BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: developed new game, need imput rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Wayman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Just got the website back up with changes.
Also would be glad to put a link to BBG.

Years ago I drew up a game for friends and family to play that was loosely based upon personal experiences. Was always told that I should produce it and have finally done so. Thus far I do and have done all the work my self from design, art, printing even the box and have created a web site.

Just found GoardGameGeek today and would appreciate any and all comments on the look of the web page (gemstonegame.com), game looks, and any general feedback about the game and/or getting this game out to the public.

Thanks
Haup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GANDON François
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles

thanks for sharing.
Been on your website, looked at the game and read the rules.

My first comment will be an encouraging one : always good to see one try and develop their own game. So keep up with the good work and continue developing boardgames that you like.

My second comment will be less positive - but I want to be fair and honest : I have nothing specific to say about the website, although it is (understandly in the case of an individual) rather "old fashioned" and not very sexy. I would like to focus more on the game itself. Seems to me it is a kind of roll and move, with no real strategy involved - at least, no real control on your actions and decisions.
If this is the case, hard to believe it can pass the exam for being "officially" published.
Now maybe it comes from the way the rules are written. From the rulebook, it has to be clearer what the objective is, how players achieve it, how the game is set up, what the turn order is etc.

Seems to me it lacks a little bit of structure and clarity.

Don't get me wrong. I do not want to be rude. Just giving my honest and humble opinion.

Last but not least (most important questions in fact) : do you play Gemstone often ? How much do your friends like it ? How many copies have you sold so far ?

Critics can be wrong. Players never :-)

FG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wayman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the imput this is just what I need. As I said, I drew up this game years ago just for fun and to play with friends. After playing i would always get those that would tell me I need to publish it but I never had the time. I have worked toward this goal little by little. It's alot of work. Players ranged from those who are very competitive, and others that are just there for the social gathering. Can't say I've played alot with strict serious gamers.

The game is built so you must employ a strategy to win before another player does but luck can sure help. You have freedom to move about the board independently and must plan ahead. There are many different strategies that I have seen employed most of the competitive players kept there strategies secret.

These are question I would like to address in the presentation. I'm kind of a meat and potatoes guy, but I will look closer and try to incorporate what you call Sexy.

Thanks again

Haup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to be a Monopoly roll and move derivative with spaces consisting of actions such as "roll again", "buy $100", "sell $100". Considering Monopoly is ranked 7238 with a poor 4.5 rating and is mostly the source of ridicule (to be fair, it is respected for what is was), I don't think you are going to generate much interest on this site. On the other hand, Monopoly still sells like crazy so there may be some promise. Have you checked out www.kickstarter.com?ref=bggforums? That may help gauge the interest for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wayman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Yes this game will certainly have it's own type of gamer and BGG may not be a good place to market it, but it seem to be a good place to gather info and suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to move this down to the Game Design Subforum. It's specifically geared towards helping people design games and getting feedback from other designers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.