Mahjong» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mahjongg rule question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MJ Hollau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Can you still change your mind about a discarded tile before it is placed on the table (even if you already called it)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
better to post in the game forum:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2093/mahjong

under rules

welcome to the Geek, please make yourself at home and stay awhile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do not know the official ruling, and I doubt that there's any official ruling, since the rules of mah jong are subject to tremendous variation.

However, it makes sense not to allow the change of mind you described. You're supposed to keep your hand concealed, because if you do not, one of your opponents might have use for the extra information in such a way that another one of your opponents suffers. So revealing information about your hand might indirectly and unfairly hurt some of the opponents. And announcing a tile and changing your mind after the announcement reveals information about your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaneHL wrote:
Can you still change your mind about a discarded tile before it is placed on the table (even if you already called it)?

Certainly not! Majiang is a game of hidden information. Revealing hidden information is strictly forbidden. In some variants, you may be able to take it back but pay a penalty.

Frankly, I never heard of calling out the tiles. Just slapping it over did the trick. Majiang is a very fast game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Mahjongg >> Rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JaneHL wrote:

If you're playing a game where you call your tile, then you have played the tile once you have called it. Mahjong is a fast game when played by people who know what they are doing, and alot of times its a calling game. Reversing that move is *just like* placing the tile on the table, releasing it, then saying "oops! I didn't mean that...".

That's a no go.

The reason you call the tile is to expedite the next play and keep the game moving. If you call to do that, the next player may expose or call a tile before you have a chance to rescind your call.

That's a no go as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real reason the players have to call their discards in some games is because, the discards are being placed disorderly in the discard pool in the center of the table. So if the discards are not voiced, a player who misses the moment when the discard is played will not know which tile has been discarded.

I suggest that we leave that outdated method behind, and play by the modern tournament rule of laying one's discards in order in front of oneself in the discard pool. This eliminates the need to voice the discards.

It also greatly improves the quality of the defensive play. Try it and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played that discards are aligned in front of the player discarding the tile in the order they are discarded because, tactically, you want to know what order your opponents discards are.

Not sure what you mean by 'disorderly'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In some rules, the discards are just tossed in the middle in no order whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Disorderly" (along with voicing discards) was the old, original rule. Arranging the discards orderly is a relatively recent variant (and improvement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.