Subject: 7-8 player game of substance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Hiya everyone!

I was looking for a bit of help in thinking about my next purchase. This may be a tough ask so I apologise if I’m asking a lot!

My gaming group has been steadily getting bigger so much so that many of the old 4-5 player games hardly ever hit the table any more. We now on average have between 7-8 players (though sometimes only 5 or 6).

The group is very fond of games like Shadows over Camelot and Battlestar (they like the hidden traitor mechanic). Other games which we have that cater for such numbers are 7 wonders, the resistance, castle of the devil (thought they don’t want to play it), citadels, incan gold (they dont like) and saboteur.

Sadly we have played a lot of these games to death and many of them (as you can see) are simply fillers. We need something with a bit more meat to it.

Can you think up any solid games which:

No player elimination.

Not a filler. We have a number of these type of games already.

Though meaty can still be completed in an evening (an evening with light hearted banter and drinks, not "oh my god we must race through this to finish on time").

Caters for 7-8 players and perhaps 5-6 players as well.

Is not "luck" based. Dice rolling is all good and well but my group like to have ways of mitigating bad luck with intelligent play.

An interesting theme (we are not generally that fond of pushing cubes around a board or saying "yay I’m the best 15th century bread and grape seller!").

Any advice you can give would be fantastic. Though please avoid simply saying "break the group in half and play games which require fewer players"... I am aware of this option and we do on occasion, but would like a good game to bring everyone together not break them into small groups.

EDIT added incan gold and citadels to my list of things i already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Realm seats 16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror - can play up to 8 players. Has a great theme but a bit of a luck element in the dice rolling for skill checks.

Formula D - tons of dice rolling but is really not luck based as the dice ranges are fairly consistent with decision making, If you play like an absolute idiot there is a chance of player elimination, but sometimes the risk is worth the reward. Has a great theme and the mechanics really work with it. Can play up to 10 players!

Tannhäuser - Tactical miniature games are not my thing, but the theme is interesting and there is certainly a lot of strategy to embrace, again, a little bit of dice rolling and player elimination but can play up to 10.

Cosmic Encounter - With both of the small expansions can play up to 7 and has infinite replayability.

Citadels - A great little game that is an amazing amount of fun with a lot of players. There is little to no luck factor and while some games may appear to have a runaway leader problem there is no player elimination. The theme is kind of there with the buildings and all, but the roles make this game really shine! Plays up to 8!

Unnamed Object - I know you werent exactly looking for filler type games but Incan Gold is a great little press your luck game! It plays up to 8 and really captures the theme of exploration well as you decide each turn whether to take what you've got and move on or keep exploring further for more riches! Plays up to 8 as well! Once a player quits they are out for the round but rounds move fairly quickly so that's not a big deal.

I've personally played each of these games, and they are all great fun (tannhauser is my least fave on this list) but I don't think you could go wrong with any of these. There are many great games that cap out at 6 players you might want to look into if you have a couple not show up up sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon craddock
United Kingdom
widnes
cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outpost

Outpost would be my suggestion with the reprint comming out shortly.
The game scales well from 3-8 players with an average game length of 20-25 minutes per player.I introduced this to my own group last year and it regularly gets a couple of plays each month and has gone down well.
The game has quite a steep learning curve but does reward good play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a perfect fit for what you're after but The World Cup Game playing a 24 or 32 team tournament sounds like it could suit. It's got an engaging theme (assuming you're into football) that tells a story, fills an evening at a relaxed pace and contains numerous interesting decision points that develop as the game goes on.

There is luck in that you are playing cards drawn from a deck, but there is opportunity to manage your hand, and there is some dice rolling, but it's not the basis of the whole game.

There is also player elimination, but by the time the elimination kicks in the game is well over 75% complete and accelerating towards the end; and folk tend to want to stick around to see who wins.

I don't know whether you'd classify Bohnanza as filler or not, but thats a good hour or so with eight people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires is meaty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
A meaty 7-8 player game that can be completed in an evening is a tough requirement. There's only so much time for each player to do meaningful things in a few hours.

I love big multi-player games, but I usually schedule a whole day for them. Advanced Civilization, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire, etc.

Do you have a stable enough group of players to play a game over a couple sessions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanna second the suggestion for Cosmic Encounter with the expansions (Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion and Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Conflict). Not only do the expansions each add another player, but they enhance the base game in a few ways. Cosmic Encounter is VERY social, and there's really no down time at all when it isn't your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
matt_k wrote:
I don't know whether you'd classify Bohnanza as filler or not, but thats a good hour or so with eight people.

Bohnanza only goes up to 7, unless there's an expansion I'm not aware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game is out now only via the publisher, but will go into widespread release on 13 September. It plays up to 8, but might have a bit more luck than what you're looking for...

I'll also second Outpost, if you can either find an old copy or wait for the reprint. It's a nice meaty game that can handle up to 8, and it can be finished in an evening...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wallace
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6th Circle Nethermancer in Service of the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign is a somewhat shorter spin off of Arkham Horror that is just about to be released. While it does use a lot of dice, there is a fair bit of control. The game plays up to 8 and from what I've heard scales well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandeep Kharkar
United States
Bountiful
UTAH (UT)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Long Shot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you can run it at a brisk pace and not make an overly complex board, Roborally is ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try playing Memoir '44 in overlord scenario or BattleLore: Epic BattleLore (4 to each side). Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Master of the Waz
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kill Doctor Lucky Up to 7, kind of a reverse clue.

