32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 Player low or no luck game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Doe
msg tools
Hi Everyone! I am looking for a game to play with my girlfriend that has little or no luck. We've been playing a lot of Carcassonne (our gateway game), but we're both getting pretty sick of the luck aspect of it. We want something deeper and more strategic/tactical, with less luck. Basically, we both want to feel that we've earned our victories by good play rather than because we happened to get that one key piece.

It's OK if it's complex, but it probably shouldn't be anything too extreme. I am pretty good at figuring out games and rules, and as long as I can teach it to her in a few games it's OK. It's also OK if it is something highly confrontational with a lot of conflict.

Edit: The suggestions made me realize I want something with a theme rather than totally abstract like chess, so there's another criterion. Also, I don't want to push the 'no luck' thing too far. As long as its got less than Carcassonne and is more strategic, I think we would enjoy it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb

No luck or randomness: Hive
Some randomness, but little luck: Mr. Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stone
United States
Sacramento
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalco wrote:

I was just going to say the same thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only tried Attika with 3 and 4 player, but I have heard that it should be excellent with two players - and it fits your description very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Blohmé
Sweden
Simlångsdalen
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you don't mind doing a bit of crafting, Brass: Lancashire is great as a 2-player game. You just have to download the fan made 2P map available here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus Duo is cheap, has no luck factor at all, is simple to understand, is 2p, and plays quickly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:

No luck or randomness: Hive

I'll second this one; very portable to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
thelastmccabe wrote:
Basically, we both want to feel that we've earned our victories by good play rather than because we happened to get that one key piece.

I know how you feel. Why don't you try an abstract?

Here you have lots of them:

www.iggamecenter.com

I hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,

i hear where u are coming from, Hive is a great example of a good no luck 2 player affair.

But perhaps u just need something with 'less' luck, carc while being a decent game is not really the paramount of 2 player gaming.

i think looking at some good dedicated 2 player games you'll find many good options.

the kosmos 2 player line for example is an excellent starting point.

Is one of our favorite 2 player games.
Campaign Manager

But, honestly the first game that came to my when u said 2 players, deeper and no luck would be
Dungeon Twister

Dont let the theme fool u, this game is all about strategy and no luck.

Let us know what you decide on.

-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I will check some of these out. I don't really want something abstract--something with a theme and some window dressing is better. Although chess was a really good suggestion given that I didn't specify.

I think maybe something with less luck than Carcasonne would be good enough. It doesn't really have to be completely no luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
We will sing to you Doctor... the universe will sing you to your sleep.
mbmbmbmbmb

Hamburgum by Mac Gerdts is a medium-weight, pure strategy/no luck eurogame. It uses a rondel for action selection, and additionally has a building/resource management aspect along with some market manipulation. It also scales well for 2-5 players.

I've heard that his newer title Navegador is also very good and has similarities to the above, but I haven't yet tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper L.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Troyes, Glen More, Race for the Galaxy, Dominion + Expansions, Thunderstone + expansions, Saint Petersburg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is the answer. The only luck is in the order of the starting tiles, and the game is very challenging for 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Caylus, but it might not be for you.

Caylus is a great game, with very little luck, and it plays well with two players. But it might be a little too complex and/or a little too dry for your tastes (although I personally find the theme fits it pretty well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever tried the Carc variant where you have 2 (or 3) tiles in your hand? Tends to be a little more strategic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dungeon Twister
+1 Hive

Aton
Metropolys
Troyes - I know, I know...how can a dice game have little luck? Trust me, it's a brilliant design.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All games have an element of luck, even if that luck represents going first or your opponent making a incidental mistake because they're distracted for one reason or another. Luck is in everything and nothing is without a degree of luck. When a game is made without luck, it's no longer a game, it's called MATHEMATICS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sungarden3 wrote:

Hamburgum by Mac Gerdts is a medium-weight, pure strategy/no luck eurogame. It uses a rondel for action selection, and additionally has a building/resource management aspect along with some market manipulation. It also scales well for 2-5 players.

I've heard that his newer title Navegador is also very good and has similarities to the above, but I haven't yet tried it.

Navegador is very good.

Also, A Castle for All Seasons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
All games have an element of luck, even if that luck represents going first or your opponent making a incidental mistake because they're distracted for one reason or another. Luck is in everything and nothing is without a degree of luck. When a game is made without luck, it's no longer a game, it's called MATHEMATICS.

So do you recommend he change his subject to something like this?:

2 Player game with only the kind of luck caused by going first or your opponent making an incidental mistake because they're distracted for one reason or another, and other kinds of luck like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2-player, not an abstract, low luck... I'd suggest Carcassonne

That aside (and I'd say I don't really think Carcassonne is luck-driven as much as it is about adjusting to random circumstances), maybe you want to have a look at Power Grid. Moderately random (and in a way that gives you more than enough time to prepare for the new plants that come out each turn), with a palpable theme (strange as it is) and definitely a thinker's game, with a lot of interaction between players - no multiplayer solitaire at all.

Another thing you can do is pretend that Battle Line is not an abstract whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:

Even if that weren't a pedantic pile of pucky, the O.P. asked about a game "that has little or no luck".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wallace
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6th Circle Nethermancer in Service of the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hive

And I highly recommend Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation ...awesome game, dripping with theme, bluffing/outguessing is involved, as is information hidden from the other player, but no luck otherwise. One of my favorite 2-player games.

Puerto Rico also has some AWESOME 2-player variants and the only luck is in plantation draws.... LOW luck, very competitive Euro with a theme that works (though not "exciting" per se).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
skyzero wrote:

So do you recommend he change his subject to something like this?:

2 Player game with only the kind of luck caused by going first or your opponent making an incidental mistake because they're distracted for one reason or another, and other kinds of luck like that

Yes!!!!! and touche
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.