United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I got a copy of Catacombs in trade recently, and thought it was a really neat game. Already, from the first game, I wanted to do a redesign of the artwork, for two reasons. First of all, whoever tore open the shrink on this copy didn't pay close attention when they were stickering the discs, and some of the stickers are on the wrong discs. Secondly, the original artwork looks like the stuff my nerdy high school friend would meticulously scribble in the back of a notebook. Which I think can be awesome in a nostalgic, campy kind of way. But, pencil drawings that are shrunk down to less than an inch on a white background, are awfully hard to distinguish.

So I spent an evening sketching. (one of the pages below)

...and then did the quickest, dirtiest pen tool job in Illustrator I've ever done. (some of the finished artwork below)

Overall, I think the artwork looks pretty good if you are planning on a session of Catacombs with your kids. Or if you're a child at heart, maybe. Or if you act like a child most of the time, (yours truly). I've uploaded the files and they will hopefully be approved soon. Thanks and have a great day.

*You can now download the stickers here.*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Those skeletons and orcs look hilarious. I don't know if you've played DeathSpank but this reminds me of it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwanchai Moriya
United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
never played it before, but i like the style!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it does remind me too of DeathSpank! The third one just came out on Steam recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This artwork matches the flair of the game perfectly. It's a flicking game for godsakes not an old 80's D&D source book.

It's like in Forgetting Sara Marshall where the dude realizes his musical is actually a comedy. This is perfect! Fantastic work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwanchai Moriya
United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhoubhe wrote:
This artwork matches the flair of the game perfectly. It's a flicking game for godsakes not an old 80's D&D source book.

It's like in Forgetting Sara Marshall where the dude realizes his musical is actually a comedy. This is perfect! Fantastic work!

thats how i feel exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
THIS is what I've been looking for. I've played through about a half dozen times but have been reluctant to use the stock stickers for the same non-appeal you mention.

I only have two questions: how did you approach the art for the "flipped" sides of the monsters/heroes?

and

Will you please do the expansion?? Pretty please? ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwanchai Moriya
United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The art on the other sides is the same except with a dark gray background. The expansion isn't out yet right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
kwanchai wrote:
The art on the other sides is the same except with a dark gray background. The expansion isn't out yet right?

Ah, interesting, depending on the look, I might make them b/w for the flipsides but that is just a preference.

Regarding the expansion: it IS out Not all the stores have received copies yet but it should be available now or very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwanchai Moriya
United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I got it laser-printed onto Avery full-sheet adhesive labels and cut it out with an Olfa circle cutter. The whole thing looks even nicer on the discs! I stuck the Crypt Spider onto the wrong disc though, woops. The colors printed a little bit light, but its alright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I you going to put some kind of seal on them? I worry that the art will get damaged from all the flicking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwanchai Moriya
United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I you going to put some kind of seal on them? I worry that the art will get damaged from all the flicking.

If I was going to print it off my inkjet here at home, I would. But I've found laser prints to be pretty tough, kind of water-resistant and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love your design very much
they are so cute and adorable.

i hope there are redesign of the cards and character sheets as well

also do the sticker label affects the smoothness of your flick?? I'm also a bit worried about the wearing.

Great job anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Great as always, Kwanchai. Thank you for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Great.....NOW I want a copy of Catacombs. Thanks a lot, like I can afford all the games I want as it is without you coming along with your incredible redesign making me want another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thoia wrote:
Great.....NOW I want a copy of Catacombs. Thanks a lot, like I can afford all the games I want as it is without you coming along with your incredible redesign making me want another one.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I like the look of the stickers, but I don't want mismatched components. And I find the original "high school notebook" art style kind of charming in its way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Manatee
msg tools
Wow. It's simple but absolutely awesome. Now if only they'd hire you and put out a third edition with all the art redone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pflugh
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Game on
badge
Game Time
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW.. Super cool! I just bought the game and did not put on the stickers yet! Are you doing the expansion??? If so, I am using these stickers, as stated above, I just do not want two different kinds of stickers. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwanchai Moriya
United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitsbrgparatrpr wrote:
WOW.. Super cool! I just bought the game and did not put on the stickers yet! Are you doing the expansion??? If so, I am using these stickers, as stated above, I just do not want two different kinds of stickers. Thanks!

Whenever I get my hands on the expansion, I'm sure I'll do a redesign of them, to match my own set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwanchai Moriya
United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Now we just need a redesign of the character cards and the other cards in the game and it will finally stop looking... amateurish.

I actually already did some player mats and stuff. Not sure if I'm going to upload to BGG or not, as I don't want to step on any toes, especially for a game that's not out-of-print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
kwanchai wrote:
LordHellfury wrote:
Now we just need a redesign of the character cards and the other cards in the game and it will finally stop looking... amateurish.

I actually already did some player mats and stuff. Not sure if I'm going to upload to BGG or not, as I don't want to step on any toes, especially for a game that's not out-of-print.

Maybe you could supply the templates of the player mats without text? Same with the Catacomb Lords (assuming you're doing that too). They look great, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pflugh
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Game on
badge
Game Time
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW again..... I'd love those character Sheets!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Manatee
msg tools
You step on those toes and you step now. This is too awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.