Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Cheap vs. Expensive 10 kingdom cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I Q
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if people have tried examples of 10 of the cheapest kingdom cards (maybe 10 cards each costing 2), and how that game went, and also if people have tried examples of 10 of the most expensive kingdom cards (where they cost 5-7 each (I guess maybe 8 with the Peddler, but that is such a wild card it may throw off the example)), and how that went. I assume the latter pretty much requires prosperity, and likely is a partial big money strategy until the big cards can even be afforded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the latter, pretty much any two sets will let you get away with this (there are 8 cost 5/6 actions in Dominion alone, by my count). And while the opening will likely be dull, "Silver/Silver" isn't an unreasonable opening in many cases anyway. It will swiftly adjust to a standard game.

For the former, you'll have an experience much closer to Big Money. $2 cards tend to be complimentary, as contrasted with $5 cards that you can build a deck around. A few interesting combos suggest themselves, but I've a hunch that Big Money would tend to outpace them. Chapel, naturally, is its own thing, and should probably be classed separately from most $2s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
If all the cards cost $2, I'd probably just ramp Big Money with a Moat or two thrown in for the draw. Even Chapel isn't that attractive with no strong Kingdoms to support it; IIRC, pure Big Money beats Big Money + Chapel in simulations.

For the all-expensive board (presumably consisting of King's Court, Expand, Forge, Harem, Nobles, Adventurer, Hoard, Goons, Grand Market, Bank, with Colonies included), I'd probably use Silvers to get up to $6, then buy Hoard, use that to pick up Nobles and Gold together, and build to Colony.

EDIT: The other option for the $2 game if Chapel isn't one of the included cards, is to open Embargo/Embargo, Embargo the Silvers and Golds, and then be banned from every playing Dominion again by your annoyed opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
EDIT: The other option for the $2 game if Chapel isn't one of the included cards, is to open Embargo/Embargo, Embargo the Silvers and Golds, and then be banned from every playing Dominion again by your annoyed opponents.

There's your winning strategy right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
dominionwinner wrote:
wouldn't opening the same then going for a KC/GM/Goons/forge deck be stronger? Especially with the possibility of adding nobles Edit: for the all expensive board, of course.

Possibly, I suppose. The problem is that Goons' "While in play" clause means that using King's Court doesn't triple the VP earned. Combine that with the facts that you can't build up an Action chain infrastructure with cheaper cards in advance (whereas normally Goons/King's Court can be attached to a lower-cost Village/Smithy-style draw engine) and that you'll need to clog your deck with Silvers and such that don't actually help the combo, and I would guess that money ramp would get its quota of Colonies before the combo deck could get off the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the all-$2, I'd pick up two Courtyards, which draw much better than Moat, and probably just go Big Money otherwise. Chapel/BM is just about even with Big Money; I honestly don't know whether it's worth adding one to Courtyard/Big Money, but I guess I probably would out of habit if nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
traininthedistance wrote:
For the all-$2, I'd pick up two Courtyards, which draw much better than Moat,

Yeah, I blanked and completely forgot Courtyard for some reason. If I recall correctly, Courtyard does almost as well in Big Money as Smithy does in simulations, so it's clearly the best route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
IIRC, pure Big Money beats Big Money + Chapel in simulations.

Chapel is faster than pure big money by a couple turns on average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.