Figo 3434
msg tools
Can you ready Beravor with unexpected courage after she commited to a quest, but before the encounter cards are drawn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
The J wrote:
Yes, there is an opportunity to perform actions between committing to a quest and drawing encounter cards. That is also the period you ready Aragorn.

Well, if you are readying Aragorn using his ability, that is a response, so must be done immediately that the condition applies. If you leave it until every other character is committed, then you are technically too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
The J wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
The J wrote:
Yes, there is an opportunity to perform actions between committing to a quest and drawing encounter cards. That is also the period you ready Aragorn.

Well, if you are readying Aragorn using his ability, that is a response, so must be done immediately that the condition applies. If you leave it until every other character is committed, then you are technically too late.

While I see your point, from my point of view all characters are committed simultaneously. Therefore after all are committed is exactly the same moment as Aragorn is committed.

Not that it is important either way, as their still is (as the OP asked) actions available during/following quest commitment. So it all works out whether Aragorn's was a response or action.

Unless I am missing something, which I accept as a possibility.
No, you are not missing something. It was a very rule-lawyerly response by me, and, of course, it does not really matter. But it might one day, so it seems to be worth underlying that you are supposed to ready Aragorn immediately, if you intend to do so. Certainly it would be naughty to wait until other players had finished committing to the quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keldon Jones
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The J wrote:
While I see your point, from my point of view all characters are committed simultaneously. Therefore after all are committed is exactly the same moment as Aragorn is committed.

Actually all of player 1's characters are committed, then responses to player 1's commits happen. Following that, player 2 commits characters and then does responses, and so on. This has some implications for Theodred. If he's controlled by the first player, Theodred can only give a resource to one of player 1's heroes. If he is controlled by the second player, he can give a resource to a committed hero of either player 1 or player 2, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Piercey
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
You cannot do as the OP asked. Look at the last two pages of the rule book, you can only use Actions during the indented Player Action step.

This is the flow for the Quest Phase:

1. Players commit characters to quest.
2. Encounter deck reveals 1 card per player.
3. Player Actions.
4. Resolve questing.
4. Player Actions.

Since Unexpected Courage is an action you can only use it after the Encounter cards are revealed, or after resolving the quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPiercey wrote:
You cannot do as the OP asked. Look at the last two pages of the rule book, you can only use Actions during the indented Player Action step.

3. Player Actions.
4. Resolve questing.
4. Player Actions.

Since Unexpected Courage is an action you can only use it after the Encounter cards are revealed, or after resolving the quest.

However, the very bottom of page 14 of the rulebook states,
Quote:
"Characters committed to a quest are considered committed to that quest through the end of the quest phase, unless removed from the quest by a card effect. They do remain exhausted once this step is complete."

Don't forget that "1. Players commit characters to quest" is in green which means that anytime in this part of the Quest Phase "Any player can take actions generally, or between the game steps stated in the rules". Therefore, you could ready Beravor immediately after committing her to quest and she is still "considered committed to that quest".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo IronRush
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SPiercey wrote:

3. Player Actions.
4. Resolve questing.
4. Player Actions.

I think not Piercey...
Flow of the quest phase...
"Players commit characters to quest" is written in green text. It means you can use any actions or abilities, before or immediately after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPiercey wrote:

3. Player Actions.
4. Resolve questing.
4. Player Actions.

Step 1 is green on the page that you referenced, which means that you can play actions during that step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Phil
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
SPiercey wrote:

3. Player Actions.
4. Resolve questing.
4. Player Actions.

I don't have the rule book in front of me so I can't check but I do know that the guide on the last two pages doesn't show when actions can be completed correctly. You are best checking the actual detailed rules.

For example on the last pages for combat is says player actions, then shadow cards, then enemy attacks, then player defends, then player actions. But if you check the combat rules player actions can be played in-between each of the steps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.