Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
just wanted to share a game of Ascension i just completed on my ipod

a strange scenario occurred that made me start to think ( or more like confirm ) that the AI in Ascension is really cheating at times

i have felt for a long time that the cards drawn by the AI were not totally random, esp on the harder difficulty setting
it seems like whenever i can get that high powered card ( say the Hedron Cannon or slay the Avatar of the Fallen ) the AI before me will somehow always have the cards to get it first

anyway, thats not the scenario
my in game scenario was as such

it was the AI opponent's turn before me ( 3 player game )
and he drew enough 6 runes worth of purchasing power
note that this was early in the game

in the middle row were the following cards ( these where the only cards i remember )

- Oziah the Peerless ( 6 Runes, slay Monster costing 6 or less )
- Flytrap Witch ( 5 RUnes, Gain 2 VP, Draw a Card )
- Seer of the Forked Path ( 2 Runes, Draw a Card, Banish card from center row )
- Yggdrasil Staff ( 4 Runes, gain 1 power per turn, trade 4 runes for 3 VPs )

i dont remember the rest
anyway, i half expected the AI to obviously ( i say obviously because it really is the obvious choice ) take Oziah

but strangely enough it chose the Seer, and the next card that came out was Rocket Courier ( 4 Runes )

so it purchased that also.

now, yes i know it isnt that big a point swing ( he purchased 5 points worth of cards and left big cards there )
but it kinda seemed like it knew the next card was the Rocket Courier ! its like, wow, why would you leave all those others behind ?

in the end that AI won because it also managed to snatch up the Avatar of the Fallen and use its ability to obtain the Hedron Cannon ( which i was waiting to buy next btw ).

i dont know what to think.
i dont mind that i lost really. i mean, i play it all the time and i only win like 60% so its no big deal

it just got me thinking how the AI works and whether it truly is fixed in some games you play so that it just makes you feel kinda like you want to play again to even things out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have noticed things like that too. I don't mind it too much though since I think the AI is pretty easy to defeat in this game and I'll take the extra challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played many games of Ascension on the iPod and I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe that it cheats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Stein
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the AI spends its money on whatever is the best deal in terms of honor alone. So, while both Oziah and the Seer provided 1 honor for every rune spent, if he purchased the Seer first, he could do better if an Initiate or a Mechana construct came up (as it did here). Other things along this line -- the AI will never buy a great card like an Arbiter of the Precipice, because 1 honor for 4 runes isnʻt a "good deal". If the AI has an Yggdrasil staff, it will use that first (because 3 honor of 4 runes *is* a good deal). So I donʻt think the AI actually cards about what the cards can do when it buys them.

Another tip - when the AI gets an opportunity to banish something, it will always banish the first card in the lineup.

I definitely canʻt wait for the hard AI, because the medium level can get predictable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
ah ok, well i guess its only me that feels this way then. hahaha

but anyhow i still play it alot before i sleep. i hope to have one for Thunderstone or Dominion if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.