Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Help of "Morganza" and Tim Seitz.Thank you.
Sovereign change by the designer.

Traduction française plus bas dans ce sujet.

P. 3 Setup

(1.2) Do not place a Prestige on Egypt.

P. 4
3. First player
(re-wording by Beat Stampfli)

"At the First player phase, the token goes to the player on the left, but if a player controls more Monopolies than any other, he takes the First player token instead. "

(1.2) P.6 "Unrest markers, Domestic Revolution" UPDATED effects:

• he must discard his entire Treasury
• he must discard all the Unrest markers on his Nation board
• he is only allowed to play the Last Chance card this Endeavour phase
• he gains 1 Prestige

P. 7, "The Characters, or actions, in detail"

The paragraph "When using a card you can choose which of the two Characters to use. You always have to choose to use one of them but you cannot use both. Note that no Character action is mandatory: you always have the right to pass without using any of them (your action for this round is then lost)." will confuse people. (And it appears equally confusing in French, though my knowledge of that language is inferior.) Perhaps a clearer and simpler way to say it would be:

When using a card, you choose which one of the two Characters to use; you may not use both of them. You may also choose to skip a Character card without taking any action.

P. 8, Advanced Colony Founding Rules, Pro-pirate governors:

You used the word "looses" instead of "loses", sadly a common error even from native speakers of English.

P. 8, Explorer action:

Some people will see the phrase "(for a maximum total reduction of 1)." and interpret that to mean that the difficulty reduction from adjacent territories does not combine with the Seafaring bonus. Perhaps clearer to say (no multiple bonus for multiple adjacent Territories) or even

Also reduce the Difficulty by 1 if you have any counters on any of the adjacent territories.

(1.2) New rule : DISCOVERY OF AUSTRALIA

1. The first successful Exploration allows to pick one of the two Prestige on Australia, as usual, but not to take the Resource space (so action 2 of the Explorer is impossible). Australia’s coasts are only partially explored, and in game terms, it’s status is still « Unexplored ».

2. The second successful Exploration, that has to be conducted on a subsequent round, by the same player or any other, allows to take the remaining Prestige and to take control of the Resource (performing action 2), as usual. Australia is than Explored.

(1.2) New rule: Special bonus for exploring India and China:
when successfuly Exploring India or China, move your Diplomacy marker one space to the right, if possible.

P. 8: Booming City:

I have a Booming City of value 1 on my colony in the West Indies. May I supplant my own Booming City by placing a Booming City of value 2 (if my Economy is high enough) on my colony in New England? YES

May I supplant it with a bigger Booming City in the West Indies? NO

Effects of a Booming City

"loosing" should be "losing"

RULE CHANGE (1.2): instead of doubling the Territory's Resources production, the Booming City has this effect when any Merchant is played:
If the owner agrees, you MUST first ship the Goods from the Booming City's Territory.

P. 9, Merchant:

"Any counter on the map Controlling a Resource normally produces 1 Goods."

I have 5 counters on the resource in the West Indies -- does it produce 1 resource or 5?

One, because the counter controlling the Ressource is the one at the bottom.

(1.2) P. 9, Rebel:

3. Instead of placing an Unrest marker on a Territory, you can flipdiscard a Mission marker...

P. 10, mistake in example

Example : West Africa has 2 Unrest markers, 1 Blue counter and 2 Green counters. Red plays the Rebel there, so he rolls 6 special dice and must remove a Blue or Red Green counter for each Success, his choice.

Spotted by Ben Verhaevert while translating into Dutch.

p. 10, Sovereign: More detailed explanation and change from the original rules.

Resolving a year of war:

A year of war is resolved in 2 theatres of conflict: Land and Sea.
The mechanics are the same for each theatre: each warring player simultaneously rolls a number of special dice equivalent to the numbers of Counters/Squadrons they have, to a maximum of 5 dice. Then, casualties are removed and the war moves on to the next step. (Note: if there are not enough dice for players to roll simultaneously, just roll separately but resolve casualties simultaneously)

Follow this sequence:

a) War on land: Fight as explained above in every Territory where both sides have counters. Casualties are enemy counters in that Territory (max 5 dice per Territory per player). Casualties are removed by the player inflicting them. After removing all casualties, check for changes in resource control as normal, but do not incur diplomatic penalties for changes in control.

b) War on sea: Naval Forces attack (max 5 dice per player).

