Subject: The Battle of Antioch - seeking doctrine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

as a newcomer to INFIDEL, I would like to share some ideas how to operate on the battlefield during that high tide of mounted combat, of heavy armed knights fighting much more agile but also much more vulnerable light cavalry.

The idea: Work through a game of the Battle of Antioch.
Presenting my activities on the game board might trigger some reaction from you guys, the fans of this game.

Here is the situation at start of the battle - the Crusaders go first.

A closer look at the first "division's" deployment outside the walls of Antioch.
Note: I use the Standard counter to indicate that all hexes of Antioch serve as the rally point for "retired" Crusader units.

Is there any interest to see what I commanded the Crusaders to do opening the battle?

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd be very interested in this. I've played that scenario a couple of times, and enjoyed it, but I'm sure I didn't play it well.

How are you going to present it that is different from a session report?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Davis
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been able to play this yet, so when you find out, could you let me know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

here we go.
The battle of Antioch is about to begin.

Hugh has left Antioch and has a plan ...
"I will attack those Turks and push them back across the creek to the east."

The idea ...
The 4 units of the first line are to be assaulted, supported by archers on the right flank. The main thrust (Schwerpunkt) will be executed by Hugh's knights, hopefully crushing into the right flank of the Turks and driving them back (consecutive attacks ...).

This light cavalry will rarely get the initiative, as Free Activations must be used to bring in reinforcements (until at least 4 groups are present). Once on the other side of the creek they might also hamper movements of the other Turks' units. And eliminating such a unit results in 2 Flight Points.

Hugh orders his units forward.
Note the disordered units.

The Crusaders ready themselves, raise their standards and start their assaults (charge on the left flank, shock assault in the center).

The knights gallop forward, lances lowered to strike into the ranks of the Turkish cavalry.

That's enough for the mounted archers. Two units retreat (no problem against infantry, the check against the knights results in "disorder").
The knights instantly advance.

This ends "segment" 001.
The Crusaders try continuation with Godfrey.
It works. His division exits Antioch and move into first positions.

The situation at the end of segment 002.
Another activation of a Crusader division would suffer a +1.

I still think trying to get another activation - Hugh again - is worth it.
Here is the plan.
The infantry tries again to push the light cavalry back whilst the knights continue their crushing flank attack.

What do you think?

Or did I miss something during segments 001 and 002?

Any other questions?

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a few weeks since I played this. But from memory I think the big questions I had were:

i) how are the Crusaders going to avoid being flanked by the Turk army? Are you going to release the crusaders forces as quickly as possible and then try and line them up across the map? If so, are you getting side tracked by pursuing a few archers (that second activation could have failed).

ii) There's one group of Turks who appear at E, that can be a real pain. How are you going to deal with them?

Sorry to have questions rather than advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replay.

At the moment, Godfrey's units block the one and only road allowing to enter the battlefield. Godfrey cannot be activatated again unless ...

So I put pressure on the Turks to try "Seizure".
If the new activation does not work, alas, but okay.
If it works, the light cavalry might end up in real trouble.

I am aware of the two entry areas for the Turks. But wherever they show up, they need time to develop and prepare whatever offensive action they have in mind.

I think, games like Infidel are not decided within the first three turns (here: segments).

As a newcomer to this game, I am always looking for other "brains" to help avoiding blunders (regarding the rules, the game mechanics as well as actual operations, here: on the battlefield).

Thanks again for questions and remarks. They always help.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.