Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which do you find more fun??? Which is the better overall experience? Which is easier to teach? Doesn't matter the scale. I own both Pompeii and Fury of Drac, if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
How many people will be playing? You must play Nuns if it's more than four.

I think they're both kind of lame (and yes, sadly, I own both). Survive is infinitely easier to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're probably equally fun, but the fun is different. Survive is more take-that!-mwahahaha fun. Where Nuns is more like hee-hee-I'm-standing-right-by-you-and-you-can't-see-me fun.

Survive is way easier to teach. Nuns is actually a bit of a pain to teach, especially to any audiences who have never learned LoS before--that was my whole family.

They're both really fun for kids, and they were okay fun for me and other adults in my groups. But eventually, the run dry and now I only have them for those times when the group fits.

EDIT:

I must also add that you shouldn't get Survive with plans to get the mini expansion to play up to six. It totally takes away from the game to have that many players, making way too much downtime. Also, there was that whole sticker issue. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nunemaker
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both. Survive is always a big hit with non-gamers. I find it enjoyable, but it's a little too light for me. I will say that I always have a good experience playing it. There are many little variants to the game to give it variety and the "take-that" component can be really funny with the right people.

Nuns on the Run did not go over well when we played it. In fact my friend who owned it, sold it after one play. We just didn't find it much fun. It was kind of fun to sneak around as a sister, but playing the Abbess was not fun at all.

My vote is for Survive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that Survive is more of a sure-fire hit. I actually really enjoy Nuns on the Run myself, but for every person I hear who likes it, there's someone else who really dislikes it. Common complaints about Nuns is:
- It's very easy to cheat without people ever knowing what you did (or it's a pain for them to check).
- The Line Of Sight rules can be complicated.
- It's easy to keep thinking: "This would be better as a computer game!"
- The theme is not as accessible.
- The rulebook is not laid out very well and you may need to create a couple of house rules on the fly just to get by.

Survive is light, but it's chaotic, mean, let's enjoy-watching-meeples-dying-or-just-barely-escaping fun in under an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive seems to be the way to go! I'll get that. How is the squid expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for Nuns on the Run, it might be more difficult but I think it's the better game.

The best way to start Nuns on the Run with new players is to have a player that knows the game be a novice so they can help the new players. For a first game I wouldn't mind allowing the novices to work together. Once they get the hang of it though they should play on their own!

The most experienced player should always be the guards imho, as that is the hardest role.

Oh, and mind the doors! Every time I play with new players there is at least one person who misses a door and places their marker when I shouldn't be able to see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.