Casualties are enemy Naval Forces first, then enemy Merchant fleets and enemy Privateers (note that Merchant Fleets and Privateers do not roll dice). Remove casualties in this order:

1)Naval forces first
2)Merchant fleets (once all enemy Naval Forces are lost)
3)Privateers (once all enemy Merchant fleets are lost)

c) SURRENDER opportunity

Warring players MUST go through at least one year of war.

End of the war: A war is over when one of the following happens

1) SURRENDER: One player decides to surrender (defender must choose first, then attacker may choose), then the war ends, and the player who surrendered gives one prestige to the victor

2) DEFEAT(forced surrender): If one side is unable to throw any dice next year, then he loses the war and gives one prestige to the victor

3) UNDECIDED(draw): If both sides are unable to throw any dice in all theatres next year where they were previously able to, then the war ends with no further action

Next year: If the war does not end (neither player wins and there is no draw), then proceed to another year of war, and repeat the process (starting with War on Land) until one side Surrenders, is Defeated, or there is a Draw.

Designer note:
If you've played the boxed rules, and are going to play these, which I advise, be warned it has the following effects, at least:

1. Enhances importance of the Navy progress track.
2. Enhances importance of the Diplomacy track.
3. Gives your Navy it’s historically vital importance.
4. Makes diplomacy even more delicate.
5. Allows a coalition of players to destroy another (sensitive players, be warned, it can be very frustrating to be leading, lose three wars in a row, and see your Empire in flames).

Overall, makes a more dangerous, merciless play, with a much more interesting conflict between Logistics and Navy tracks.

(1.2) Updated TWO-PLAYERS VARIANT

Use this modified exonomic system:

-When playing the Merchant, you don't earn a Treasury when shipping someone else's Good.

-When playing the Trader, you don't earn a Treasury when trading someone else's Good.

and use the alternate COLONY FOUNDING OPTIONS LIST (can perform any number is order)

1. Company:
Transfer 1 of your counters from the Territory to your Merchant fleet box.

2. Pillage:
Gain Treasury equal to the Territory’s Native Power and place an Unrest marker on it. If the Territory has a Gold Resource (yellow edge), gain twice as much Treasury as its Native Power (and still place an Unrest marker).

3. Massacre:
Discard up to two Unrest markers from the Territory and loose 1 Prestige, if possible.

4. Religious pariahs colonists:
Take one or two Unrest markers from your Nation board and move it/them to the Territory.

5. Allied natives: if you’re more advanced than another player that has a presence on the Territory, you can resolve a Rebellion (if possible). Casualties are other player counters on this Territory, but not yours.

6. Pro-pirate governors :
Move backwards 1 space on the Diplomacy track, if possible. Each player with a Merchant Character currently revealed in this round immediately looses 1 Merchant Fleet.

7. (Only in Territories featuring a beige edge Resource) Plantation (and triangular trade):
Immediately steal any other player(s) 1 Merchant Fleet for each black edge Resource you control.

8. Develop: you can remove as many Treasuries from one or several of your Loans as your current value on the Economy track.

See threads in the variant forums for much better 2-players games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules FAQ
Christophe Pont wrote:

The counter controlling the Ressource is the one at the bottom, every Resource controlled produces 1. (But 1 for every Merchant played !)

I'll need a FAQ for this FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules FAQ and ERRATA 1.1
Yaay! Thanks everyone involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Cooper
United Kingdom
Gateshead
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our first, very enjoyable, 5-player game last night - one question came up and it is not answered explicitly here.

If a side is attacked and is not able to throw any dice IN THE FIRST YEAR OF WAR is that an automatic defeat and loss of one prestige?

If so perhaps explicitly include a check at the start of the war (currently the check is at the end), as we found that it happened more than once. We were unsure if you are allowed to attack a nation where you share no territory and the defender has no naval forces (or merchant fleet/privateers). Please could you confirm yes or no on this one.

