Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reviews I've read have convinced me that I'll love this game. I see that it is scheduled to be reprinted, that there is an expansion map already available, and that another expansion map might be in the works. I will be purchasing the game when the new edition is released.

Is the expanded map being rolled into the second edition? If not, is the expanded map considered a must-have even for new players?

A breakdown on what a noob should know before making a purchase of High Frontier would be much appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the High Frontier Expansion is a must-buy for High Frontier. If you're not sure, just read the living rules posted here. Read the basic rules, then the expanded rules, and see if you'd be satisfied with just the basic rules.

I don't think you need the High Frontier Poster Map unless you're going to play it a heck of a lot, or you're a super-fan of spaceflight or Eklund's designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The expanded map is gargantuan. No way would it fit into the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Millar
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You'll probably want to play a few games with just the basic set before you're ready to play with the expanded set, but a new player might want to buy both together (as I did) to save shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Soller
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a dumb question but...if we talk about a "map"...are these actually real game boards or are they more like paper maps? I assumed it was a board but sometimes I am not sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eklund
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Argorius wrote:
This may be a dumb question but...if we talk about a "map"...are these actually real game boards or are they more like paper maps? I assumed it was a board but sometimes I am not sure!

The basic game comes with a fullsize mounted board. The expansion comes with a fullsize mounted board.

The uber-deep-space map is ordered separately through a third party printer and has whatever characteristics or gloss or finishes or framing you pay for... but is generally a poster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The pre-order is up at Boards & Bits, and it shows an edition marked as (Revised). Would this just be updates to the rulebook, since there is a set of living rules online? Or are there other changes from the original?

http://www.boardsandbits.com/advanced_search_result.php?sear...=

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Leao
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
Chiming in here too as an interested party...I am itching to buy this with expansion but if a reprint looms.....question is when?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.