Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
***NOTE***

These reviews are meant to be short summaries of my video reviews posted under "The Dice Tower" moniker. Unfortunately, as video reviewers, we are not allowed to obtain the microbadges for submitting X number of reviews (copper/silver/gold). As such, we must post written reviews as well. Enjoy!

***END NOTE***

Game Play

Poseidon is an introductory level 18XX game in which the players represent founders/investors of Greek Nations competing to buy merchants, place trading posts, operate their ships, and earn money for the individual through the proceedings of their individual nations.

Each player begins the game with a set amount of money, and in the first, and only, Poseidon Round will spend some of that cash to determine special abilities and income throughout the game. These abilities may allow you to place a free trading post, to take a free merchant, to sail further, or other one shot abilities. Additionally, if unused, they will provide income to the player at the start of each Exploration Round.

Following the Poseidon Round comes the first Merchant Round, in which players will be able to use their money to found nations, buy merchants from other nations, sell merchants, etc. This is the meat of the game, determining which merchants are the best investment, and how to best spend your money, distribute your investment, and plan for the future rounds. Nations are founded by creating at least 5 merchants, and then buying back over 1/2 of the merchants you create. When you found a nation, you must set the price of the merchants, which will then be purchased from a players personal bank. The nation will gain wealth equal to the set value of all merchants created.

After the Merchant Round, play proceeds to a set of Exploration Rounds, in which players will move discovery ships to place trading posts throughout the map. After placing trading posts, a nation may operate its "fleet", sailing past their placed trading posts and earning income equal to the value of that trading post space. They may also sail past temples, and from their coffers pay a fee, which will add bonus income to the players nation for that turn. After calculating all of the income, that number is multiplied by the number of merchants of a nation that a player owns, and the player, NOT the nation, receives that money. At the end of an Exploration Round, players have the option to buy more ships for their fleet...allowing them to travel further and potentially earn more money per Explore. After each nation has acted, play will proceed to either a new Merchant Round or another Exploration Round.

Game play will proceed in this manner until the last Exploration Round ends. At the end of the game, the winner is calculated by totaling the value of all owned merchants, and all earned money throughout the game. The player with the most cash wins!

Thoughts
Poseidon is a really great game if you are looking to learn the basics of 18XX. It incorporates route building with stock management and risk assessment to create a nice, introductory feeling while giving a level of depth that will please avid gamers. The components are well made, the rules are relatively easy to understand, and the experience is wonderful.

For more on Poseidon, please see my video review at the following link:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/9732/poseidon/dice-tower-revi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really weak review FWIW. Of course as you are just gaming the system to get microbadges, whatever. Perhaps you should see if there's a way to get some kind of video microbadge made available to video reviewers? I can see the obvious issue with their setting this up, but this "short summary of my video review" is not a good trend to encourage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
This is a really weak review FWIW. Of course as you are just gaming the system to get microbadges, whatever. Perhaps you should see if there's a way to get some kind of video microbadge made available to video reviewers? I can see the obvious issue with their setting this up, but this "short summary of my video review" is not a good trend to encourage.

It was encouraged by Octavian because I've already TRIED to get a microbadge for reviews. He specifically told me that I should submit short summaries of my video reviews. I'll gladly stop, but the disparity between the treatment of written and video reviewers needs to go too. Do you really think I want to have to write a review for reviews that I've already done? For a quick summary of WHY I was told to do what I'm doing, please see the following link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/691382/wouldnt-it-be-nic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, peruse half of the recent reviews that have been accepted by the mods for games such Blood Bowl and Rune Age and this review suddenly looks monumental and epic in comparison. Besides, there is a link to the video review for more detail. In fact this might be a great trend for the video reviews to release a condensed written analysis/overview of the video...just my two cents though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
Seriously, peruse half of the recent reviews that have been accepted by the mods for games such Blood Bowl and Rune Age and this review suddenly looks monumental and epic in comparison. Besides, there is a link to the video review for more detail. In fact this might be a great trend for the video reviews to release a condensed written analysis/overview of the video...just my two cents though.