Christophe Pont wrote:

a) SURRENDER: One player decides to surrender (defender must choose first, then attacker may choose), then the war ends, and the player who surrendered gives one prestige to the victor

b) DEFEAT: If one side is unable to throw any dice next year, then he loses the war and gives one prestige to the victor

c) DRAW: If both sides are unable to throw any dice in a theatre next year where they were previously able to, then the war is a draw and ends with no further action

Next year: If the war does not end (neither player wins and there is no draw), then proceed to another year of war, and repeat the process (starting with War on Land) until one side Surrenders, Loses, or there is a Draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Pont
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Gareth, warring players MUST go through at least one year of war (I added this above, like in the rulebook), and you can declare a war on any nation eligible by diplomacy, even if this nation won't even be able to strike the first year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Cooper
United Kingdom
Gateshead
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodolphe Duhil
France
Rambouillet
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christophe Pont wrote:
Si quelqu'un a besoin d'une traduction en français, mentionnez-le svp !
ça devrait aller.
We'll just need living rules later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Colony in Brazil whistle and use a Governor action to create a level 2 Booming City in there.

In a later turn, I get a Rebellion in Brazil and lose my Colony (losing then, 2 Prestige... 1 for the Colony and 1 additional for the Booming City). Thus, creating an Independent State with a Booming City.

Later, I Viceroy 4 counters to Brazil (which still is an Independent State) and then Colonize it again with a Conqueror action.
Would I gain only 1 Prestige (for the Colony established) or 2 (1 for the Colony and another for the Booming City)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Merchant action:

Does a player need to choose ALL the Goods he want to move prior to the player's consentment?
For example, I can ship 2 Goods to the Market. Currently, I only produce 1 Good in Peru, Player B produces 2 Goods (one in La Plata and another in the Guyanas) and Player C produces 1 Good in New Spain.
I establish that I'll send 1 of my Goods PLUS Player C's Good to the Market. Player C doesn't want (the reason doesn't matter).
Did I spent my 2 Goods "slot" or can I then (after C's refusal) ask Player B if he want to send one of his?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Pont
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is too short for such a thing to happen, but you would gain 1 Prestige for the new Colony, but none for the retake of the City, because it's only when the Booming City is "established" that it rewards you with a Prestige.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Pont
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
endou_kenji wrote:
On the Merchant action:

Does a player need to choose ALL the Goods he want to move prior to the player's consentment?

No. So he can still change his destination if he's rejected.

Thus, you always can ship as many as your Merchant Fleets and the open Resources allow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christophe Pont wrote:
The game is too short for such a thing to happen, but you would gain 1 Prestige for the new Colony, but none for the retake of the City, because it's only when the Booming City is "established" that it rewards you with a Prestige.

On the duration, it really depends on the groupthink... if everybody go around wild on War/Rebellions and attacking others, it would be possible.

Christophe Pont wrote:
endou_kenji wrote:
On the Merchant action:

No. So he can still change his destination if he's rejected.

Thus, you always can ship as many as your Merchant Fleets and the open Resources allow.

Alright, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
a) War on land: Fight as explained above in every Territory where both sides have counters. Casualties are enemy counters in that Territory (max 5 dice per Territory per player). After removing all casualties, check for changes in resource control as normal, but do not incur diplomatic penalties for changes in control.

Christophe made a clarification to the war rules:
Quote:
a) War on land: Fight as explained above in every Territory where both sides have counters. Casualties are enemy counters in that Territory (max 5 dice per Territory per player). Casualties are removed by the player inflicting them. After removing all casualties, check for changes in resource control as normal, but do not incur diplomatic penalties for changes in control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After the Abolition of Slavery is set, do I need to have at least 2 Diplomacy (being on the 2nd space from left to right) to ship a slave, or can I ship it even if I have only 1 (being on the leftmost space on the track)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
You only lose one step if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only get interest if I have Unrest tokens on my Nation Board. If I have zero Unrest tokens, I'll get zero interest in my Loan stacks. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:

I asked because that "if possible" is not on the rulebook.

rulebook wrote:
Black edge Resources (slaves) cannot be shipped by a Merchant, once ANY player reaches Economy level 10 (abolition of slavery), unless the player using the Merchant moves back 1 space on the Diplomacy track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rulebook wrote:
When a Territory has 4 Unrest markers on it, revolution breaks out immediately and it becomes an Independent State. Place the Independent State marker and remove all Unrest markers from the Territory.

Does it becomes an Independent State EVEN if it wasn't a Colony?

When it becomes an Independent State, the counters on the Resource Indicator spaces stay there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
Filipe wrote:

When it becomes an Independent State, the counters on the Resource Indicator spaces stay there?

We played Yes, and Yes.

Though I'm much more confident about the first answer being correct than the second!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:
Filipe wrote:

We played Yes, and Yes.

