Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Eaten By Zombies came today, but what to do. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
The ultimate in Co-op Gaming.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thrilled that in todays mail Was my early copy of Eaten by Zombies Signed by Max (thanks Max) and numbered 47. It also came with the promo cards and a few packs of sleeves.
Now heres the problem...not with the game but with the fact that as much as I want to play I don't want to open it, I want to keep it perfect.
Yes I could always by another one but I dont have the patience to wait a couple months.
What do you guys think?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSaint08D wrote:
I was thrilled that in todays mail Was my early copy of Eaten by Zombies Signed by Max (thanks Max) and numbered 47. It also came with the promo cards and a few packs of sleeves.
Now heres the problem...not with the game but with the fact that as much as I want to play I don't want to open it, I want to keep it perfect.
Yes I could always by another one but I dont have the patience to wait a couple months.
What do you guys think?


Open it and play it...its a game...
25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Harris
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to collect video games and would have similar dilemas from time to time. When I realized I spent more time collecting and cleaning the games than playing them, I sold the entire collection.

What do you value more, the experience or the object?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you happen to horde rings and call them "my precious".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
The ultimate in Co-op Gaming.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
Do you happen to horde rings and call them "my precious".


Mayyyybe

Its just sooo Nice I feel like Im damaging art
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSaint08D wrote:
johnnyspys wrote:
Do you happen to horde rings and call them "my precious".


Mayyyybe

Its just sooo Nice I feel like Im damaging art


Then why open any of your games?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSaint08D wrote:
johnnyspys wrote:
Do you happen to horde rings and call them "my precious".


Mayyyybe

Its just sooo Nice I feel like Im damaging art


Having seen the quality of art in this game, I have to question your sanity...

ninja
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
The ultimate in Co-op Gaming.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
TheSaint08D wrote:
johnnyspys wrote:
Do you happen to horde rings and call them "my precious".


Mayyyybe

Its just sooo Nice I feel like Im damaging art


Then why open any of your games?


Hey Ryan
Well I try and put it in words
Im new to the hobby and still trying to catch up, hell Ive still never played Puerto Rico
But in this case a numbered, autographed, (early edition) feels a little special special.
Maybe If I had been getting games for years and was used to it it wouldnt be any big deal but for me this is the first "special thing" ive gotten from the hobby.
It may seem weird to you but to me its kind of a win for someone who doesnt get to go to conventions or early copies etc.
But if you guys all think that its not a big deal its probably just my Nebie excitement and I wont worry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
The ultimate in Co-op Gaming.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
TheSaint08D wrote:
johnnyspys wrote:
Do you happen to horde rings and call them "my precious".


Mayyyybe

Its just sooo Nice I feel like Im damaging art


Having seen the quality of art in this game, I have to question your sanity...

ninja


I like the art for this game, its one of the reasons I wanted it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSaint08D wrote:
I like the art for this game, its one of the reasons I wanted it.


I never said you didn't like the art. Just the fact that you do made me question your sanity... Though you could be perfectly sane, and just have poor taste...

On second thought, a Steelers/Whedon fan? Definitely poor taste...

ninja
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSaint08D wrote:
slaqr wrote:
TheSaint08D wrote:
johnnyspys wrote:
Do you happen to horde rings and call them "my precious".


Mayyyybe

Its just sooo Nice I feel like Im damaging art


Then why open any of your games?


Hey Ryan
Well I try and put it in words
Im new to the hobby and still trying to catch up, hell Ive still never played Puerto Rico
But in this case a numbered, autographed, (early edition) feels a little special special.
Maybe If I had been getting games for years and was used to it it wouldnt be any big deal but for me this is the first "special thing" ive gotten from the hobby.
It may seem weird to you but to me its kind of a win for someone who doesnt get to go to conventions or early copies etc.
But if you guys all think that its not a big deal its probably just my Nebie excitement and I wont worry.


I'm fairly new to the hobby too, but I quite enjoy buying old, unpunched games from collectors on ebay and just punching and playing them. The evil part of me wants to email them videos of me cackling whilst I punch their carefully stored counter sheets. devil

That does sound like a nice little edition though.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
The ultimate in Co-op Gaming.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
TheSaint08D wrote:
I like the art for this game, its one of the reasons I wanted it.


I never said you didn't like the art. Just the fact that you do made me question your sanity... Though you could be perfectly sane, and just have poor taste...

On second thought, a Steelers/Whedon fan? Definitely poor taste...

ninja


Well Id like to say its been nice talking to you...

Thanks for your kind words. Me and My bad taste in a team with 6 super bowl trophies, 8 appearances, 20 Division titles and 20 hall of famers
As well as my bad taste in TV since we all know how hated Buffy and Firefly and Doctor Horrible are...thanks for being so polite and giving me your much requested opinion on things that had nothing to with the subject matter.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's something that you feel is special to you, then I would put it away in a box or give it to someone else to hold for a few months, and you can buy a copy then.

