United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
So... is anyone from RSP participating in this? I will be there.

https://occupywallst.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Site appears to be down. I don't go for many conspiracy theories, but...

I think there is some use for a financial industry, helping people with ideas get money from people that have some to invest. But I have no idea why we need one as big as it is. And its main function seems to be to skim off as much for itself as possible.

What did Matt Taibi call Goldman Sachs? "a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."

I hadn't heard of this protest before. I'd like to read some more about it when possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
I would, but my college days are over. So while they are out there swinging around signs, kicking a hakey sack, playing in drum circles, and bitching about how they were financially irresponsible enough to take home mortgages, credit cards, and student loans they couldn't afford in the first place and how that was wall streets fault, I'll be working my 9-5 to keep my kids fed, and my bills paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I would, but my college days are over. So while they are out there swinging around signs, kicking a hakey sack, playing in drum circles, and bitching about how they were financially irresponsible enough to take home mortgages, credit cards, and student loans they couldn't afford in the first place and how that was wall streets fault, I'll be working my 9-5 to keep my kids fed, and my bills paid.

Wow. I'm pretty sure I've heard this about a thousand times on Fox News. Yeah, it was all those folks doing what everyone in our society said they should, own their own home, who caused this mess. Wall Street is just an innocent victim here. Please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
That poor woman on top of that bull looks chilly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
tstone wrote:
That poor woman on top of that bull looks chilly.

And hungry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Olek, a New York based guerrilla artist sends her warmest wishes. 'This crocheted cover represents my best wishes to all of us. It will be a great, prosperous year with many wonderful surprises!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I guess September is the month for mass activism. 350.org has been promoting this for months now:

Moving Planet is a worldwide rally to demand solutions to the climate crisis. Come on bike, on skates, on a board, or just on foot.
http://www.moving-planet.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Wow. I'm pretty sure I've heard this about a thousand times on Fox News. Yeah, it was all those folks doing what everyone in our society said they should, own their own home, who caused this mess. Wall Street is just an innocent victim here. Please.

Why are YOU watching FOX news? For someone who claims to watch quality television, this is suspect. Stop watching FOX news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Kafka wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Why are YOU watching FOX news? For someone who claims to watch quality television, this is suspect. Stop watching FOX news.

Eyes on the lunatic fringe Joe, eyes on the fringe. Someone has to keep an aye on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The blind watching the blind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Funny how I don't fit any of those stereotypes yet I have four kids, make good money, pay my bills, work 40+ hrs and have zero debt. I am going because I have kids... tax dollars to bailouts, corporate welfare, military industrial, incredible waste, farming jobs to slave labor overseas, unemployment, over the top consumerism, CEO salaries and the corporate control of government all needs to be reigned in severely for us not to implode when my kids inherit the bullshit we created. If you are ok with all this then you are part of the problem. Sure, you don't need to participate... but to diminish this to some sort of hippie culture is absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobby_5150 wrote:
The blind watching the blind.

Oh, the irony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Funny how I don't fit any of those stereotypes yet I have four kids, make good money, pay my bills, work 40+ hrs and have zero debt. I am going because I have kids... tax dollars to bailouts, corporate welfare, military industrial, incredible waste, farming jobs to slave labor overseas, unemployment, over the top consumerism, CEO salaries and the corporate control of government all needs to be reigned in severely for us not to implode when my kids inherit the bullshit we created. If you are ok with all this then you are part of the problem. Sure, you don't need to participate... but to diminish this to some sort of hippie culture is absurd.

I too guess I guess I will have to stop doing contract work, you know, hard real work. Mans work (a little tongue in cheek here), because apparently I don't fit the my liberal stereotype properly. You can't do 9-5 (which I don't I work more than that, I would love a regular 9-5 schedule vs a 6-6 I work or worse!) and be a liberal. Geez, what to do, what to do... you know what, I think I'll stick to my work, and still say that you can move beyond stereotyping and take a look around you at a world in pain. You can give a rats ass about society and care what happens because its not rugged individuality that got us here, its working together. Heck anyone who has served (Cough) knows that there is no I in team (haha). It's the power we have working for the common good that makes us strong, but some people in our society, rather greedily say 'no'. They claim to be for all togetherness when it helps them, when they don't have to make the sacrifice. Sure its welfare when we help the poor, but when we give money to corporations, its just incentives.

Sad really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MWChapel wrote:

Last may, there were similar massive camps throughout Spain, in what has been called the '15-M' movement. While I didn't take part (I did't agree with them on some fundamental points), people I kew did. Many people kept working full-time while sleeping there, and there were more graduates and post-graduates (work-oriented professions, not just art and philosophy majors) that can't find a job because of the failed Spanish labour market than students or chronically lazy debasers. They also pay their bills and feed their kids, and a good chunk were part of the "usual suspects" that contribute their free time and effort to local initiatives.

But don't let that make you less superior or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
joebelanger wrote:
Kafka wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Eyes on the lunatic fringe Joe, eyes on the fringe. Someone has to keep an aye on them.