Though I'm much more confident about the first answer being correct than the second!

Yes and yes. And I am sure about that one. Unless the translation is wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
endou_kenji wrote:
out4blood wrote:

rulebook wrote:
Black edge Resources (slaves) cannot be shipped by a Merchant, once ANY player reaches Economy level 10 (abolition of slavery), unless the player using the Merchant moves back 1 space on the Diplomacy track.

There's another rule that has the same language, "move back and do this", but Christophe has said that being on the bottom of the diplomacy track does not prevent you from doing things. Just makes you a "rogue" state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
endou_kenji wrote:
out4blood wrote:

rulebook wrote:

There's another rule that has the same language, "move back and do this", but Christophe has said that being on the bottom of the diplomacy track does not prevent you from doing things. Just makes you a "rogue" state.

Ah, alright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
...Unless the translation is wrong.

The rules for Independent States (Etats indépendants) are the same in English and French. The issue isn't translation, it's incomplete specification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ wrote:

a) SURRENDER: One player decides to surrender (defender must choose first, then attacker may choose), then the war ends, and the player who surrendered gives one prestige to the victor

b) DEFEAT(forced surrender): If one side is unable to throw any dice next year, then he loses the war and gives one prestige to the victor

c) UNDECIDED(draw): If both sides are unable to throw any dice in a theatre next year where they were previously able to, then the war ends with no further action

Might I request some (mostly) redundant clarifications?

1) Suppose Orange and Black both have three tokens in West Africa (and a few other tokens on the board, but none in the same locations as one another.) Additionally, they both have three naval forces, a single privateer and a couple merchantmen.

In the first year of war, against all the odds, Orange and Black annihilate one another in West Africa - each rolling three hits. Additionally, Orange rolls two hits in the Naval theatre, while Black only rolls one.

So, at the end of the first year of war, both side can still roll Naval dice - so neither is DEFEATed. Both can't roll dice in West Africa (where they had previously been able to) so the War ends UNDECIDED.

(While it follows the rules, why wouldn't they continue the war on the seas?)

1a) Same setup as 1; same results, except Orange (lucky girl!) rolls three hits in the Naval combat, too.

At the end of this war, Black is DEFEATed, since he's not able to throw dice in the Naval theatre nor in any territory on the board. He passes a prestige (if possible) to Orange.

(But he keeps all his Privateers and Merchantmen: in this brave new world of Colonial, he doesn't have the opportunity to lose all his naval tokens instead of that prestige point as was suggested by a previous rules draft, right?)

2) After war 1a, Red attacks Black. Black has no navies left, but has three tokens in the Barbary Coast to one of Red, and one token in Egypt to four of Red. Red has four naval tokens.

The expected happens: Red's token in the Barbary Coast is eliminated; Black's token in Egypt is eliminated; Red's navy gets two hits, and destroys both of Black's merchantmen, leaving him with only a single privateer.

As I read the above, the war isn't over after the first year because both Red and Black are able to throw dice in the Land theatre (Black in Barbary; Red in Egypt), and while Black cannot throw dice in the Naval theatre, he wasn't able to in the first year of War, so it doesn't matter. Thus neither DEFEAT nor UNDECIDED apply, and another year of war happens.

In the second year of war, Black loses his privateer. By the same argument as the first year, the war is still not over, though no more damage can be done by either side. Is this another UNDECIDED case? ("Neither player is in a position to inflict any more damage on the other.")

So clearly I've misinterpreted something, because that sounds completely less than ideal. Is the problem that "theatre" means territory-or-Sea? (Rather than Land-or-Sea?) Then the war is over after the first year in state UNDECIDED (since Black cannot throw dice in Egypt, and Red cannot throw dice in Barbary.)

2a) Same scenario as 2; same results, except Red's token in the Barbary Coast escapes elimination in the first year of war, and Black takes three hits in the Naval theatre.

After that first year, either Black has suffered DEFEAT (if "theatre" includes Egypt - because Black can no longer throw dice in Egypt) or the war continues (with the only possible casualties in the second year occurring in the Barbary Coast.)

In the latter case, does Red's single token need to defeat the three Black tokens in the Barbary Coast (against unlikely odds) in order to achieve victory?

[Edited to remove extraneous 'second'.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules FAQ and ERRATA 1.11
So is this the only page to follow the errata or is there a more updated version somewhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.