problems and pride themselves on delivering all secret letters within 4 working days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
Throw away all her shoes and replace them with clogs. I'm sure she'll love it.*

*Note: I am not responsible if for some inexplicable reason she doesn't love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure, but I think Jon may still be holding a grudge against us Danes from when we invaded 1200 years ago.

What you do need, is to get yourself an Æbleskiver pan, preferably cast iron.

Then you can learn how to make these.

You can serve them with butter, syrup, powdered sugar, jam or sour cream. We usually have them for our Christmas Eve dinner, along with bacon and sausage.

Here is my grandmother's recipe:

2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
3 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons sugar
apple sauce (optional)

Separate egg yolks and whites. Beat egg yolks. Add sugar, salt and milk. Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder together and add to the milk and eggs. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Heat the pan on medium heat. Add a small amount of oil to each cup of the pan and fill 2/3 full of batter. (Optional: Place a small amount of apple sauce on top, then cover with a few drops of batter.) Cook until it bubbles, then turn carefully with a fork and finishing cooking the other side. Remove from the pan. Add more oil and batter until all of the batter is cooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Or more historically Invade Sweden (; , oh and Norway, and England, and France oh and Ireland. Oh not that historical...

And say Swedes are stuck up and drink load of "elephant beer"... (;

Okey really http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sm%C3%B8rrebr%C3%B8d is one of thoose things. There is also some other traditional danish food
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_cuisine

I am sure there is more stuff, but I don't remember what my grandmother teached me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, food is always a good idea! I’ll even try (gasp) to cook for her (normally I’m the clean up guy not the cook). I’ll have to get her an Æbleskiver pan, she’ll love that since she loves to cook. I better not touch her shoes, my god, when she first moved in with me years ago her shoe collection by itself was one full car load (that’s a four seater plus trunk packed).
A bike outing is also a great idea. Maybe up along the Gloucester coast when the New England leaves are turning.
A two person invasion of Nantucket or Martha’s Vineyard sometime might be a good idea as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions, this was a great help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Billythehut wrote:
Alright, food is always a good idea! I’ll even try (gasp) to cook for her (normally I’m the clean up guy not the cook). I’ll have to get her an Æbleskiver pan, she’ll love that since she loves to cook. I better not touch her shoes, my god, when she first moved in with me years ago her shoe collection by itself was one full car load (that’s a four seater plus trunk packed).
A bike outing is also a great idea. Maybe up along the Gloucester coast when the New England leaves are turning.
A two person invasion of Nantucket or Martha’s Vineyard sometime might be a good idea as well.

Oh thanks, you totally ignored all of mine! And they were totally not made up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Billythehut wrote:

Oh thanks, you totally ignored all of mine! And they were totally not made up.

We’ll you can hardly say I “totally ignored” your post (you got a thumbs up). Although I do admit I thought you were joking (and you got a good laugh out of me).
Trouble is; elaborate carpentry or wax-working just isn’t my forte, I dance worse than I sing, I probably shouldn’t spy on my wife, and that leaves pole-vaulting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
My Grandmother is Danish, and I know very little about it except one little thing. Researching Danish descent is damned near impossible. As their surnames were always who daughter or son you were. e.g. My Grandma was named Ane Steffensdatter, her dad was named Steffen Petersen, and his dad, will you guessed it Peter Nielsen, and so on...Damn frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Billythehut wrote:
Not too long ago my wife learned she is of ½ Danish descent. Her father was adopted and his records, including ancestry, were not available until a certain time period after he passed away.

So now I’d like to do something nice for her to celebrate her now knowing her heritage. What might be something culturally Danish that we could do together (within a budget)? Any suggestions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akvavit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erniepaul wrote:
baking soda and baking powder together

Really? Doesn't it just explode with CO2????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Erniepaul wrote:
baking soda and baking powder together

Really? Doesn't it just explode with CO2????

Don't know the chemistry, but I've never had them explode! Maybe this is what makes them airy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erniepaul wrote:
Don't know the chemistry, but I've never had them explode! Maybe this is what makes them airy.

Well yeah, but baking powder is just baking soda with extras. The recipe might as well say baking soda and a whole lot more baking soda and stand back.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodchemistry/f/blbaking.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clogs, c'mon, everybody knows that's the Dutch...

Apart from that, this thread's great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I most add that though I am 1/8th Danish on my mothers side, that side has been to and from Scania a lot more (Of course it migt have been Danish when they started beeing there)

And then this cake would be easier to assume:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spettekaka

If I remember correctly my parrents had one of thoose as a wedding cake (no wonder they did not hold together)

I wonder if you got veganize it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teloric wrote:
Cold rice pudding with hot cherry sauce is a Danish dessert we've had on numerous occasions... usually around Christmas. I have no idea how to make it, as my parents/grandparents usually do it. Other Danish foods we've had include meatballs (similar to Swedish meatballs), shredded cabbage, and anything with cinnamon on it.

The cold rice pudding is really a bi-product of the traditional, warm rice porridge (made from rice and milk), which one eats with cinnamon and sugar. In its warm form, it's very much a winter dish, though not necessarily a Christmas one.

Any leftovers from the porridge are allowed to cool down, and then mixed with whipped cream, chopped almonds and a bit of vanilla and sugar. As you say, it's traditionally eaten with a hot cherry sauce (in our family we provide a cold caramel/whipped cream sauce as an alternative ) and it is exclusively a dish for Christmas: It's traditionally eaten for dessert on Christmas Eve, with one whole almond mixed in: The person getting the almond gets a special present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
jens_hoppe wrote:
Teloric wrote:

The cold rice pudding is really a bi-product of the traditional, warm rice porridge (made from rice and milk), which one eats with cinnamon and sugar. In its warm form, it's very much a winter dish, though not necessarily a Christmas one.

Any leftovers from the porridge are allowed to cool down, and then mixed with whipped cream, chopped almonds and a bit of vanilla and sugar. As you say, it's traditionally eaten with a hot cherry sauce (in our family we provide a cold caramel/whipped cream sauce as an alternative ) and it is exclusively a dish for Christmas: It's traditionally eaten for dessert on Christmas Eve, with one whole almond mixed in: The person getting the almond gets a special present.

Sadly this is eaten in Sweden too and it tastes horrible. At least in parts of Sweden, the porridge is sadly everywhere (it's even more horrible than it sounds. Or maybe I just have a general hate of porridge)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
Sadly this is eaten in Sweden too and it tastes horrible. At least in parts of Sweden, the porridge is sadly everywhere (it's even more horrible than it sounds. Or maybe I just have a general hate of porridge)

There are very few things I don't like to eat, so I would have to disagree about the awfullness of rice porridge ("risengrød" for those of you looking to pick up a few Danish words ). In fact, my 6yo son loves the dish so much, we get it throughout the year several times a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some rather unpleasent memories with connection to bullies and porridge (hey "risgrynsgröt", they are almost the same word)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.