You know what Nietzsche said about that. Be careful. For your sake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:

I think this fringe is pretty lunatic:

DidyaseewhatIdidthere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
masaakunokouchi wrote:
Sad really.

Yup. The idea of the nuclear family and the desire to live in ones little box and collect as much toys as possible defines our narcissistic culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
masaakunokouchi wrote:
Sad really.

Yup. The idea of the nuclear family and the desire to live in ones little box and collect as much toys as possible defines our narcissistic culture.

You have problem with Wall Street ?

Easy to solve - do not give them your money.

Thankfully these days there is lots of ways to invest directly with only very minimal transactional fees.

Get your mortgage from a Credit Union (or Building Society or whatever is the US equivalent).

Make sure your pension is also not in a managed fund.

When investing make sure you only do so in a company with a governance structure you agree with.

[Incidentally - I, great defender of Capitalism follow all of the above, I would not give a dime to a mutual fund if they had a knife to my throat.]

Following those simple steps will do *much* more against the "evils of finance" then a bunch of hippies and hippie wannabes pitching their tents on Wall Street.

Now you may also have issues with your government and privileges it gives to the financial sector but protesting that in Washington Mall makes a tad more sense then doing so in Wall Street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I do many of the things you recommend, but the people running monetary policy for the government are from Wall Street. It seems like there is extortion going on where they demand to run it their way or they'll blow the whole thing up. Hell, they pretty much blew the thing up just to make a few extra billion. It seems to me that the focus is on the right place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bramadan wrote:
You have problem with Wall Street ?

Easy to solve - do not give them your money.

Following those simple steps...

Yup. My bank is my credit union at work and I buy almost everything I need post-consumer. All my furniture, clothing, appliances, etc... all second hand, thrift, dumpster dive, tag sale, freecycle etc. I just bought a mattress for $120.. which was the most expensive piece of furniture in my house after the $10 I paid for the dining table that I had to refinish to get into shape. When I need things like tools or materials it is the local hardware store and not Home Depot... farmers market, CSA, ethnic market for most foodstuffs... when I need a computer part I go to craigslist or local shops... there are exceptions like underwear, soap, TP, medical supplies, fuel, internet (no cable) and other communications. Even with games I bought one this year... I mostly trade and buy used market (but with books, games and indie music it is good to support and try to keep commerce in the local market). I do my best. Household income is near $100k and we (wife and four kids) live like we are poor... I donate a lot of my money and spend a lot supporting arts, my own creations, activism, feeding people, taking care of my friends and neighbors. But certainly, I do vote with my money against the corporate rule. I don't need your "simple steps". I live them.

bramadan wrote:
Now you may also have issues with your government and privileges it gives to the financial sector but protesting that in Washington Mall makes a tad more sense then doing so in Wall Street.

I will do both and more. I was in DC once this year, Boston twice, at rallies for workers locally, protests at BoA and with "No One Leaves" occupying a house with 100 or so people so that the bank would not evict an elderly woman. As far as Occupy Wall Street... yes, it is government and privileges it gives to the financial sector that brings me here... I don't see your argument that one location is better than the other when this event will raise awareness and be an act of civil disobedience at the heart of the problem. Government gives privileges to the financial sector because government is owned by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slavoj Zizek, from First As Tragedy, Then As Farce: wrote:
When we were fighting AIDS, hunger, water shortages, global warming, and so on, there always seemed to be time to reflect, to postpone decisions (recall how the main conclusion of the last meeting of world leaders in Bali, hailed as a success, was that they would meet again in two years to continue their talks ...). But with the financial meltdown, the urgency to act was unconditional; sums of an unimaginable magnitude had to be found immediately. Saving endangered species, saving the planet from global warming, saving AIDS patients and those dying for lack of funds for expensive treatments, saving the starving children ... all this can wait a little bit. The call to save the banks! by contrast, is an unconditional imperative that must be met with immediate action. The panic was so absolute that a transnational and non-partisan unity was immediately established, all grudges between world leaders being momentarily forgotten in order to avert the catastrophe. But what the much praised bi-partisan approach effectively meant was that even democratic procedures were de facto suspended: there was no time to engage in proper debate, and those who opposed the plan in the US Congress were quickly made to fall in with the majority. Bush, McCain and Obama all quickly got together, explaining to confused congressmen and women that there was simply no time for discussion we were in a state of emergency, and things simply had to be done fast ... And let us also not forget that the sublimely enormous sums of money were spent not on some clear real or concrete problem, but essentially in order to restore confidence in the markets, that is, simply to change people’s beliefs!

Do we need any further proof that Capital is the Real of our lives, a Real whose imperatives are much more absolute than even the most pressing demands of our social and natural reality?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

The next time you want to bitch about how government policies or industrial neglect have made your life worse, you might want to remember this bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
The next time you want to bitch about how government policies or industrial neglect have made your life worse, you might want to remember this bit.

Yeah... and don't bother posting in RSP when you should be tending to the farm. Your kids must be starving!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
United States
Johnson City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"I am someone with thousands in medical bills and no insurance."

"I am the 99 percent."

Hey!

that's me!

awwwww

I made myself sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.