Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just joined this site. Hooray for me. One small step for man, right? Anyway I figure I owe an introduction, for those that are just interested in my question skip it, so here it is. Also a heads up, I really like to say stuff so unless I am replying to a yes/no question my posts are generally short stories. Sorry in advance, though occasionally they may be good reading.

I am no doubt a gamer. Video games in particular, in fact I plan on making them my career. I have logged over 40,000 hours worth of video gaming in my lifetime so far. I am 22 for the record. I won a state tournament held for Soul Caliber 2. I have been the #1 ranked player for a few months on 2 different Armored Core titles. Thing is that I prefer to play video games alone unless I am at an arcade.

Don't get me wrong I do not have exclusively video game experience though. I was really into Go in highschool and had friends in Japan that told me that, at the time, I had skill comparable with an entry level pro. I played Magic the Gathering for about 2 years, but my casual group turned into a competitive one and I did not have the money or drive to follow them. And in college my roommates girlfriend loved for us all to play Life, Monopoly, and Settlers of Catan.

I find myself being more and more social and getting more into boardgames seems like a good way to extend my gaming hobby into my social life. I recently won a small chunk of money from a scratch off lottery ticket (I buy 1 a week for fun. I won 150$ on the one I mentioned) and decided to drop all that cheddar on boardgames/stand alone card games. After a lot of research on here I decided on my interests and wanting to try a number of genres I got Settlers of Catan, Struggle for Catan, Fresno, Dominion, and Munchkin plus the first expansion. They should be at my doorstep when I get home from work today, which I am at now. whistle

My best friend and I plan on playing 2 of them, probably Munchkin and Catan, a lot over the next two days because there is a small anime convention at the local library and we hope to advertise gaming and teach people the basics and hopefully get a group together to game regularly. Wish us luck on this endeavor.

My question is about storing your games. I have these nice plastic bins with wheels on them that roll under my bed that I plan on storing my games in. Is this generally a good idea? How do you store your games? Any suggestions on improving my storage methods? I plan on eventually hand making some boxes for the card games when I get the time and gather some wood. Thanks in advance for your time and advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, welcome to BGG!

I store all my board games in the top shelf of the guest room closet. It's a small space, but then, I only own around 40 games, so the space is just right. Also, from what I know of people around here, most do have special closets or cabinets full with games. I've even seen shelves covering complete walls in rooms, full of games.

I know of the plastic bins you talk about, and I guess they could work. The only problem is that board game boxes come in myriads of different sizes and shapes, so they can be troublesome to store in separate small spaces, even if you do have a ton of total available space.

Finally, and knowing you're mainly a video gamer (up until now, at least), have you checked VideoGameGeek yet? I was mainly a video gamer, and even if now I prefer board games, I still love some veegees once in a while, and the VGG site is also great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mimedestroyer wrote:
My question is about storing your games. I have these nice plastic bins with wheels on them that roll under my bed that I plan on storing my games in. Is this generally a good idea? How do you store your games? Any suggestions on improving my storage methods? I plan on eventually hand making some boxes for the card games when I get the time and gather some wood. Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Ideas for games storage are numerous and I'm sure you'll find lots of ideas here. Storage under the bed would be anathema for me as I like to have the games on show, and easily selectable from the shelf rather than rummaging under the bed, but of course it all depends on your situation.

Those wheeled bins you mention sound OK, and if your collection outgrows them, or you later decide that want to keep the games on shelves, the boxes would still be useful for storage of other (less important things!) under the bed.

Find something that works for you, and above all, enjoy the games - welcome to BGG Austin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

You can find a few nice ideas in this list: Shelf Pr0n Central
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.