If you think of having a time travel visit from you 6 months in the future, what what you 6 months in the future say to you now?

To avoid this quandary in the future, buy two copies, and then you have one to keep and one to play.

Given how many games there are out there to play, there's certainly enough to keep you busy if you want to keep this one new.


Another strategy - find someone else who is opening his copy and try it!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSaint08D wrote:
Well Id like to say its been nice talking to you...

Thanks for your kind words. Me and My bad taste in a team with 6 super bowl trophies, 8 appearances, 20 Division titles and 20 hall of famers
As well as my bad taste in TV since we all know how hated Buffy and Firefly and Doctor Horrible are...thanks for being so polite and giving me your much requested opinion on things that had nothing to with the subject matter.


Hey, no problem. Glad I could help.

ninja
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it. Open it up and play it, or this guy will come eat you.zombie
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Thornton
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
TheSaint08D wrote:
Well Id like to say its been nice talking to you...

Thanks for your kind words. Me and My bad taste in a team with 6 super bowl trophies, 8 appearances, 20 Division titles and 20 hall of famers
As well as my bad taste in TV since we all know how hated Buffy and Firefly and Doctor Horrible are...thanks for being so polite and giving me your much requested opinion on things that had nothing to with the subject matter.


Hey, no problem. Glad I could help.

ninja


I wouldn't read too much into it... as a transplanted Pittsburgher living in Lexington now I get my fair share of grief from all of the Bungal fans around (not saying CovertDad roots for Cincy, however).

During last years Super Bowl I was catching it left and right until someone stopped and asked me "so seriously, what is it like to watch your team in the Super Bowl?" Even with the loss it felt like a win, no one in that room could say they'd watched their team play in the Super Bowl four times and win it twice.



More on topic - I say if you have other games in your collection that are waiting to get punched/played crack those out first.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thornatron wrote:
I wouldn't read too much into it... as a transplanted Pittsburgher living in Lexington now I get my fair share of grief from all of the Bungal fans around (not saying CovertDad roots for Cincy, however).


Good god, no. The only Bungles games I've been to are to root on my beloved Redskins and when my buddy needed a designated driver when his beloved Saints played them.

But I get why people like the Steelers... They're the AFC version of the Cowboys... Both of which are the Jersey Shore of their respective conferences.

ninja
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSaint08D wrote:
I was thrilled that in todays mail Was my early copy of Eaten by Zombies Signed by Max (thanks Max) and numbered 47. It also came with the promo cards and a few packs of sleeves.
Now heres the problem...not with the game but with the fact that as much as I want to play I don't want to open it, I want to keep it perfect.
Yes I could always by another one but I dont have the patience to wait a couple months.
What do you guys think?


I used to collect knives and a fellow collector and I were talking about knives and a particular bowie knife he had purchased. "What does it cut like?" "!!!Its too expensive to risk damaghing it!!"

It sat on his mantel in a custon stand and never once was used. The thing is it ceased to be a knife and it became a piece of art. I collected knives and I would carry them use them but not abuse them. I even *GASP* sharpened them.

If you bought a game then play it. If you bought it as an investment then put the investment away and go buy a game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
The ultimate in Co-op Gaming.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tha nks Guys Like I said I was just excited about having something so nice and uncommon so I wasn't sure what the thought was for something like this. Like I said I'm new to the community and still learning the standards and common ideas.
Such an awesome little thing to have though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Diaz
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a game. It's meant to be played. Would you order a 50 dollar steak from Smith & Wollensky, cooked perfectly, and served up to you only to stare at it in wonder because it looks too good to eat? No way. Eat that delicious steak, man! At once!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
The ultimate in Co-op Gaming.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lrdjr wrote:
It's a game. It's meant to be played. Would you order a 50 dollar steak from Smith & Wollensky, cooked perfectly, and served up to you only to stare at it in wonder because it looks too good to eat? No way. Eat that delicious steak, man! At once!!!


I got the message
Now I want steak though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ramey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally understand your quandary. If you want my two cents, I'd say you can have it both ways; Open it and enjoy this (sure to be) awesome game, but sleeve it and take care of it. You'd be amazed what sleeving cards will do for their health.

I'd think about it from the designer's perspective as well. If you were a designer, what would you rather your customer do? Play it, or collect it and not play it? I know I'd prefer people play my game, even if they thought it sucked.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say open it and take the cards out, and keep the box put away somewhere. Then you can play the game all you like and if worst comes to worst on the cards you can order another one and swap out the cards into your new box.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just paly the game. It's not like it's War of the Ring Collector's Edition!sauron


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a a quick comment on the whole, "I don't want to ruin a piece of art" idea.

You are ruining it... by not playing it. Art is not necessarily something you just stare at. I would go so far as to say that the more you interact with something, the more artistic it is. Something along that line...

Just be gentle with it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.