Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read that you are not supposed to spray paint. This was the result of a test with the textured spray paint.

Would be good for a cavern board but not what I am going for.

So if I go the sand and brush route, Do I need to still spray prime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some types of spray have something in them that will have a dissolving effect on Styrofoam. There is a specific type you need to look for that is safe for foam. Check this thread I found via Google.

I need Styrofoam friendly spray paint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't use spray paint on foam. First, there are dangerous vapors. Gamers have been sickened this way. Second, even if it doesn't melt the foam outright it damages the foam, reducing its density, making a mess of things.

When you're done cutting and assembling the foam and before you do whatever is next, get yourself a dollar store paint bush and some 50-50 mixed white glue and water. Paint over the whole foam thing, thick and sloppy, fill all the crevices. Now you're set, you can spray paint it, brush paint it, texture, whatever.

Easy, safe. Cheap. You only need stuff you already have around. Only hassle is that it's an extra drying step, but it doesn't take long.

Sometimes I paint it with full strength white glue and then throw sand all over it to coat and texture in one go.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subhuman wrote:

textured spray paint
sand and brush route

If you're after a textured result, have you considered masonry paint? It's pretty cheap, amazingly durable, and if you're not happy with the texture of the paint on its own, it holds things like sand pretty well in my experience... and because it's thick, it seals the surface of the foam pretty well preventing future solvent use causing a problem.

I covered some styrofoam terrain boards for wargaming a little while ago with masonry paint, and it sealed it enough to wash it with white-spirit-thinned oil paints and not have a problem. As a bonus, the paint is so hard-wearing that hills that are covered by it almost feel like they're cast in plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

I've been wondering if the spray-paint specially formulated for plastic would work on foam... anyone tried it?

I happen to have some "plastic" spray paint (red I think, left over from a halloween costume project a couple years back)... if I think of it I'll experiment (outside of course!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Diluted wood-glue works best, just as Andrew described.

I have also used acrylic house paint as a primer (it was left-over). The paint needed two layers but created a very tough "skin" on the polystyrene. It was possible to write on the surface with a 2B pencil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.