While I don't disagree that the review lacks some of the...zing...of my earlier written reviews (before the days of my video reviews), I do think that it covers its bases AND points towards the video review if you want more. However...I'd much rather just NOT write them and get credit for what I do in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

It was encouraged by Octavian because I've already TRIED to get a microbadge for reviews. He specifically told me that I should submit short summaries of my video reviews. I'll gladly stop, but the disparity between the treatment of written and video reviewers needs to go too. Do you really think I want to have to write a review for reviews that I've already done? For a quick summary of WHY I was told to do what I'm doing, please see the following link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/691382/wouldnt-it-be-nic...

Well, if Octavian has spoken, then so be it. But it would seem that we will end up with a lot of "bad" reviews, from people that need their microbadges. But, quantity over quality!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
johnnyspys wrote:

While I don't disagree that the review lacks some of the...zing...of my earlier written reviews (before the days of my video reviews), I do think that it covers its bases AND points towards the video review if you want more. However...I'd much rather just NOT write them and get credit for what I do in the first place.

No, it tells you nothing about the gameplay. It's a "summary of play", that would lead off a rules set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed this Ryan. If others don't, I'm pretty sure they could stop reading and switch to another page.

And by reading your first paragraph, it would give them a real solid clue as to the purpose of your review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine's in the mail! Should arrive today, I hope!

This review got me even more excited about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I enjoyed this Ryan. If others don't, I'm pretty sure they could stop reading and switch to another page.

And by reading your first paragraph, it would give them a real solid clue as to the purpose of your review

Yes, but the purpose of this review is bogus.

I am not a Dice Tower fan, and I don't watch video reviews. I know there are many who are/do. So I haven't watched any of these. I am sure that Ryan's video review is far more in depth, and might actually qualify as a review. I bet that if I created a sockpuppet account, didn't put in the line about "the purpose of this is the microbadge" and submitted it, it would get rejected as a "review", (or maybe not, most of the reviews I've been reading have been all flashy and graphicy and the like, so I don't know where the overall level of GeekMod ferocity is at these days).

There needs to be a separate category or something for "video reviews" that gets translated over or something or a new badge created or whatever, is all I'm really saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

I am not a Dice Tower fan, and I don't watch video reviews. I know there are many who are/do. So I haven't watched any of these. I am sure that Ryan's video review is far more in depth, and might actually qualify as a review. I bet that if I created a sockpuppet account, didn't put in the line about "the purpose of this is the microbadge" and submitted it, it would get rejected as a "review", (or maybe not, most of the reviews I've been reading have been all flashy and graphicy and the like, so I don't know where the overall level of GeekMod ferocity is at these days).

There needs to be a separate category or something for "video reviews" that gets translated over or something or a new badge created or whatever, is all I'm really saying.

Did you even bother to read the thread I linked to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
Windopaene wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

I did. I'm on your team, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
slaqr wrote:
Windopaene wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

I did. I'm on your team, really.

Ahh, it didn't sound like you were I'm not arguing that this is somewhat of a "lame" review...I'd gladly delete it, but it is garnering some of the type of attention I'd like it to. There is an inequity for video reviewers that needs rectified...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this a few times two player and once four player. The lack of share purchase flexibility, like the threat of dumping, made for a fairly rote method of playing. It seemed the game played itself. There is some blockage early in the game, but after that, few interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I really like this review. Not because it contains any particular depth, but rather because it didn't. Frankly, in depth reviews are time consuming, no less controversial, and not authoritative in any way. I find it's better to review by committee.

I'd rather read 10 small to the point reviews, and compare their core points, than read 1 (or 2) long reviews.

Also, if it's a game I'm only mildly curious about, I like the access to a condensed breakdown to see if it passes the first litmus test. I don't need a huge breakdown to understand the basic mechanics and get a feel for it.

If I read 10, and 8 of them mention the same thing, there must be something to it. If 1 guys says it, well, maybe it's a legitimate benefit or concern, but maybe not. Who knows.

I understand the whole "he's only doing it for a microbadge complaint, but frankly I think it's petty and couldn't care less. It's a few pixels on a website people.

EDIT:

And to provide a bit of concrete backing to my point...

In fact I AM looking to learn the basics of 18xx!!! Thanks! I'm going to research this more now! If a couple of other reviews say the same thing, I'll probably buy it. As the theme will keep it from turing off my decidedly lighter oriented group.

EDITx2:

So based on this review, I took the time to read the other 2 reviews. This is now a must buy/trade for me. Maybe it's not the greatest 18xx game out there, but I want an intro, and I love the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.