Nanuk Up to 8, good bluffing and collection.

RoboRally Up to 8, race game.

Or, you could always play 2 games with 4 players each and switch around. When we have a large number of people show up we usually get in one game with everyone and the a couple smaller games so that we don't miss out on playing any of the favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably not the idea you are looking for, but have you considered combining two copies of a four player game? For example, Dungeon Lords is a nice meaty game for four. If you had two sets, you could allow two people per spot on the worker placement board, double the amount of monsters, adventurers etc. You would obviously have to recolor one set (add a stripe to minions?) and it might require some tweaking, but I think its doable. You could probably do the same thing with Stone Age, 20th Century, and several other worker placement and/or auction games.

If you had enough Small World expansions (i.e at least 22 races), you could combine the 3&5 player maps together for a larger game, although the down time would probably be horrendous.

I once played Dominion with seven at Gamestorm and it worked OK. Again, I think they might have tweaked it by adding a few extra cards than normal.

If you like 7 Wonders, you might be able to expand Glory to Rome to play 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World goes up to 6. Might help out a bit. See it in its new form as Railways of the World.

Another good one for up to 6 is Airlines Europe. The 6 player variant is official and doesn't require a lot of changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Around the World in 80 Days officially only plays to 3-6, but there is a variant on the game page that allows for 7. I have played with seven many times and it works great. In fact, I think it may play best with 7. It is less meaty, but doesn't overstay it's welcome at 1 hour and is definitely good for light-hearted banter and drinks. Plays well with 5-7 players.

If you like race games I second Formula D. About the same depth as Around the World in 80 Days and takes about 2 hours to play. Plays well with 2-10, but make sure with 5 or less players people are driving 2-3 cars each.

I would also suggest Bolide. It is best with 8. It usually takes about an hour and a half for new players to do one lap but if you use Zimeon's simultaneous movement rules in his Alternative Bolide Rules in the files section the game speeds up dramatically. After you are used to the movement, use the sand timer included in the game and you will be completing two laps in about two hours. A bit meatier than Formula D, but not hugely so. Plays well with 2-8. Again, like Formula D, with less than 5 players be sure to run multiple cars each.

I love TurfMaster. In fact it is one of my favorite games and it plays best with 7 or 8. I hate recommending it because it is so hard to track down and so expensive once you do. You can (and must) race three races in under 2 hours. Meatier than any of the above, but still goes well with drinks.

Dead or Alive has a lot in common with Turfmaster - it is also one of my favorites, plays great with 7 (doesn't handle 8) and is almost as hard to find as Turfmaster and nearly as expensive, though with a lot of patience you can find a good players copy under $50 on e-Bay. Plays in about in 60-90 minutes depending on the scenario. This would be the meatiest of the games I have listed and gunfights are best enjoyed with lots of banter and a few beers or whiskys. This game also plays well with 1-6 people. Highly recommended.

Hope this helps and sorry for choosing two hard-to-find games, but it wouldn't feel right not to include them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play this and your group is probably shrinking back to 4-5 players in no time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
some Age of Steam maps can handle 7-8 (you need more bits for trains). my pals and i played Age of Steam Expansion: Vermont, New Hampshire & Central New England this last weekend with 7, an excellent game (note that you need 2 copies of this map to play it as "new england")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karlvonl wrote:
matt_k wrote:

You can play Bohnanza with 8 or 9 or 10, I think it's even better. With a crowd that's yelling and fighting for beans, I don't think the slight shift in probability will matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
+1 on Struggle of Empires - in truth it's the only game I can think of that comes close to meeting all of your requirements - 7 players, real substance, no player elimination, minimum of luck (though there is a combat element involving dice rolling and travel to the colonies has some risk as well), can be played in an evening (around 3-4 hours, maybe a bit less once you know the rules) and from the responses it's as close or closer than anything else I've seen recommended save maybe DIPLOMACY, which is legendary for its innately contentious nature and is a player elimination game - most games that finish will go down to the last 2-3 players.

IMHO, ROBORALLY is at best a long filler game and at worst a filler game that takes too long, and most of the other suggestions fail in at least one key particular if not more - there are a few where I have to wonder if the suggester paid any attention at all to the original post besides "7-8 players".

OTOH, it's very true that games for more than 5 of any kind/depth are fairly uncommon, games for 7 of any kind/depth are fairly rare, and games for 8 of any kind/depth are super rare, so it's no surprise games with real depth to them for those number are incredibly hard to name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Many good games have been mentioned, so I'll just second all.

- Arkham Horror (1-8)
- RoboRally (2-8)
- Elder Sign (1-8)
- A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game (2-8)
- Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game (1-8)
- StarCraft: The Board Game (2-6)

Let us know what you have decided at the end yeah.
Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlvonl wrote:
matt_k wrote:

Which is easy to make, if one has all the standard expansions.
There are plenty of bean types in order to add a few extra sets to the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally is an extremely good game with 8 players, which has very little luck.
7 Ages is good with 7, if one can accept the 15 hrs. playing time.
Ricochet Robots has no luck at all, and can be played with any number.
Breaking Away is a brilliant cycling game without luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.