BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Hosting a small game "marathon" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Chavez
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
In the near future, I will be hosting a small (~6p) board game marathon (1-day tournament) with some local friends. We may do this on a recurring basis if it goes well. I'm hoping the BGG community can offer some advice based on past experiences doing something similar.

Right now, my biggest challenge is dealing with games that we want to play that do not support 6 players (many cap out at 5). So far, I have come up with two possible solutions but I don't think either of them are ideal.

Solution 1:
Mix in non-6p games by playing 2 games that support 3 players at once. Later (not necessary immediately), the two previous groups of 3 would swap games and repeat. The biggest problem I for-see with this solution is variance in game length and the fact that inter-group socialization would make it harder for both groups to complete their games as effectively as if everyone were in the same game. The shorter the game, the less applicable this issue...but there are a _lot_ of 3-5 person games that look interesting but take 2-3 hours to play .

Solution 2:
Play with only 5 players for 5 games. In this scenario, one person would rotate out for a set of 5 games (again, not necessarily sequentially). Optionally, this person could act as a GM..even for games that do not generally have a need for this role. I see this option as more feasible since we will have a focus on trying new games during this marathon (in part because its fun, and in part to try to avoid some experience biases).

Does anyone have any experience running such an event? Any recommendations on player limit solutions or scoring implementations (in particular with regards to weighting)?

Thanks! Feel free to move this thread if I put it in the wrong place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in running a '6 player' specific event. But, I run a weekly game night at my house. Attendance runs between 4 and 12 people.

I pray that 6 or 7 people isn't the number we get. It's hard at that number.

You are all there together to hang out, but that's hard if you spilt into two groups. The variable time does become a problem. Also, some times when we are at 7 and try and split into a 3 and 4 there's often a harder time getting consensus on what to play. When you all have to agree on one game then a game comes up that you can agree on. But, when there gets to be two choices, sometimes there is a person waffling on which one of the two they'd like less.

I do run a gaming weekend one a year (about 40p). My biggest problem is that variable length. There are times when a table gets going and is never in sink with the other tables. Then you get stuck playing with the same people all day instead of playing with different people.

Find a few 6 player games most of you enjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 is ok. A lot of games are good with 4 and a few are good with 3. 6 is the kiss of death cause playing two 3player games never seems to work so we end up riding the few good 6p games we have like seabiscuit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,
You could play Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) That should solve all your problems in one 10 hour package

For me a day of:

Railways of the World
Power Grid
Citadels
Atlantic Star

among many others would be pretty sweet, indeed.
Dig around for 6P geeklists or threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with solution 2.
Have that person act as rules-lawyer & Judge...plus coffee-maker
It also gives one player a mental break every so often. Handy when you're doing an all-dayer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd split into 4+2 rather than 3+3. Few games play well with 3, but lots play well with 4 and 2, and if the 2 player game is short, they could play several, or use the time to take a break, get some food, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toc13 wrote:
I'd go with solution 2.
Have that person act as rules-lawyer & Judge...plus coffee-maker
It also gives one player a mental break every so often. Handy when you're doing an all-dayer

I kind of thought Solution 1 was better. Just personal preference I guess... you could give points for inverse order of placement, i.e. 6 pts for 1st place, 5 for 2nd, down to 1 for 6th, then for three player games give 3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd. Since the 3-player games will be quicker this would be a pretty good balance.

Also, I believe in Scenario 2 you would need 6 games, right? You will need each person to have a bye, so 6 5-player games would be necessary.

Best solution: find 2 more gamers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davido wrote:
Well,
You could play Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) That should solve all your problems in one 10 hour package

For me a day of:

Railways of the World
Power Grid
Citadels
Atlantic Star

among many others would be pretty sweet, indeed.
Dig around for 6P geeklists or threads.

I'll have to second atlantic star. Citadels also works with 6, and plays quickly. 7 Wonders is another everyone can get involved in and plays quick even with that number of people. Power grid has some downtime with 6 players imo. With six I would suggest quicker games, because sometimes you don't want to get into a longer game to regret the decision for an hour longer than need.
Category 5 works nicely. Elfenland plays 6 but I fear the chaos it will create, and it would definitely go longer than 1 hour, which is max for 6 players imo. Alhambra also has the same problem, but Alhambra the dice game might be a better bet. A game of Liar's Dice is also a good 6 player affair if you have enough dice to go around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with several others - there are plenty of 6p games to fill a day-long marathon. If you do it regularly, and 6 is always the number, I'd switch it up, but multiple dates would also open up other scenarios.

6p fun (in no particular order):
Power Grid
Dominant Species
Struggle of Empires
Medevil Merchant
Union Pacific
I'm The Boss
Wildlife
Imperial

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Found some six-player games Geeklists:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/69321/six-players-mixed-cr...
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/64259/six-player-games-for...
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/51912/you-can-play-this-ga...

May be more. I only looked at the first page. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.