Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Deluxe expansions are the way to start. With a single core each deluxe expansion can create 2 decks from the pre-constructed list included with them. Further you can still make enough tweaks to make them your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Unger
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
A Lannister always pays his debts.
badge
"There are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes."
mbmbmbmb
If you intend to use some of the mechanics that were developed after the original release, you'll have to look into buying the chapter packs. The summer/winter mechanic was introduced in the "A Time of Ravens" chapter pack cycle, while a lot of shadow cards (and the accompanying rule) were first introduced in the "King's Landing" cycle.

Here's some of the things you'll miss when not buying chapter packs:

* Night's Watch/Wildlings (neutral sub theme, "Defenders of the North" cycle)
* Brotherhood (neutral characters, "Brotherhood without Banners" cycle)
* Maesters (a popular agenda with lots of cards for it, "Secrets of Oldtown" cycle)

You will absolutely get the most bang for your buck if you buy the deluxe expansions first, but the chapter pack cycles offer some really great variety both in cards and mechanics and can have a stronger impact on your decks than the big expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider buying the 'Ancient Enemies' and 'Sacred Bonds' chapter packs.

They have a very high $ to goodness ratio.

Then tear through the deluxe expansions.

Also, I can't say enough about this website:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/GoTCards.html

It let's you check out each card in every pack and box set so you can decide where to splurge your cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Consider buying the 'Ancient Enemies' and 'Sacred Bonds' chapter packs.

They have a very high $ to goodness ratio.

Then tear through the deluxe expansions.

Also, I can't say enough about this website:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/

It let's you check out each card in every pack and box set so you can decide where to splurge your cash.

The thing is you simply cannot beat the deluxe packs for sheer card volume and keyword proliferation.

I will, however, second the Enemies cycle; there are indispensable cards there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

The thing is you simply cannot beat the deluxe packs for sheer card volume and keyword proliferation.

Oh no I agree. Just that for completist players (cough cough) buying one deluxe expansion means buying them all.

If they want to dabble a little bit before going all in I would recommend those two chapter packs first. Then if you like the game and like deck-fiddling, go hog wild and straight into the deluxe expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Johnson
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, there's 2 types of deluxe expansions.

The Martell and Greyjoy boxes will give you a set of cards to play for those houses, and you really can't build a deck for those houses without those particular expansions. If you're interested in those houses, that's a good place to start. Also, they provide some useful neutral and house specific cards, not to mention a few really good plots like the Red Wedding and Threat from the North.

Now, the other 3 (and soon to be 4 when the Lannister box comes out) house expansions expand upon the core set, and give you some powerful cards for each house represented by the box. These are the expansions that provide deck lists for you to try out. I would highly recommend these over chapter packs because each box gives you 2 themes you can try out.

Stark has a Tully power rush deck along with a Direwolf Siege deck.

Baratheon gets a power rush deck, along with Knights deck.

Targ gets a Dragon-based power rush deck (notice a trend here?), as well as an army deck.

If you're trying to learn the game, you can get these deluxe expansions and try out the different strategies first, and then expand from there. If you enjoy rush decks your future chapter pack choices will be different than if you want a control-type deck.

Those are some thoughts, hopefully they're helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no prebuilt decks for Martell or Greyjoy. You just get 3x each of 55 cards and can build whatever deck suits you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Johnson
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that really could make Martell/Greyjoy stronger than the core set is having 3x of each card. It will make your decks more consistent for having 3x important locations/non-uniques, and it gives you 3x of your important uniques (like Red Viper). Other than that the houses are pretty similar in power level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
rwjohnson wrote:
and it gives you 3x of your important indispensable uniques (like Red Viper). Other than that the houses are pretty similar in power level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
There are no prebuilt decks for Martell or Greyjoy. You just get 3x each of 55 cards and can build whatever deck suits you.

Don't listen to Drew. He knows NOTHING about AGoT =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Tarin
msg tools
Hi,

I'm also new to AGOT (I've bought my first core this morning to start playing intensively) and I would also want to know what's worth buying first. However, I'm asking this from a tournament approach, ie, I pretend to start attending tournaments in a month or two. If anybody could suggest me what to buy first, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jr. Cukingnan
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Duck + Hat = Duck Hat
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
rwjohnson wrote:
and it gives you 3x of your important indispensable uniques cards(like Red Viper Areo Hotah and the Paramour, plus events like Red Vengeance). Other than that the houses are pretty similar in power level.

zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tarkin84 wrote:
Hi,

I'm also new to AGOT (I've bought my first core this morning to start playing intensively) and I would also want to know what's worth buying first. However, I'm asking this from a tournament approach, ie, I pretend to start attending tournaments in a month or two. If anybody could suggest me what to buy first, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

From that perspective start with 2x core sets as normal and the Mart/Greyjoy expansions, then you are going to want to pick a house or two you want to focus on (unless you want a tournament quality deck with all 6 houses in which case buy everything ). Once you know what your main houses are going to be it will be much easier to determine what you should buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bestor
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Refugees of War yet. It's the Chapter Pack [thread=http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/592228/so-im-considering-get...]Grift's fantastic thread[/thread] most advocates, and with good reason. The Refugee cards available in that pack are just great. There are some other decent cards in the pack, but it's the zero cost 2 STR characters you want.

http://agot.dbler.com/?view=dsearch&textsearch=refugee&frt=0...=

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Tarin
msg tools
Darksbane wrote:

From that perspective start with 2x core sets as normal and the Mart/Greyjoy expansions, then you are going to want to pick a house or two you want to focus on (unless you want a tournament quality deck with all 6 houses in which case buy everything ). Once you know what your main houses are going to be it will be much easier to determine what you should buy.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tarkin84 wrote:

I pretend to start attending tournaments in a month or two.

I suspect that the opposition will be remarkably easy to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Tarin
msg tools
Not necessarily, I just want to start playing tournaments and don't mind geting beaten badly while I learn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orange Dragon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
tarkin84 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.

I have a slightly different suggestion: an approach I used/am using. Decide first which house or houses you would like to focus on first, then proceed from there. For example, I decided on Martell, Targ, and [later] Stark. I bought those expansion boxes first and supplemented a chapter pack every two weeks or so. I don't even have the Greyjoy or Bara boxes yet... but I will.

For the chapter packs, use the excellent search sites [below] to find good cards for your preferred house(s) and see which chapter packs to prioritize.

http://www.cardgamedb.com
http://www.agotcards.org

either way, get Refugees of War asap; this has tournament competitive cards for every house.

Good Luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Tarin
msg tools
Thank you for all of your advice!

Is there any way of playing this game online to start with the beatings ASAP?

Sorry for all this newbie questions and thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's a fairly active scene that uses 'Octgn' and Skype to play real-time online games.

I don't use it myself, but there's plenty of threads scouting for online players over at the Fantasy Flight Games forums (where you'll probably be able to find somebody a bit more expert to advise on how to use the various bits of software).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.