Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Episode 1

When the tenth Doctor brought Donna to Hollywood in 1932 they had a great time touring around Beverly Hills and then getting a taxi to where the newly erected ‘Hollywoodland’ sign. Popcorn and a movie were followed by dinner where they met with film critic Max Dogwood.

Max was a mine of information about the place and soon Donna persuaded him to take them to the newly erected ‘Goldcrest’ studios. After a bit of haranguing the doorman (Donna just doesn’t know when to shut up sometimes!), they were allowed access. The Doctor decided to audition for the latest comedy movie whilst Donna was almost cast in ‘The Beast from the Dark’…

Whilst hanging around on set however, the Doctor encountered movie-mogul Herman P Gordon and soon realized that the businessman was up to no good, trying to secretly manipulate the Hollywood film industry.

After Donna and Max tried to find the Doctor (wandering through several studios), the Doctor had found enough information on Gordon to put a stop to his plans. With some background information from Max, plus a brainwave from Donna in putting a blackmail case together (she does have good ideas sometimes – and that temp work…) and Gordon’s goose was cooked! It was a simple case of the Doctor confronting Gordon with what he knew and then handing him over to the authorities.

Then it was time for another movie – the Doctor was buying…

An enjoyable adventure with a new Enemy from the expansion - nasty mogul Herman Gordon. No monsters at all, and I tried hard to trigger the main part of the expansion which is Auditioning for Movies. Although I managed to get to a studio (where Auditions happen), both the Doctor and Donna failed to get cast (and I think Donna would be great in a horror flick!). Time was running out a little, and the DM ramped up fairly easily as Gordon is a fairly easy Enemy to Oppose, so I just concentrated on Defeating him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Episode 2

The year was 1942 when the Doctor and Donna visited Hollywood again. The Second World War was raging around the globe but that didn’t stop films, and celluloid heroes, being made!

After another visit to the cinema, a chance encounter with 2 Hoix in a dark alley – and a lucky hot dog to lure them away – meant that the duo soon realized that they weren’t the only visitor to Hollywood. An Abzorbaloff had also arrived and when the Doctor started their investigations, took the opportunity to attack Donna when she wandered off on her own. Fortunately it was just a scrape and Donna took flight when she had the chance!

Meanwhile the Doctor had followed a trail to the famous Chinese theatre where he also encountered the foul creature but managed to discover that the alien just had food on his mind, with the goal to absorb as many visitors to the theatre as possible. Meeting up with Donna again, the pair discovered the Abzorbaloff’s cloaked and stolen time-ship. Gaining entry, they used the ship to round up the Hoix and pinpoint the alien’s location when Donna used the ship’s computer to bring the security program online and create an android to help them search for the Abzorbaloff
Avoiding filmgoers, the Doctor and Donna tracked the Abzorbaloff down and with help from the android, managed to get it back to the time ship that the Doctor had programmed to return to the 51st century and the Time Agency!

Then it was just time to catch the last showing of ‘The Wizard of Oz!’

A very easy Adventure that gave us an Enemy encounter on turn 2 so any Auditions or Relaxing around Hollywood was impossible. Still, the Abzorbaloff can be a bit of a pushover – even if he did Wound Donna when he ambushed her in an encounter! Finding the time ship was a good thing and a handy breakthrough with Computer research gave me an android with enough Bravery to give me a +2DM on the Goal event. Once you can Oppose, the Abzorbaloff isn’t much of a threat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dean
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very intriguing so far - and you've landed the Doctor right in the middle of one of my very favorite film eras! I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this once it drops into the Yahoo group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One day to go . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And now it's out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Took a while, but here's...

Episode 3

When the TARDIS materialized in 1952 Hollywood, Donna was less than thrilled. Things hadn’t changed that much since the last time they had visited – although there was this new kid on the block – television!

The Doctor suggests another tour but Donna soon gets bored – until they spot the red carpet leading up stone steps into the Oscars. But Donna’s mouth can run away with her and the pair, even with the Doctor’s psychic paper, aren’t allowed in. The Doctor isn’t going to give up so easily however and manages to get a cab to the after-show party where they meet charismatic, if overweight, character actor John Hugo. After witnessing a struggling actor and his friends being evicted from the party for being drunk and talking about monsters, Hugo agrees to take Donna and the Doctor on a tour of the nearby Lionheart studios.

Hugo’s limousine pulls up at the gate of the studio where it is ushered inside. But it’s an elaborate trap as Hugo reveals himself, together with 4 other stagehands, to be Slitheen! Fortunately, the Doctor’s fast talking manages to get the pair out of trouble and they manage to eavesdrop whilst the Slitheen discuss their plans – they want to turn the planet into a radioactive cinder and sell off the energy!

The Doctor tries to get a car working but is interrupted as the door opens and in steps a glamorous figure – none other than Marilyn Monroe herself! She takes a liking to the Doctor and, after witnessing a Slitheen bursting from a studio, agrees to help. They stop by the studio security where 2 guards join in the fray as they are surrounded by 5 Slitheen. Again, the Doctor manages to outwit the Slitheen and they escape.

Planning to jury rig a Cadillac convertible into a bomb, the Doctor discovers it more difficult than he realizes and decides to challenge the Slitheen directly. Dousing a lone Slitheen with a vat of citrus lemonade, he finds the Hugo-Slitheen and attempts to bargain with it, but with no success.

Undeterred, the Doctor rejoins Donna, Marilyn and the guards. The Slitheen’s plans are almost complete and the Doctor hurries through the studios trying to find the explosive device. Finding the corpse of a stagehand they know they must be near and as the countdown ticks towards zero, they manage to find the Slitheen device. With the Doctor’s sleight of hand and Marilyn’s seductive powers (that work even on large green aliens), the device is neutralized and the Slitheen menace defeated.

The Slitheen beat a hasty retreat and Donna watches with a grin as Marilyn arranges her supper date with the Doctor…

A lot of fun, and an adventure I could see on TV with a fat Slitheen trying to blow up the studios but defeated with the charms of Marilyn! This one went down to the wire on turn 12 as I just couldn’t Plan to get the Pilot trait needed to get +2DM from the goal event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.