United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sekigahara VASSAL Module is available from the Vassalengine.org website. Instructions for the module (it's incredibly simple) are on the game's entry page on Vassal's website:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Sekigahara:_Unification_of_Japan

P.S. If you like the module, please drop a Geekgold in the 'ol tip jar.

Enjoy!

-Joel
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huzzah! Thanks, Joel!

Anyone up for a PBEM game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike. I hope to run a live demo later this month.

Oh, if anyone spots a bug with the module please let me know. I'm monitoring this thread just in case.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeO wrote:
Huzzah! Thanks, Joel!

Anyone up for a PBEM game?

I'm most certainly up for a PBEM game, except that I've never played a game anything like this before, so I'd not only be learning to play Sekigahara, but learning block war games and the way they are played on vassal entirely. That being said, I've played 18xx on vassal a few times and I'm generally good at learning stuff, so if you're open to a pbem game with a slow start (as I get up to speed), then I'd appreciate a learning opportunity. I'm leaving for vacation next week, but I'm taking my laptop and playing some pbem 18xx while I'm there, so I can put in a turn a day at the very least, usually more often than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kemp
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
The Sekigahara VASSAL Module is available from the Vassalengine.org website. Instructions for the module (it's incredibly simple) are on the game's entry page on Vassal's website:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Sekigahara:_Unification_of_Japan

P.S. If you like the module, please drop a Geekgold in the 'ol tip jar.

Enjoy!

-Joel

Have a GG Joel. Only days away from receiving the game here in New Zealand.

Might pop on to the Infidel demo this afternoon if I get a chance (Demo starts just after lunch Friday there)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Hey, I just posted some updates to the GMT Ventrilo Events page. We'll be demoing Sekigahara later this month: https://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTVentrilo.aspx

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Joel, it seems like Kiso is missing a hot spot to adjust +/- to put a resource cube on it like the other resource cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes! Good catch. I fixed and uploaded version 1.1 to vassalengine.org. Note that if you download v.1.1, any file from 1.0 will not show this cube. SORRY for any inconvenience! If you're in the middle of a game, just make a note and play on.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the Tokugawa player draws cards to hand using the "draw cards" button, the chat window reports "Ishida card drawn".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Mike. I'll get to that one in the next round. Let me wait a few days to see if anything else turns up.

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Joel, is there any chance that vassal has the ability for you to add a button to the toolbar which expands all of the stacked units on the game map? I find it really hard to differentiate a single block from 3 or 2 from 5. Perhaps it's my 13" laptop monitor, but if there was a toggle which would expand every stack as if I'd double clicked, then I can see things better at a glance and then set them back down with another click.

If that's possible, it would be great! Thanks either way for the module, it's nice to get to start figuring the game out while waiting to get hold of some proper wooden blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Hey Joel, is there any chance that vassal has the ability for you to add a button to the toolbar which expands all of the stacked units on the game map? I find it really hard to differentiate a single block from 3 or 2 from 5. Perhaps it's my 13" laptop monitor, but if there was a toggle which would expand every stack as if I'd double clicked, then I can see things better at a glance and then set them back down with another click.

If that's possible, it would be great! Thanks either way for the module, it's nice to get to start figuring the game out while waiting to get hold of some proper wooden blocks.

Sorry. I know of no way to do that trick!

Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joel,

Another note for the wishlist, if it's at all possible:

Can you provide some way for players to view the hand size of their opponents? The designer has confirmed this is meant to be open information, but I don't see any way to obtain this information at the moment apart from emailing my opponent (which unfortunately makes it pretty obvious what my intent is).

If this is already possible and I missed it somewhere, then my bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This feature IS available and is deceptively easy and low-tech:

Ask your opponent.

This may come across as me being a smart mouth (sorry), but that's the easiest way to procure this info. Now if you're playing by email, just agree to send your hand size with each move as a courtesy.

Beyond that, it CAN be done in VASSAL but it requires a bit of programming. Not sure I want to wade through the programming necessary to implement it when players can very simply ask this info. I mean, if you're playing across the table, you can feel free to ask your opponent. VASSAL spoils us sometimes...

P.S. I plan on releasing ver. 1.2 this weekend. It will fix the reporting bug.

Thanks!

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I just figured asking my opponent (right after he deploys his block) for a card count, is pretty much just be announcing I have a loyalty challenge in hand, which I would prefer to avoid making obvious if I don't intend to use it (based on his card count).

Making it standard procedure to announce hand size each turn or something would be a reasonable solution, albeit easy to forget to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Beyond that, it CAN be done in VASSAL but it requires a bit of programming. Not sure I want to wade through the programming necessary to implement it

This doesn't actually require any programming. I added it to the Maria VASSAL module I've been using in PBEM because "how many cards do you have" was a frequent question, happening nearly every turn:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1533876/vassal/Maria.vmod

It is the "Cards" window that does it: it is a Game Piece inventory window.

Show only pieces matching these properties: inventoryType = Card && CurrentMap != Tactical Card Decks

(So it only gets the card in players' hands)

Label for folders: $PropertyValue$ = $sum_Pieces$

So that you get "Austria: 14"

It's been a little while since I did it but hopefully you can figure it out from my vmod. If you have questions drop me a geekmail or whatever and I'll try to help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nifty trick! Gracias!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 1.2 is now available at VASSALengine.org: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Sekigahara:_Unification_of_Japan

Fixed Reporting bug and added hand-size inventory.

We'll be using this module for tonight's demo.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Version 1.2 is now available at VASSALengine.org: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Sekigahara:_Unification_of_Japan

Fixed Reporting bug and added hand-size inventory.

We'll be using this module for tonight's demo.

-Joel

Awesome stuff, Joel. Thanks for the upgrades. I imagine it goes without saying that a game in progress using the first version of the module can't be loaded into the newest version to resume play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The inventory button MIGHT work on an older save file, but the reporting bug will not register if you load an older file.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy Joel.

It seems like there's been a bug introduced by the new vassal version when used with the Sekigahara module.

After upgrading to vassal 3.1.18, I am no longer able to draw cards into my hand using the "Draw Card" button in the card hand window. The game log indicates that a card was drawn, but no card shows up.

I am still able to drag cards off of the deck into my personal hand, but then the game log reveals the card to my opponent.

I went back to .17 and then the card drawing worked correctly. I also loaded a brand new game in .18 (as opposed to my saved game which was created with a previous version) and was still unable to draw cards, so it seems there's an incompatibility with .18 that will need a module adjustment or something.

For now I'm just keeping .17 on hand to continue my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.