badge
mb
Let's take a look at Peddler.

----------
Cost: 8*

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

During your buy phase, this costs $2 less per Action card you have in play, but not less than $0.
----------

Nothing spectacular here. Yet, all the time I see opponents online buying Peddler with $6 or $7 instead of a Gold or a better $5 card when they play an action or more. I've also seen it purchased instead of a Province with $8+ and no actions in play a few times. I assume they do this because they see the card with a $8 cost and assume that it is the best action available because of that high cost.

If the cost was fixed and not variable, how much would it cost? As a comparison:
Bazaar provides +1 Card/+2 Actions/+$1 and costs $5
Treasury provides +1 Card/+1 Action/+$1, can sometimes be returned to the top of your deck, and costs $5
Market provides +1 Card/+1 Action/+1 Buy/+$1 and costs $5
Tournament provides +1 Action, provides +1 Card/+$1 if opponents don't have a Province in hand, allows you to gain a prize if you have a Province in hand, and costs $4

Peddler is usually not worth $5, as it is usually inferior to the listed $5 cards (and I've seen it purchased instead of these cards many times). I'd probably put it at about the same level as Tournament - $4.

I realize that in a very small number of situations (i.e. Bishop, Forge, and other remodeling cards), it might be advantageous to pay near full price for a Peddler. But usually that is not the case. I'm even hesitant to pay $4 for a Peddler most of the time if there are other decent $4 cards available and mostly just go for it when I can get it for $2 or $0 and have multiple buys.

So what are your thoughts? How much would a fixed cost Peddler be worth? Is it highly overrated by most lesser experienced players? How often do you buy Peddlers and in what situations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting what you chose to compare it to. I've always felt the most direct comparisons were Pawn and Conspirator, which I've always felt it was between, and therefore has an effect worth three.

But that is irrelevant due to the way you can pick them up. If you are the first person to be able to spam buy them for $0 and can load up before anyone else, certainly the amount of good they are doing to your deck en masse is worth more than that effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peddler is a special case. It's a cantrip (+1 Card, +1 Action) whose price reduces based on the number of Action cards played. That means that it itself makes other Peddlers cheaper in a very effective way. For that reason, it might be worth paying 8 for your first Peddler if there are no other cantrips on the board, especially if something like King's Court and/or Conspirators is available.

If it did not have the variable price, obviously it would compare badly against similar $5 cards, like the ones you mention, but it would compare favorably against similar $4 cards. It would also be a boring card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
one thing you didn't mention is that buying an expensive peddler early helps you to get cheap ones later. that said, ya, without extra buys they're pretty pointless. i'm not sure how you can make it worth a tournament, though, as they're basically the same card (at 4), but without the possibility of the steed or followers. it's probably a bad 4 or a great 3.

Beaveman wrote:
Let's take a look at Peddler.

----------
Cost: 8*

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

During your buy phase, this costs $2 less per Action card you have in play, but not less than $0.
----------

Nothing spectacular here. Yet, all the time I see opponents online buying Peddler with $6 or $7 instead of a Gold or a better $5 card when they play an action or more. I've also seen it purchased instead of a Province with $8+ and no actions in play a few times. I assume they do this because they see the card with a $8 cost and assume that it is the best action available because of that high cost.

If the cost was fixed and not variable, how much would it cost? As a comparison:
Bazaar provides +1 Card/+2 Actions/+$1 and costs $5
Treasury provides +1 Card/+1 Action/+$1, can sometimes be returned to the top of your deck, and costs $5
Market provides +1 Card/+1 Action/+1 Buy/+$1 and costs $5
Tournament provides +1 Action, provides +1 Card/+$1 if opponents don't have a Province in hand, allows you to gain a prize if you have a Province in hand, and costs $4

Peddler is usually not worth $5, as it is usually inferior to the listed $5 cards (and I've seen it purchased instead of these cards many times). I'd probably put it at about the same level as Tournament - $4.

I realize that in a very small number of situations (i.e. Bishop, Forge, and other remodeling cards), it might be advantageous to pay near full price for a Peddler. But usually that is not the case. I'm even hesitant to pay $4 for a Peddler most of the time if there are other decent $4 cards available and mostly just go for it when I can get it for $2 or $0 and have multiple buys.

So what are your thoughts? How much would a fixed cost Peddler be worth? Is it highly overrated by most lesser experienced players? How often do you buy Peddlers and in what situations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a fixed-cost Peddler should probably be priced at about $4. (It doesn't have Tournament's benefit of possibly giving you a prize, but it doesn't have Tournament's drawback of becoming much less useful in the later game.)

If the set supports medium to long action chains with extra buys, I'll go for Peddlers (frex, if Market is in the set), or if trash-for-benefit cards are in play (which isn't that rare, there are a fair number of them: Remodel, Salvager, Bishop, Apprentice, Expand, even Upgrade if Platinum is in play -- probably a couple I'm not remembering off the top of my head). Without extra buys or trash-for-benefit I'll usually ignore Peddler. I wouldn't say that I've seen people going for Peddler when they shouldn't, very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more note on Peddler occurs to me: it's a great defense against Saboteur (like that card needed to be weaker!) and Swindler. In fact, if your opponent has a couple of Swindlers, buying out the Peddlers before you start buying Provinces becomes an essential defensive move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
How much would a fixed cost Peddler be worth?

Exactly $4 I'd think. At three, it's better than silver for almost all of the game and also does better than the non-clogging cards people pick up. It's obviously not five.

Beaveman wrote:
Is it highly overrated by most lesser experienced players?

I don't know about highly overrated. To them, it may be an obvious strategy that they can actually execute well. If they're routinely buying peddlers at six without exploiting the face value, then that's a mistake, but there are still a few niche strategies where that's logical.

I don't view it as a trap card, unlike village or workshop. It's possible that people are just better by the time they play prosperity, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I'm surprised so many people here think $3 would be the right price for a flat +1 Card +1 Action +$1 card. It would be very powerful even for a $4 card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilkins
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
My Sea Hag got Sea Hagged... might as well drink my own piss
mbmbmbmbmb
Peddler would be a solid $4 card... underpowered at $5, but overpowered at $3.

It's worse than Market ($5), as it does not provide the +buy.
It's worse than Treasury ($5), as it can never be returned to the top of your deck.
It's worse than Bazaar ($5), as it does not give you an additional action.

It compares very favorably to Conspirator ($4) and Tournament ($4). Peddler gives less money than Conspirator but is never terminal. Tournament gives access to Prizes but does not always have a guarentee that you will get +$1, +1 card.

Don't underestimate the power of accumulating money through self-replacing cards in the action phase, even it is just $1 at a time. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is an action card in Dominion that is self-replacing and gives money to spend that costs $2 or $3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.